TomTom to release iPod touch-specific GPS car kit

Posted:
in iPod + iTunes + AppleTV edited January 2014
In conjunction with its newly updated App Store software, TomTom announced it will release a car kit that will bring GPS functionality specifically to the iPod touch.

The new TomTom car kit for iPod touch is compatible with both the first- and second-generation iPod touch, and requires iPhone OS 3.0 or later. The hardware will be "available shortly," the company announced this week.

At $99.95, the hardware is $20 cheaper than the car kit for iPhone. According to a TomTom spokesperson, the car kit for iPhone has Bluetooth capabilities, while the iPod touch kit does not. In addition, the iPod touch kit is slightly smaller.

Features of the new hardware, according to TomTom, include:

Secure docking: Award-winning EasyPort mount fixes your iPod touch.

Built-in GPS receiver: The built-in GPS receiver turns your iPod touch into a mobile navigation device.

Clear voice instructions: Built-in speaker allows users to hear instructions.

Line out for music playback: Using the line out connector, users can play songs through a car's audio system with the optional audio cable. The system also fades music when giving directions.

Rotates for optimal positioning: Rotate the screen for widescreen route display. And the kit folds flat, making it easier to move from car to car.

Charges iPod touch while driving: Dock your iPod and have it charge as you drive.

Earlier this week, TomTom updated its application on the App Store to version 1.2, adding support for the first-generation iPhone, as well as the iPod touch. Previously, the software could only be installed on the iPhone 3G and iPhone 3GS.

Both the first-generation iPhone and the iPod touch require car kits, because the devices lack an integrated GPS receiver. The kit also boosts GPS reception with its external receiver for the iPhone 3G and iPhone 3GS. The iPhone car kit retails for $119.95.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 37
    msanttimsantti Posts: 1,377member
    So $100 for the car kit and another $100 for the software.

Ridiculous.

Just buy a standalone GPS for $120.

And Garmin or Magellan software is better IMO.

Good luck Tom Tom.
  • Reply 2 of 37
    Dear TomTom;

Fire your marketing and sales department immediately!

This almost feels like maltreatment. I really wanted to support you guys, but your train wreck of marketing and pricing products have demanded better sense of me to look elsewhere
  • Reply 3 of 37
    Rip off!!
  • Reply 4 of 37
    The navigation software for $100 plus $100 for kit is kind of expensive, but aren't you allowed to distribute the software with devices authorized on the same account?

My wife has the 1G iPod Touch, and I had always considered TomTom for my iPhone. I don't know what the sharing rules are, but I assume it's the same with all apps. So we'd be splitting the software cost which makes it a much more compelling purchase. Additionally, I have two friends who are authorized (back from the DRM days of music) which effectively makes it even cheaper. So ~$25 for software and ~$100 for kit. Not so bad.

Can anyone confirm this is the case?

(Yes, I should just look up the terms and conditions myself. It's Friday and I'm lazy.)

- Greg
  • Reply 5 of 37
    What are the differences between this one and the iPhone version? Will both versions work with the iPhone? At $20 cheaper, why should I not buy this one. I don't neccesarily want the TOMTOM software, but a hand charging dock with line-out would be nice.... oh an whatever happen to the proposed FM transmitter that was supposed to be build-in, did TomTom nix this idea.
  • Reply 6 of 37
    ajayajay Posts: 117member
    can someone please remind me (& maybe others) what are the technical, aesthetic & economic problems of integrating a GPS chip within the iPod Touch? any reason why Apple chose not to do it?
  • Reply 7 of 37
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ajay View Post

can someone please remind me (& maybe others) what are the technical, aesthetic & economic problems of integrating a GPS chip within the iPod Touch? any reason why Apple chose not to do it?

Probably to differentiate between the Touch and the iPhone.

You may see features like this in the Touch as the iPhone advances.
  • Reply 8 of 37
    r00fusr00fus Posts: 245member
    The hardware, if it works for my 3GS, would be worth the money to me.. I have yet to find a working charger for the 3GS (months after release!).. .the old iPod/iPhone chargers don't work.

I also wanted a good car mount and line out integrated.... and woudl like navigation as well.

THis would be a slam dunk... but my wife has a 1G iphone and another family member who drives the car occasionally has a recent iPod touch, so which mount should I buy?

Does the iPod touch mount work with the 3GS? Does the iPhone mount work with the iPod?

As another AI user mentioned, their marketing department is crap.
  • Reply 9 of 37
    wigginwiggin Posts: 2,265member
    Quote:

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Xian Zhu Xuande View Post

Probably both as a differentiator and as a matter of available space, not only for the GPS chip and antenna, but also for a larger battery to run it all. The touch is thinner than the iPhone (which has already come back to bite them in the ass with the camera blunder), so there may not be room for it all unless they redesign the case.
  • Reply 10 of 37
    Clearly, Apple needs to include GPS functionality (not to mention video camera and FM radio) in the next iteration of the Touch. It's absurd to have all these add-ons if we're willing to pay for them to be included.
  • Reply 11 of 37
    Quote:

With a significantly higher price point.
  • Reply 12 of 37
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Abster2core View Post

With a significantly higher price point.

I'm also disappointed that we (as iPod touch owners) are not able to use the virtual world information display overlays that have been popping up (pun intended). Give us a camera lens, positional capability and let us go nuts with it.
  • Reply 13 of 37
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by r00fus View Post

The hardware, if it works for my 3GS, would be worth the money to me.. I have yet to find a working charger for the 3GS (months after release!).. .the old iPod/iPhone chargers don't work.

The Kensington LiquidAUX Deluxe for iPhone and iPod does.

And considering the Kensington at $129, the added features of the TomTom iPhone car kit @ $120 and TomTom iPod kit @ $100 certainly kills the need to buy the Kensington.

http://store.apple.com/ca/product/TR...cwODQ#overview
  • Reply 14 of 37
    Quote:

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Wiggin View Post

Probably both as a differentiator and as a matter of available space, not only for the GPS chip and antenna, but also for a larger battery to run it all. The touch is thinner than the iPhone (which has already come back to bite them in the ass with the camera blunder), so there may not be room for it all unless they redesign the case.

well, there's already a big enough differentiation- the bit where they put a friggin' phone in one & not the other!

but yes, would be nice to see this in future iPod Touch model refreshes - higher price points are probably expected, but may be discounted in part to decreasing cost, like for example, how they keep increasing storage capacity but don't decrease the price substantially.

yes again, the iPod Touch is thinner than the iPhone, but no one's really complaining about the thickness of the iPhone. so a thicker iPod Touch does seem viable especially if they chose to include more features like GPS & (cough!) camera! a redesign of the case is also not a bad idea!

ok, I'm not going to hijack & deviate this thread from the original topic anymore... apologies to everyone for the little bit of distraction!
  • Reply 15 of 37
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Abster2core View Post

The Kensington LiquidAUX Deluxe for iPhone and iPod does.

And considering the Kensington at $129, the added features of the TomTom iPhone car kit @ $120 and TomTom iPod kit @ $100 certainly kills the need to buy the Kensington.

http://store.apple.com/ca/product/TR...cwODQ#overview

$129!?

Why not this at $20? It says right on there that it is compatible with 3GS (it works perfectly with my 3G): http://store.apple.com/ca/product/TS...co=MTA4NTk1MjE
  • Reply 16 of 37
    sdw2001sdw2001 Posts: 18,016member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by msantti View Post

So $100 for the car kit and another $100 for the software.

Ridiculous.

Just buy a standalone GPS for $120.

And Garmin or Magellan software is better IMO.

Good luck Tom Tom.

I agree. They have to be kidding themselves. A dedicated GPS unit must work better. I also don't have to pump it into my stereo to listen to music, disconnect for phone calls, etc. The fact that Tom Tom can't throw in the software for a $100 or $120 cradle is absurd. You can get a decent GPS for $150-200. I don't see any incentive for this.
  • Reply 17 of 37
    Quote:

ok, I'm not going to hijack & deviate this thread from the original topic anymore... apologies to everyone for the little bit of distraction!

Wow! Amazing. Thanks.
  • Reply 18 of 37
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post

$129!?

Why not this at $20? It says right on there that it is compatible with 3GS (it works perfectly with my 3G): http://store.apple.com/ca/product/TS...co=MTA4NTk1MjE

You are right.

However, I was attempting to compare apples with apples so the speak.

The Kensington deluxe car kit comes closer in nature to TomTom's. Both have a 'mounting' system, connection to your car stereo for example, which is not featured in the Griffin.
  • Reply 19 of 37
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SDW2001 View Post

I agree. They have to be kidding themselves. A dedicated GPS unit must work better. I also don't have to pump it into my stereo to listen to music, disconnect for phone calls, etc. The fact that Tom Tom can't throw in the software for a $100 or $120 cradle is absurd. You can get a decent GPS for $150-200. I don't see any incentive for this.

You are correct.

But you can buy a Chevy cheaper than a Lexus.

A highend dedicated GPS unit that has the near functionality of the TomTom car kit runs closer to $400 to $600, not the $120-200 models.

You could buy a Garmin nüvifone G60 GPS Phone, It's list price is only $500.
  • Reply 20 of 37
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post

Wow! Amazing. Thanks.

no problem