iPod touch camera rumors resurface with claimed spring release

Posted:
in iPod + iTunes + AppleTV edited January 2014
With great evidence that the latest revision of the iPod touch was intended to include a camera, a new rumor suggests Apple will add the feature to a new model set for release in the first half of 2010.

The latest rumor suggests that a new iPod touch with a video camera will arrive with an upgrade next spring. According to an "inside source" who spoke with The Examiner, the new iPod touch will have the same video-only camera that is in the new fifth-generation iPod nano, which was released in September.

The report corroborates what AppleInsider learned in September -- that the latest iPod touch upgrade was originally intended to include a camera, but the feature was scrapped just before release due to a batch of bad parts. But sources have said that Apple still intends to eventually release an iPod touch with a camera.

That Apple intends to release a new iPod touch with camera is not new, but the alleged timing is. In 2008, Apple did a mid-cycle upgrade of the device, offering double the memory in a February debut.

A teardown of the late 2009 iPod touch revealed that it includes space for a video camera like in the iPod nano. The camera space supported previous photos of a purported prototype of the hardware, complete with a centered camera on its back. In addition, numerous third-party cases included space for a camera on the iPod touch.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 92
    hmurchisonhmurchison Posts: 12,423member
    Cool ..I'm buying an 8GB Touch on Black Friday just so I'll have something. I really want a 32GB so I'll wait until that model comes out with a camera. The 8GB will hold me over until then.
  • Reply 2 of 92
    wigginwiggin Posts: 2,265member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

the new iPod touch will have the same video-only camera that is in the new fifth-generation iPod nano

That would be an insult. Apple, make the damn thing 1-2 mm thicker so you can put a real camera in it.

GPS and the compass would be nice, too. But at least get the camera right first!
  • Reply 3 of 92
    That's right. Free camera, same price as current model. And perhaps an FM radio too. That will be a very sweet deal.
  • Reply 4 of 92
    teckstudteckstud Posts: 6,476member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by OC4Theo View Post

That's right. Free camera, same price as current model. And perhaps an FM radio too. That will be a very sweet deal.

Except to those who bought it last September and fell for Steve jobs' crap that it's primarily a gaming device.
  • Reply 5 of 92
    Where is the mic's placement- like the iPhone's? Make it a real Skype phone finally? Is this Apple's AT&T payback for being such a ball and chain and all the bad publicity it's given Apple?
  • Reply 6 of 92
    mactelmactel Posts: 1,275member
    It'll be interesting to see the iPod numbers from Q1 2010 but Apple probably lost some sales due to the lack of a camera with the latest iPod Touch. Why it is that big of a deal I'm not sure? If it packed a 5 mega pixel camera with sould serious digital zoom and auto correct along with a flash then that might replace some consumer cameras.

I'd say Apple should update the camera in January as spring is a bit far away.
  • Reply 7 of 92
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by hmurchison View Post

Cool ..I'm buying an 8GB Touch on Black Friday just so I'll have something. I really want a 32GB so I'll wait until that model comes out with a camera. The 8GB will hold me over until then.

Why black friday? Is Apple discounting it by $5 ?
  • Reply 8 of 92
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by MacTel View Post

I'd say Apple should update the camera in January as spring is a bit far away.

Right? Really piss off all those who bought it in September.

Oh I'm so glad I predicted all this. Where is AI's ear (the one who dwells at the Ansible) to Steve Jobs- eating crow?
  • Reply 9 of 92
    29922992 Posts: 202member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by OC4Theo View Post

wOow, re-inventing the camera and especially the FM radio in an mp3 player... now that's what I'm calling innovation.

Way to go, Apple!

Oups, it's just a rumor, so... maybe they will not.
  • Reply 10 of 92
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by 2992 View Post

wOow, re-inventing the camera and especially the FM radio in an mp3 player... now that's what I'm calling innovation.

Way to go, Apple!

Oups, it's just a rumor, so... maybe they will not.

Hey -Where's solipsism to tell us about what Apple's business model is!
  • Reply 11 of 92
    dimmokdimmok Posts: 359member
    WTF....we dont want that cheap ass Video Only camera on iPod Touch. Please Apple dont slap our faces with something like that....I bought the DSI for my daughter because you guys f'd up the last round.....
  • Reply 12 of 92
    I knew it
  • Reply 13 of 92
    bigpicsbigpics Posts: 1,397member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

With great evidence that the latest revision of the iPod touch was intended to include a camera, a new rumor suggests Apple will add the feature to a new model set for release in the first half of 2010.

The latest rumor suggests that a new iPod touch with a video camera will arrive with an upgrade next spring. According to an "inside source" who spoke with The Examiner, the new iPod touch will have the same video-only camera that is in the new fifth-generation iPod nano, which was released in September.

My contention has been that Apple can take on yet a new market (Flip is scrambling to deal with the Nano even as I write) with a new (and separate model of) the Touch.

Namely, the P&S camera market. In terms of "thinness" all they have to do is package it in the existing iPhone chassis and use that depth and the room left over throughout the case because of no need for cellular radios and other phone hardware to release a new model specifically targeted at the 5-8 megapixel camera range. With luck they could even squeeze in an optical zoom of sorts (sorry I don't know the physics here), certainly a flash and likely 720p.

Would it take the same quality photos as a good Canon in the same price range? No, but you don't get an iPod, multi-touch internet and 100K apps in a Coolpix or Elph either, and a "good enough for real use" camera on top of all that with no extra device to carry should ensure beaucoup more Touch sales as it becomes their device of choice for yet another function where market share is lying ready to be grabbed.

It could also be separated from the existing Touch line in several other subtle ways I leave to others' imaginations, but the second small front facing screen on the latest Samsung P&S (e.g., for self-portraiture and video calling) is one idea.

And be a reason for true fans to add yet another slightly differentiated gee-gaw to their stable of Apple products.

Of course what seems obvious to me often seems less so to SteveCo.
  • Reply 14 of 92
    cameronjcameronj Posts: 2,357member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by MacTel View Post

Why it is that big of a deal I'm not sure? If it packed a 5 mega pixel camera with sould serious digital zoom and auto correct along with a flash then that might replace some consumer cameras.

Serious digital zoom? Did you mean to type that or was that a joke? What the hell could make a digital zoom serious? You realize that digital zoom just cuts out part of the shot and blows up the rest, right?
  • Reply 15 of 92
    I'd been intending to buy a Touch for a long time but was waiting for Apple to add a camera. Now if it comes out with a video-only camera, I'll have to forget it entirely. What is this infatuation with video-only cameras?
  • Reply 16 of 92
    addaboxaddabox Posts: 12,665member
    Once again Apple has deeply disappointed me by failing to make a rumored feature measure up to a speculative level of performance in service to my theoretical needs.
  • Reply 17 of 92
    chris_cachris_ca Posts: 2,543member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by cameronj View Post

Serious digital zoom? Did you mean to type that or was that a joke? What the hell could make a digital zoom serious? You realize that digital zoom just cuts out part of the shot and blows up the rest, right?

and you realize that is exactly how an optical zoom also works, right?
  • Reply 18 of 92
    addaboxaddabox Posts: 12,665member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Chris_CA View Post

There's quite a difference between optically reframing a shot while using the full sensor resolution and simply magnifying some portion of that sensor resolution electronically to make it bigger.
  • Reply 19 of 92
    cameronjcameronj Posts: 2,357member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Chris_CA View Post

Riiiight. Enjoy your digital zoom.
  • Reply 20 of 92
    chris_cachris_ca Posts: 2,543member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by cameronj View Post

Riiiight. Enjoy your digital zoom.

Uh, thanks but I don't have it.