football fans: best and worst commentators?

rokrok
Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
you just can't pry me away from a t.v. on sundays (and saturdays during the college season), so i just wanted to see what others think.

for my time, i think pre-game best goes to espn, hand down. considering they haven't changed that crew in years is a testament to how good they really are, and very insightful to boot (though it took steve young a year to shake the cobwebs and get into his role, but he's 110% better than he was a year ago).

WORST pre-game has gotta be CBS. ditka can't talk, glanville tries to upstage everyone by yelling every sentence, deion think he's still up in tha 'hood, and someone needs to remind randy cross and his hair that it's the nFl, not the nHl (reference to that ever-so-subtle hockey-hair mullet of his).

almost as bad is fox... they think that arguing with each other is just so funny, while howie long is sitting there thinking "i could crush you all with my knowledge of football." jimmy kimmel's entertaining, and they give him just enough airtime to do so, without getting stale. the "weather-girl" thing is pathetic, though. but i am guessing that's jimm'y man-show influence.

game-time commentators, for me, BEST is the espn sunday night team (pity they get crap games 85% of the time). can't think fot he worst... there are just too many bad b-team players to mention.

so there's my thoughts. chime in if you want.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 5
    buonrottobuonrotto Posts: 6,368member
    Dan Fouts is the master of the non-commentary. Hell, Dennis Miller is more insightful despite his amateur knowledge.

Simms and Madden and MacGuire are the best color commentators. I don't have any strong opinions for most of the play-by-play fellows.

Hockey play-by-play is much more difficult and fun to listen to. NFL guys don't get into it like Doc Emerick does. The color commentators in hockey are also far more, uh, colorful. The Flyers' local commentators (they have 2) are so completely biased -- from the Broadstreet Bully teams of the 70's so there's never enough goon action. Chico Resch is another funny if not so insightful guy.
  • Reply 2 of 5
    oops. double post. oh, well.

Let me just add that Joe Theismann is great comic relief. Is he always so wrong?

[ 01-19-2002: Message edited by: BuonRotto ]</p>
  • Reply 3 of 5
    rokrok Posts: 3,519member
    yes, joe is always that wrong, but that's what makes it fun to watch him (plus, he knows it).

i'm probably committing football sacrilege here, but madden/summerall are the most BORING pair on earth. they're really professional and know a lot, but summerall's delivery of a touchdown as time expires is just as deadpan as a field goal trailing 51-6.
  • Reply 4 of 5
    Well, since Summerall stopped drinking...

Ooh, I deserve to be slapped for that one.
  • Reply 5 of 5
    jeffyboyjeffyboy Posts: 1,055member
    My all time favorite team is the Monday night crew of Michaels, Gifford and Dierdorf. Miller's funny, but those guys were perfect.

I find it hard to believe anyone would argue the fact that Madden and Summeral need to be placed in a wax museum. Madden's totally predictable-I can guess his call WORD FOR WORD half the time, and Pat just gets lost out there.

I like the Espn guys a lot, too. Joe is so cheerfully oblivious!

I wish Dick Enberg did more football, he's my favorite any-sport announcer ever. Football, basketball, tennis, golf, does it all so well.

Worst- any former player (usually a lineman) that tries to cop Madden's vibe. There have been a ton, but Matt Millen was the worst.

Jeff

[ 01-19-2002: Message edited by: jeffyboy ]</p>