AT&T responds to 'false and misleading' Verizon ads

Posted:
in iPhone edited January 2014
AT&T has issued a note to its customers disputing claims made in Verizon's latest string of advertisements, over which the two companies are now engaged in a lawsuit.

"As the U.S. market leader in wireless data service, we typically don't respond to competitors' advertising," AT&T began its letter, entitled 'AT&T sets the Record Straight on Verizon Ads.' "However, some recent ads from Verizon are so blatantly false and misleading, that we want to set the record straight about AT&T's wireless data coverage."

It goes on to explain that AT&T's wireless data network reaches nearly all of the U.S. population, and details the differences between 3G, EDGE and GPRS data connections.

It's another example of AT&T becoming proactive, and stepping up its efforts to portray its network in a positive light in the face of Verizon's attacks.

The letter follows Thursday's news that AT&T has amended its federal complaint against competitor Verizon Wireless, seeking a restraining order against holiday season ads that have attacked its network and described the iPhone as "misfit" because of poor 3G coverage. Previously, AT&T had filed a complaint against other Verizon ads that criticized its network, using the tagline "There's a map for that."

AT&T has argued, as it did again in its newly published letter, that Verizon's advertisements are misleading, suggesting to users with maps of coverage that blank areas represent no signal whatsoever. Verizon's maps demonstrating 3G coverage show its own U.S. map with ubiquitous coverage, while AT&T's service is portrayed as much smaller.

In response to the latest "Island of Misfit Toys" advertisement, AT&T told a federal court that "the image of the sad and wilting iPhone on an island of misfit toys falsely communicates that the iPhone is a broken device because it cannot browse the Web or download applications when outside of AT&T's depicted coverage area."

AT&T's letter to its customers in response to the Verizon ads follows in its entirety:

To Our Customers:

As the U.S. market leader in wireless data service, we typically don't respond to competitors' advertising. However, some recent ads from Verizon are so blatantly false and misleading, that we want to set the record straight about AT&T's wireless data coverage.

The key facts are:

AT&T's wireless data coverage reaches 303 million people ? or 97% of the U.S. population, where they live and work. Our data coverage consists of 3 different types of technology:

3G. 233 million people or 75% of the population are covered by AT&T's 3G network, the nation's fastest.

EDGE. 301 million people or more than 96% of the population are covered by EDGE.

With both 3G and EDGE coverage, customers can access the Internet, send e-mail, surf the Web, stream music, download videos, send photos, text, talk and more. The only difference ? with some data applications, 3G is faster than EDGE

GPRS. Covers 303 million people, allowing you to talk, text, e-mail and access basic websites optimized for wireless.

AT&T is the #1 network for smartphones, with twice the number of smartphone customers than Verizon, our closest competitor. Some of the reasons include:

Most popular smartphones. Unlike Verizon, AT&T offers the most popular smartphones in the industry.

More wireless apps. Unlike Verizon, AT&T customers have access to more than 100,000 applications, more than with any other wireless company.

Talk and E-mail at the same time. Unlike Verizon, AT&T's 3G network lets wireless customers simultaneously talk and surf the web or do e-mail.

Fastest 3G in the nation. Unlike Verizon, AT&T has the nation's fastest 3G network.

Thank you for allowing us to set the record straight. We appreciate your business and will continue to work hard to deliver the best wireless data experience in the industry.

Your AT&T Team

Comments

• Reply 1 of 116
    WOW

Go AT&T!

Put out the stats - thats the way to win

Even though the stats still put you at "#2", these ads make you look a lot further away than you actually are... hopefully this will help change people's minds
  • Reply 2 of 116
    Map vs Map. If AT&T wants to convince customers, put up an updated comparative map. Oh AT&T can't, because it would validate Verizons claim.
  • Reply 3 of 116
    How about Verizon just update their ad to show both 2G and 3G coverage for AT&T in different colors. I am sure that would satisfy someone.
  • Reply 4 of 116
    I can certainly understand AT&T stand point in the law suit. Not many people in general public know what 3G is. If those people simply look at the map, they may very well assume no service coverage in the "blank area".
  • Reply 5 of 116
    If they want to convince the customers, add some towers so I can actually get a signal.
  • Reply 6 of 116
    chronsterchronster Posts: 1,894member
    They will lose. They clearly show 3g coverage and AT&T is clearly butthurt.

This stupid beyond belief. Is Verizon supposed to say "But here's where you can still dial 911" and show a different map?

To those who don't really know much about it, I suppose they could misinterpret what's being shown, but it clearly shows that it's talking about a 3g network.
  • Reply 7 of 116
    chronsterchronster Posts: 1,894member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Avonord View Post

I can certainly understand AT&T stand point in the law suit. Not many people in general public know what 3G is. If those people simply look at the map, they may very well assume no service coverage in the "blank area".

Oh well? AT&T says they're the fastest 3g network. You don't see Sprint running up proving them wrong.
  • Reply 8 of 116
    It's called advertising, AT&T... Grow a thicker skin or get out of the biz.
  • Reply 9 of 116
    teckstudteckstud Posts: 6,476member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by slapppy View Post

Map vs Map. If AT&T wants to convince customers, put up an updated comparative map. Oh AT&T can't, because it would validate Verizons claim.

Right? Excuses , excuses for iPhone's ball and chain.
  • Reply 10 of 116
    teckstudteckstud Posts: 6,476member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ghostface147 View Post

How about Verizon just update their ad to show both 2G and 3G coverage for AT&T in different colors. I am sure that would satisfy someone.

That's AT&T's responsibilty - not Verizon's.
  • Reply 11 of 116
    AT&T has a valid claim that Verizon does try to position 3G coverage as just "coverage", relying on viewer ignorance or misunderstanding. And I think Verizon's claim of "3G" is grossly overstated as my wife's phone has about the same speed as EDGE, even though Verizon claims we're in 3G coverage.

However, AT&T still needs much improvement. There's three coverage gaps on my way to work whereas Verizon has none. It's one thing to have differing speeds, but we're talking holes where you can't make a stinking phone call. Building penetration in some areas is just pathetic, and while not part of the 3G fight, certainly does not put AT&T Wireless in any more of a positive light.

I will say though, that in other states like Florida, I've had nothing but wonderful service with AT&T. But where I currently live, not so much.

Perhaps AT&T needs to suspend their dividend for a few quarters and put the money into their network.
  • Reply 12 of 116
    Not disputing who's right or wrong but one thing is clear: these ads are working as Verizon intended.
  • Reply 13 of 116
    3G is faster if I can even get it to connect, otherwise EDGE is faster just because it will actually connect to the data network.

I typically don't use 3G because I tired of the lack of consistency in the connection (five bars but absolutely no data transfer). Yesterday, I turned 3G on to try to download something. I forgot to switch it back to EDGE. After I got home from work, I realized my error and switched over to EDGE then a funny thing happened - a flood of notifications came through on my iPhone, notifications that apparently were building up on the push server for a large portion of the workday.

Fastest? perhaps but certainly not consistently. Most reliable? I hope not. If there's worse, I pity the people who have to use it.
  • Reply 14 of 116
    Hey AT&T,

Why don't you put your writers to work and write me a letter explaining why I get so many freakin dropped calls and late texts! If/when Verizon gets an iPhone I will be long gone back to the network that actually worked.

Stick that on your map!
  • Reply 15 of 116
    Having been an iPhone user from the beginning and listening to 3 years of horror stories on blogs about users not getting 3G service, the service not being fast enough to support MMS and charging me an extra $10 a month for 3G service I could not receive in my area a year ago, I'm going to have to side with Verizon.

AT&T does the minimum amount of work it takes to make their customers barely happy. Had 3rd parties not held AT&T accountable for their crappy network, my phone would still be dropping down to EDGE.

AT&T = U.S. Postal Service
  • Reply 16 of 116
    newbeenewbee Posts: 2,055member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by BenRoethig View Post

If they want to convince the customers, add some towers so I can actually get a signal.

Why is it that some people would rather sit around and complain about everything rather than actually do something about it. If you're not happy with AT&T feel free to go somewhere else .... OTOH I guess that wouldn't fit your agenda.
  • Reply 17 of 116
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by subie09lega View Post

3G is faster if I can even get it to connect, otherwise EDGE is faster just because it will actually connect to the data network.

I typically don't use 3G because I tired of the lack of consistency in the connection (five bars but absolutely no data transfer). Yesterday, I turned 3G on to try to download something. I forgot to switch it back to EDGE. After I got home from work, I realized my error and switched over to EDGE then a funny thing happened - a flood of notifications came through on my iPhone, notifications that apparently were building up on the push server for a large portion of the workday.

Fastest? perhaps but certainly not consistently. Most reliable? I hope not. If there's worse, I pity the people who have to use it.

If At&t would actually offer a dynamic product with clear coverage. it would be a game changer.

sadly, as a ATT customer, i know first hand how crappy the 3G coverage is. and in a major city like los angeles. or New York... it just is too hard to get data at all. let alone use your iphone for anything requiring data. like visual voicemail.

I also have a Verizon Data card... so i see that Verizon data coverage actually works and i like it alot, even when i was on the road ... on the highway in farflung places. it worked excellent.

try that with ATT???? no way. their 3G coverage.... "the Fastest 3G network" as their ads state. rarely works properly for me.
  • Reply 18 of 116
    Fsck all the bullsh*t!

When is the price war going to start?

Can I get a "like a iPhone" for a fraction of the price of the real one?

And can I get a waterproof float case for it lest it be dropped overboard while fishing?

I just rather have iPhone apps on my Mac, WHERE THEY BELONG!!

You know, it was the fad to sell Mac's at the time, called Widgets or something.
  • Reply 19 of 116
    My service drops calls constantly. AT&T should be on their toes because the moment Verizon gets a Iphone, I will pay whatever the cancellation cost is.

I am glad Verizon got their attention.
  • Reply 20 of 116
    The advert looks pretty fair to me. It is showing a device that is 3G capable, and saying it can download apps and data more quickly and then shows that the 3G coverage is not universal.

As far as AT&T's stats go, you may have 75% coverage in populated areas, but most people want a mobile phone, to be, well, mobile. So you need to cover geographical coverage. It looks like you onl have about 20% there!!

Phil