Ahh, yet more censorship in the USA

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
Oh heres a fun one...

From Harpers Magazine:

...in the wake of the september 11th attacks. Clear Channel, with 1200 stations [sic] the largest radio conglomerate in the country, suggested [read:censored] thatDJs refrain from playing the following songs due to their "questionable lyrics"

Here are a few (amongs others) from the list published in the december 2001 issue of Harpers magazine:

(Ive bolded a few that really make me go "wha?")

"Aeroplane" Red Hot Chili Peppers

"America" Neil Diamond

"American Pie" Don McLean

"Another one bites the dust" Queen

"Bad Religion" Godsmack

"Benny & the jets" Elton John

"Blowin in the Wind" Peter Paul and Mary

"Bridge over Troubled Water" Simon and Garfunkel

"Bullet with Butterfly Wings" Smashing Pumpkins

"Daniel" Elton John

"Disco Inferno" Tramps

"Great Balls of Fire" Jerry Le Louis

"He Ain't Heavy, He's My Brother" The Hollies

"Imagine" John Lennon

"Ironic" Alanis Morissette

"Its the End of the World as We Know It" REM

"Knockin' on Heavens Door" Bob Dylan

"Leavin' on a Jet Plane" Peter Paul and Mary (amongst others)

"Lucy in the sky with Diamonds" The Beatles

"Mack the Knife" Bobby Darin

"Na Na Na Na Hey Hey" Steam

"New York, New York" Frank Sinatra

"Peace Train" Cat Stevens

"Rocket Man" Elton John

"Stairway to Heaven" Led Zeppelin

"The End" The Doors

"Ticket to Ride" THe Beatles

"Why got to get out of this Plane" The Animals

"What a wonderful World" Louis Armstrong

Comments

• Reply 1 of 26
    fran441fran441 Posts: 3,715member
    What the heck? That's crazy!

Most of those songs are great and have nothing to do with September 11!
  • Reply 2 of 26
    coughbullsh1tcough

<a href="http://www.snopes2.com/rumors/radio.htm"; target="_blank">http://www.snopes2.com/rumors/radio.htm</a>;

Don't you love Urban Legends?
  • Reply 3 of 26
    Cmon folks, its ^%$%$#%$# Clear Channel

Whatever else did you expect???????

:eek: :confused:
  • Reply 4 of 26
    [quote]Originally posted by Samantha Joanne Ollendale:

<strong>Cmon folks, its ^%$%$#%$# Clear Channel

Whatever else did you expect???????

:eek: :confused: </strong><hr></blockquote>

Please read the reply right above yours. Thanks.

Reading! It's fun!
  • Reply 5 of 26
    willoughbywilloughby Posts: 1,457member
    [quote]Originally posted by Scott H.:

<strong>

Please read the reply right above yours. Thanks.

Reading! It's fun!</strong><hr></blockquote>

Dude, you're so evil sometimes
  • Reply 6 of 26
    moogsmoogs Posts: 4,296member
    Willoughby and Homer are right you know...you really *can't* win friends with salad.

By the way Harpers , remember this useful slogan: "Fact-checking...it's not just for newspapers anymore!"

• Reply 7 of 26
    It may not even be in Harpers. A lot of these legends have some type of credibility tagged onto them so as to make them more believe able.
  • Reply 8 of 26
    [quote]Please read the reply right above yours. Thanks.

Reading! It's fun!<hr></blockquote>

oooops!!!!!

:eek: :o :o
  • Reply 9 of 26
    emaneman Posts: 7,204member
    That would be ridiculous if it was true.
  • Reply 10 of 26
    jeezus. scott h gets the 'bitchslap of the month' award.

a little harsh, eh scott?
  • Reply 11 of 26
    noahjnoahj Posts: 4,503member
    [quote]Originally posted by Willoughby:

<strong>coughbullsh1tcough

<a href="http://www.snopes2.com/rumors/radio.htm"; target="_blank">http://www.snopes2.com/rumors/radio.htm</a>;

Don't you love Urban Legends? </strong><hr></blockquote>

Actually the origional quote did get it right.

[quote]From Harpers Magazine:

...in the wake of the september 11th attacks. Clear Channel, with 1200 stations [sic] the largest radio conglomerate in the country, suggested &lt;probably added by The ToolBoi&gt;[read:censored]&lt;/probably added by The ToolBoi&gt; thatDJs refrain from playing the following songs due to their "questionable lyrics"<hr></blockquote>

The quote from snopes:

[quote]Sound System that had fictional lyrics too eerily similar to the truth.

(Despite Slate's spin on the issue, Clear Channel did not deny that such a list existed. They maintained, correctly, that "Clear Channel Radio has not banned any songs from any of its radio stations.")

Although some of the entries on this list might make it appear a humorous parody at first glance, many stations are indeed forgoing even songs such as "What a Wonderful World" under the philosophy that upbeat music is inappropriate at this time: <hr></blockquote>

So the quote is correct, the list was suggested, but not a mandate. The hype surrounding it makes it seem as though they were censoring, they weren't. It was however an attempt by some well meaning suits to put a PC policy in place so that inappropriate songs would not be aired that would make people that listened to their stations uncomfortable.

As Scott H so kindly put it:

[quote]Reading! It's fun!<hr></blockquote>

And can be quite educational and illuminating when read for comprehension rather than speed.
  • Reply 12 of 26
    buonrottobuonrotto Posts: 6,368member
    Individual censorship for better or worse comes with the "free speech" and "free will" baggage too. As long as it isn't our government doing the censorship, they have the right to do it.
  • Reply 13 of 26
    So I guess this is why all you hear on the radio today is that Enya crap.

If you want private organization to be more open, don't become a lawyer. Lawyers and our overly involving judicial system, (and the way lawyers fiddle with people in order to put more money in their pockets) is a big part of the reason why America is hypersensitive and politically correct. Everyone is afraid of being sued for hurting peoples' feelings these days.

So you can blame it partly on our government for not enacting a frivolous suit fee.
  • Reply 14 of 26
    applenutapplenut Posts: 5,768member
    [quote]Originally posted by Splinemodel:

<strong>So I guess this is why all you hear on the radio today is that Enya crap.</strong><hr></blockquote>

Could have sworn all I heard was mandatory metallica
  • Reply 15 of 26
    [quote]So I guess this is why all you hear on the radio today is that Enya crap.<hr></blockquote>

[quote]Could have sworn all I heard was mandatory metallica<hr></blockquote>

The music that monopolizes radio (as well as the piped sound in supermarkets, malls boutiques etc etc) is those hoards of ersatz bland "fake R&B" singers who all have similar voices, attempt the same gymnastic vocal 'turns' a la Whitney Houston/Michael Bolton style, with about as much "soul" as so many boxes of breakfast cereal. Why is commercial radio so in love with muzak? Do people buy this stuff because it gets so much airplay, or does it get so much airplay because so many people buy it? !!

Not forgetting Led Zeppelin; every time I switch on my loacl station, I get an earful of 'Black Dog' or 'Kashmir'. At least they are half decent songs...but....

enough said.
  • Reply 16 of 26
    [quote]Originally posted by NoahJ:

<strong>So the quote is correct, the list was suggested, but not a mandate. The hype surrounding it makes it seem as though they were censoring, they weren't. It was however an attempt by some well meaning suits to put a PC policy in place so that inappropriate songs would not be aired that would make people that listened to their stations uncomfortable.

As Scott H so kindly put it:

And can be quite educational and illuminating when read for comprehension rather than speed. </strong><hr></blockquote>

But your list is, at best, made up. How do you know what's on the list?
  • Reply 17 of 26
    By the way Harpers , remember this useful slogan: "Fact-checking...it's not just for newspapers anymore!"

Its my fault, I did read that for more than it was (I hadnt realized how little "sugested" meant in this case, but still its rediculous.

and if you read both my post and the link...

Link:

Clearly (no pun intended), Clear Channel's stations were still making their own choices about what music to program, as The New York Times reported

my post:

...in the wake of the september 11th attacks. Clear Channel, with 1200 stations [sic] the largest radio conglomerate in the country, suggested [read:censored] thatDJs refrain from playing the following songs due to their "questionable lyrics"

English 101:

yes, when you add something in square brackets to a quote it implies that it wasnt in the original. For notes you use round brackets (brackets vs. parenthesis (sp?) ).

However I wil ladmit that I was making a mountain out of a mole hill. Not hard to do obviously considering the responses.

As long as it isn't our government doing the censorship, they have the right to do it.

:eek: :eek: :eek:

You are kidding right? Its ok for AOL or for Sony (who owns the majority share of... oh bother... the company that owns MTV, their name has slipped out of my head) to censor what you see, but not the government?

No, over all censorship is bad. Its only excusable in cases such as to protect little kids from awful acts of violence and such, but NEVER acceptable when its censorship of information (well, classified doccuments are acceptable).

So I guess this is why all you hear on the radio today is that Enya crap.

Lucky you, all we get up here is Nsync, Backstreet boys, Britney, and once in a while a small bit of OLP or some other semi reasonable band (actually Ive kinda learnt to like Staind, which is scary if you think about it...)

But your list is, at best, made up. How do you know what's on the list?

quote:

"Reading! Its fun!"

"And can be quite educational and illuminating when read for comprehension rather than speed."

[ 01-18-2002: Message edited by: The Toolboi ]</p>
  • Reply 18 of 26
    [quote]So I guess this is why all you hear on the radio today is that Enya crap.<hr></blockquote>

I beg to differ, you can't get on a modern rock station or MTV2 without doing an Eddie Vedder impersonation in all of your songs.
  • Reply 19 of 26
    groveratgroverat Posts: 10,872member
    I'd like to hear Enya do an Ed Vedder impersonation!

(Doc, that's a weak signature)
  • Reply 20 of 26
    andersanders Posts: 6,523member
    [quote]Originally posted by groverat:

<strong>I'd like to hear Enya do an Ed Vedder impersonation!

(Doc, that's a weak signature)</strong><hr></blockquote>

She would turn into something you hear in the supermarked without even noticing she was trying to sound like him. NEVER underestimate the power of Enya.

The other way round on the other hand... :eek: