iMac HD Partion Recommendations

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited January 2014
I just ordered a new 27" iMac with the 2Tb upgrade option for the HD. It is currently in shipping transit, so I do not have it in my possession.

When I do get it, my question to the forum is, "before I do anything for setup, do you recommend creating two hard drive partitions (i.e. 30%/70%, 50%/50% or 70%/30%)"? I want to get this right from the start, because the iMac does not allow me to just add a HD. My plan for this desktop unit is to work with a lot of pictures, itunes (backup entire music catalog) & video editing. Maybe, just maybe if I can not avoid it, running windows with boot camp and/or parallels. I was wondering if it would help improve performance to have all of my pics/itunes/video on one partition? If I did load windows on one partition, can virus problems impact the mac partition?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 1
    bbwibbwi Posts: 812member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by kjkelley View Post

do you recommend creating two hard drive partitions

I don't. I do recommend an external HD for Time Machine

Quote:

I was wondering if it would help improve performance to have all of my pics/itunes/video on one partition?

Not really. Unless you're working with very large pictures (RAW images) or pro video. If you're just working on videos of the kids I wouldn't worry about it

Quote:

If I did load windows on one partition, can virus problems impact the mac partition?

Potentially, yes, but it would be a slim chance and have to be a real nasty virus. Use AV on your Windows partition