Unable to get internet to work on MBP that is connected to WiFi

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited January 2014
I have a MacBook pro that I'm having issues with. It connects to my home Wi-Fi (the n version of the Apple Airport Base Station) and I get a strong signal but whether I use Firefox or any other web browser or internet based program I get a message that I'm not connected to the internet.

I can even select network diagnostics and it walks me through steps where I choose my network, reset my cable modem, base station, etc. and at the end it says it is unable to fix the problem.

i have a 2nd MBP that I use on the same network with no issues at all. This issue started showing up about a month ago but did not happen often. Most of the time it happened when I had shut my MBP down since I had to go take it with me to meetings. Often after removing the battery for a minute I could boot up and it would work but now no matter what I do it won't work.

Any ideas of what could be causing this? I know I may have to go to the genius bar to have this looked at but hope to avoid it. Is there any other troubleshooting I can do? Thanks for your help.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 3
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by markw10 View Post

I have a MacBook pro that I'm having issues with. It connects to my home Wi-Fi (the n version of the Apple Airport Base Station) and I get a strong signal but whether I use Firefox or any other web browser or internet based program I get a message that I'm not connected to the internet.

I can even select network diagnostics and it walks me through steps where I choose my network, reset my cable modem, base station, etc. and at the end it says it is unable to fix the problem.

i have a 2nd MBP that I use on the same network with no issues at all. This issue started showing up about a month ago but did not happen often. Most of the time it happened when I had shut my MBP down since I had to go take it with me to meetings. Often after removing the battery for a minute I could boot up and it would work but now no matter what I do it won't work.

Any ideas of what could be causing this? I know I may have to go to the genius bar to have this looked at but hope to avoid it. Is there any other troubleshooting I can do? Thanks for your help.

Make sure you haven't set up your new MacBook Pro to be using an HTTP proxy. You mention Firefox and other browsers, but does Mail work properly? Are there any internet programs (p2p or chat, for instance) that do work properly?

Or have you incorrectly configured port forwarding on your router, perhaps, so that all HTTP calls go to your other MBP?

Or perhaps you have incorrectly set up the firewall on your new MBP.
  • Reply 2 of 3
    I'm not able to use any internet programs whether iTunes, Firefox, Safari, or Mail. Where would I look to see if it's set up to use an HTTP proxy?

I tried using it at a neighbors house today and it still didn't work so I don't think it's connected to the router I'm using. I'll take a look at the firewall to make sure I didn't change anything by accident.
  • Reply 3 of 3
    Create a new network location and reconfigure everything.