TomTom app updated to support iPod touch, first-gen iPhone

Posted:
in Mac Software edited January 2014
TomTom has officially released update version 1.2 for its iPhone app, adding support for both the iPod touch and the first-gen iPhone when used in conjunction with its car kit.

Version 1.2 was submitted on Nov. 12 and was released Wednesday. The new version contains updates to maps and IQ Routes. Added features include advanced lane guidance, text-to-speech, integrated iPod player support, and support for the iPod Touch and first-generation iPhone.

The TomTom app was released in August and is available from the App Store for $99.99 USD.

In order to successfully use the app on the newly supported Touch and 1st-gen iPhones, TomTom's car kit is required. This is due to the fact that both devices lack an integrated GPS receiver.

TomTom's car kit is a cradle which contains a GPS module, integrated speaker, charger, and line out. It is not required when the TomTom app is paired with the iPhone 3G and 3GS. The kit retails for USD $119.95.

Full list of what's new in 1.2:

Improved search and route summary screens

Updated map from v8.30 to v8.35

Updated points of interest database

Updated IQ Routes database with millions of new measurements

Added Advanced Lane Guidance in both portrait and landscape mode

Added Text-to-speech in English US, English UK, English Australia, French Canada, Spanish Latin America

Added Help Me! emergency menu

Added iPod player support

Added support for original iPhone and iPod touch (all models)

Comments

• Reply 1 of 28
    Quote:

Full list of what's new in 2.1:

Should that not be 1.2?

Also, looks like it may only be the US version. The UK and Ireland version doesn't yet state ipod touch or iPhone 1G compatibility.
  • Reply 2 of 28
    Huh, this reads like the car kit has a full GPS unit built into it. That would be needed to support the non=GPS iPhone and Touch and explains a little more as to why it is so expensive.
  • Reply 3 of 28
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by EMoeller View Post

Huh, this reads like the car kit has a full GPS unit built into it. That would be needed to support the non=GPS iPhone and Touch and explains a little more as to why it is so expensive.

Exactly. And the sirf chip that is in the car kit is MUCH more sensitive than whats in the iphone, not to mention the nice speaker thats included. A lot of those who say the car kit is just not needed, don't seem to understand these features!
  • Reply 4 of 28
    Really?? There's an award for "navigation experience"? Who knew?

Well, at least they won (although I'm guessing the list of entries is pretty small).
  • Reply 5 of 28
    Hmmm... Seems like the app isn't selling well, so they are widening the user pool. I doubt if it was selling as they hoped they wouldn't bow down to those "lowly" 1st gen users. I was going to buy it, but waited to see if they might lower the price or fix bugs. Then the new Google Directions app was annonced for Android, so hoping it comes to iPhone soon. The TomTom app is prob great, but $99 or whatever is too much - esp if others are cheaper or free apps are going to br just as good. I'll wait for Google.
  • Reply 6 of 28
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mesomorphicman View Post

Hmmm... Seems like the app isn't selling well, so they are widening the user pool. I doubt if it was selling as they hoped they wouldn't bow down to those "lowly" 1st gen users. I was going to buy it, but waited to see if they might lower the price or fix bugs. Then the new Google Directions app was annonced for Android, so hoping it comes to iPhone soon. The TomTom app is prob great, but $99 or whatever is too much - esp if others are cheaper or free apps are going to br just as good. I'll wait for Google.

Just hope you never are in an area without cell coverage, because on the google app, the maps are downloaded while its receiving a cell signal. There are NO maps resident in the device, like on Garmin stand alone units, or even the Tom Tom iphone app. With those, you have maps resident in the device.

I have the Garmin app for the Blackberry, and although its a very nice app, it downloads maps over the cell service, just like the google app. I was without cell service in parts of Wyoming, but fortunately had my old Garmin iQue with me. Those resident maps within the device come in handy.
  • Reply 7 of 28
    Maybe I might take another look at TomTom but I still have one big question about the car dock.

Is it possible to play audio though USB when connected to a car stereo or is the USB port only for charging? I'd like to use my iPod Touch for GPS navigation but if I can't get audio out of the USB, than no thanks.

My car stereo does not have a 3.5mm jack.
  • Reply 8 of 28
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by rkevwill View Post

Just hope you never are in an area without cell coverage, because on the google app, the maps are downloaded while its receiving a cell signal. There are NO maps resident in the device, like on Garmin stand alone units, or even the Tom Tom iphone app. With those, you have maps resident in the device.

I have the Garmin app for the Blackberry, and although its a very nice app, it downloads maps over the cell service, just like the google app. I was without cell service in parts of Wyoming, but fortunately had my old Garmin iQue with me. Those resident maps within the device come in handy.

I was under the impression the Google app d/l the maps when you entered the desired directions and hit "go/start." if that is not the case then I will likely change my thinking. If I must buy then it will be TomTom cuz they seem the best in that price area. Will wait to see what the Google app is whenever it comes out and decide then. I'm in no rush.

-- thanks for the info.
  • Reply 9 of 28
    tofinotofino Posts: 697member
    Quote:

i would guess that the high price is due to the included maps. unlike google map solutions, this will also work when you don't have internet access. considering what you pay for stand alone gps units or add-on maps for those units, the price doesn't seem outlandishly out of line.

i'd also guess that the app was originally released before the support for first gen iphone and ipod touch was finished, rather than because they were holding out on 'lowly 1st gen users'. i seem to remember that support for the ipod touch was promised/announced/hinted at long before the app or the car kit was released. it wouldn't make sense to ignore the enormous ipod touch market when there is no technical reason to make it work with the gps receiver in the kit.

no reason to go into 'conspiracy analysis mode'

(unless they are really out to get you )
  • Reply 10 of 28
    tofinotofino Posts: 697member
    Quote:

I was under the impression the Google app d/l the maps when you entered the desired directions and hit "go/start." if that is not the case then I will likely change my thinking. If I must buy then it will be TomTom cuz they seem the best in that price area. Will wait to see what the Google app is whenever it comes out and decide then. I'm in no rush.

-- thanks for the info.

i have not heard that. the amount of data could be quite substantial for long distances, depending on zoom levels i think. there are some iphone apps that let you do that, not sure google does that by default on android.
  • Reply 11 of 28
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tofino View Post

i have not heard that. the amount of data could be quite substantial for long distances, depending on zoom levels i think. there are some iphone apps that let you do that, not sure google does that by default on android.

Maybe I'm still not clear but, seems the original point was that you NEED service for Google to DOWNLOAD the map. If you don't have a data link when you hit "go", you're SOL.
  • Reply 12 of 28
    Quote:

-- thanks for the info.

It downloads the route and a little bit of information about the area around the route in case you go off route

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2009/10...le_navigation/
  • Reply 13 of 28
    Nice. Pushes me a little closer to buying a Touch. I don't want AT&T cell service. It pushes the cost of a Touch and GPS over $300, but that is still comparable to one of the nicer color stand alone GPSes. I wonder if third party location based apps will be able to get info off the TomTom GPS attachment.

- Jasen.
  • Reply 14 of 28
    Interesting. They did some Photoshopping of a new VW Scirocco interior, inserting a steering wheel like the ones the Golf/Jetta have, and removing the VW logo.

• Reply 15 of 28
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by frugality View Post

Interesting. They did some Photoshopping of a new VW Scirocco interior, inserting a steering wheel like the ones the Golf/Jetta have, and removing the VW logo.

those arent the same interiors, look at the RPM gauge. Im guessing its either a passat or jetta..all they seemed to do was edit out VW logo.
  • Reply 16 of 28
    Just upgraded to 1.2 and Text to Speech seems not to work. Does it require the car kit or does it not work in "Route Demo" mode?

Anyone else tried it out yet?
  • Reply 17 of 28
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by MacHay View Post

Just upgraded to 1.2 and Text to Speech seems not to work. Does it require the car kit or does it not work in "Route Demo" mode?

I have noticed the same thing, and no option anywhere to either enable or disable? In settings there is "Streets on Map" and "Show Current Street" ... but what enables the speech??

Odd, or not working, or simply user unfriendly!!

First post and it's a grumble .. not good!!
  • Reply 18 of 28
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

TomTom has officially released update version 1.2 for its iPhone app, adding support for both the iPod touch and the first-gen iPhone when used in conjunction with its car kit.

Version 1.2 was submitted on Nov. 12 and was released Wednesday. The new version contains updates to maps and IQ Routes. Added features include advanced lane guidance, text-to-speech, integrated iPod player support, and support for the iPod Touch and first-generation iPhone.

The TomTom app was released in August and is available from the App Store for $99.99 USD.

In order to successfully use the app on the newly supported Touch and 1st-gen iPhones, TomTom's car kit is required. This is due to the fact that both devices lack an integrated GPS receiver.

TomTom's car kit is a cradle which contains a GPS module, integrated speaker, charger, and line out. It is not required when the TomTom app is paired with the iPhone 3G and 3GS. The kit retails for USD $119.95.

Full list of what's new in 1.2:

Improved search and route summary screens

Updated map from v8.30 to v8.35

Updated points of interest database

Updated IQ Routes database with millions of new measurements

Added Advanced Lane Guidance in both portrait and landscape mode

Added Text-to-speech in English US, English UK, English Australia, French Canada, Spanish Latin America

Added Help Me! emergency menu

Added iPod player support

Added support for original iPhone and iPod touch (all models)

I am waiting for Xmas to get the app. At $220, it makes the gift giving/receiving affordable.

On the other hand, my wife and son should be able to install the app on their iPod touches for free as we are all using the same iTunes account. If we want to use it in both family cars, I guess another kit @ $120 will be required. And our son will have to do the same to use his iPod touch/TomTom app in his own car. Of course, my iPhone 3G/data plan has more functionality, but my wife's and son's iPod touches won't need the added expense.

However, I could buy my wife a kit, and my wife and I could buy one for our son. Certainly makes my share the least.

What the hell am I talking about. It is all coming out of my pocket in the first place.

One thing for sure, those families with an iTunes account and have iPod touches, can now get very good GPS system(s) comparable to the higher end TomTom's for their vehicles at $120 each.

Now if TomTom could make a 'pedestrian kit', i.e., a 'car kit' sans 'car' charger and mount/adhesive disk, man would that make their app more inviting.

P.S. The TomTom web site has yet to be updated. However, a lot of questions could possibly be addressed in TomTom's respective manuals. The first iteration of TomTom iPhone app, as well as the car kit manuals are available* now. I would imagine the necessary updates to include version 1.2 will be posted soon.

* http://www.tomtom.com/support/suppor...D=3&Language=4
  • Reply 19 of 28
    al_bundyal_bundy Posts: 1,525member
    Quote:

-- thanks for the info.

android phones are limited to a 256MB space for apps. you can download apps to a flash card but then you have to write the app to assume every phone will have one.
  • Reply 20 of 28
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by MacHay View Post

It's not working for me either. Not very happy after I spent an hour updating to version 1.2.