End of iPhone exclusivity means boosted sales in Europe

Comments

• Reply 61 of 101
    jfanningjfanning Posts: 3,398member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ayeng98 View Post

I thought NOKIA is Europe and Europe is NOkia...where is Nokia?......well people are smart nowadays...they dont like a phone that keeps on evolving into all the letters in the alphabet in form and design, yet internally inothing changes, same carppy and lousy OS with no apps whatsoever only their snakes games present LOL

I am looking forward when Nokia filed for bancrapsy their company is in the doldrum and nearing extinction..

I'm looking forward to when you learn to spell.
  • Reply 62 of 101
    piotpiot Posts: 1,346member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Clive At Five View Post

And you'll also you'll notice that I said "up to 40%." I never said that 40% was proven fact, I simply quoted the premise of an AI article... why are you arguing that point so vehemently?

Because an article from two years ago does not reflect the iPhone landscape of today......

.... and citing "Google, Verizon" search hits is even worse! Have you seen any of the hundreds of AT&T/ Verizon / iPhone news stories posted recently?
  • Reply 63 of 101
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by addabox View Post

Hiring people with experience isn't remotely the same as real, in the field experience. Rolling out a new platform worldwide, a platform that arguably will prove to be central to Apple's fortunes in the decade to come (and in a field in which you have never competed involving entrenched players as partners), calls for patience, prudence and baby steps. And, you have to make sure each of those steps is working well before moving on to the next, because you're building the foundation of a new business that you expect to grow for years to come.

So hiring people with real world experience isn't the same as having real world experience? You have a strange logic. Also, Apple didn't roll out a new platform worldwide, if you remember correctly it was limited to the US for some time.
  • Reply 64 of 101
    addaboxaddabox Posts: 12,665member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jfanning View Post

So hiring people with real world experience isn't the same as having real world experience? You have a strange logic. Also, Apple didn't roll out a new platform worldwide, if you remember correctly it was limited to the US for some time.

Having new hires with some experience across various components of an industry is not the same as having actual corporate-wide experience with making all the parts work together. It's the difference between planning and executing. I can't imagine why you would think having some new hires in the mix would give Apple the confidence to go full blast out of the gate, when they could do what they did: test the waters, take it step at a time, make sure they were getting it right before going on to the next bit. Why is that a problem, and what are you even arguing in favor of?

As far as US vs. world roll out, obviously the US rollout was the first step in the global rollout, for the simple reason it was easier for Apple to learn the needed lessons close to home, where they could be on top of the situation, before working with carriers in other countries. Again, this seems pretty self evident and I'm not sure what your actual point of contention is.
  • Reply 65 of 101
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by cameronj View Post

I just wish we could see the CV of the people questioning Apple's business decisions on the iPhone. It's a frigging business school case study in how to whip the ass of huge well entrenched conglomerates in just two years and make it look EASY for god's sake. And yet there are dummies with enough time to post on a message board all day who think they know enough to improve those decisions?

Agree completely. Well put.
  • Reply 66 of 101
    Quote:

Having new hires with some experience across various components of an industry is not the same as having actual corporate-wide experience with making all the parts work together. It's the difference between planning and executing. I can't imagine why you would think having some new hires in the mix would give Apple the confidence to go full blast out of the gate, when they could do what they did: test the waters, take it step at a time, make sure they were getting it right before going on to the next bit. Why is that a problem, and what are you even arguing in favor of?

I'm not sure why you claim they had no experience when they actually had experience. Apple had plently of experience selling electronic devices around the world, infact they have been doing it for a number of years. They hired people that had experience in the mobile industry, to fill the gaps for the experience they were missing, but to say they had none, that is naive

Quote:

As far as US vs. world roll out, obviously the US rollout was the first step in the global rollout, for the simple reason it was easier for Apple to learn the needed lessons close to home, where they could be on top of the situation, before working with carriers in other countries. Again, this seems pretty self evident and I'm not sure what your actual point of contention is.

You said they did a world wide roll out, they didn't, that is a fact, that is my point of contention, if you can prove a US rollout is infact a world one one, you would have a point, but since you can't, I'm not sure what you actual point of contention is.
  • Reply 67 of 101
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:

I'm not sure why you claim they had no experience when they actually had experience. Apple had plently of experience selling electronic devices around the world, infact they have been doing it for a number of years. They hired people that had experience in the mobile industry, to fill the gaps for the experience they were missing, but to say they had none, that is naive.

1) Hiring some HW and SW techs to help with phone HW and SW is not the same as starting a business selling phones.

2) Selling PMPs is not the same as getting contracts with telcos to sell a phone. If it was so obvious then Verizon would have signed with Apple without seeing a product because they had 85% of the PMP market under their belt.

3) Have you completely forgotten the pundits and many others stating that Apple is going to have a hard time coming into this entrenched market with no experience? Do I really need to bring out Palm, Nokia?s and Ballmer quotes to remind you?
  • Reply 68 of 101
    addaboxaddabox Posts: 12,665member
    Quote:

I'm not sure why you claim they had no experience when they actually had experience. Apple had plently of experience selling electronic devices around the world, infact they have been doing it for a number of years. They hired people that had experience in the mobile industry, to fill the gaps for the experience they were missing, but to say they had none, that is naive

Entering the phone business if different from selling iPods and computers. It involves relationships with cell carriers, and a bunch of cell industry specific regulation, custom and particulars.

I've never said they had no one on staff with any expertise, I'm just maintaining that they did well to do things slowly, learning as they go. I don't understand why anyone would take exception to this idea.

Quote:

You said they did a world wide roll out, they didn't, that is a fact, that is my point of contention, if you can prove a US rollout is infact a world one one, you would have a point, but since you can't, I'm not sure what you actual point of contention is.

Sigh. They did a world wide rollout, starting with the United States. It took some time to extend to other markets. To say otherwise would be to imagine that they never intended to sell the iPhone anywhere but the US, and elected to go international sometime after the fact, which of course we know is not the case. We speak of cell carriers doing national rollout of services, even when they start with a few markets. It's, how do you say, a common way of putting it. Hence, rolling out, as opposed to abruptly appearing everywhere at once.

"I know you are but what am I" isn't a very strong rhetorical tactic, amongst grown ups.
  • Reply 69 of 101
    Quote:

To say otherwise would be to imagine that they never intended to sell the iPhone anywhere but the US, and elected to go international sometime after the fact, which of course we know is not the case.

Some people think Apple never conceived of or intended to launch an iPhone SDK. That the web apps were the only apps that Apple intended people to use since they didn?t have the SDK ready at launch. I really don?t understand these people and if not for internet forums i?d likely not think they existed at all.
  • Reply 70 of 101
    Quote:

I've never said they had no one on staff with any expertise, I'm just maintaining that they did well to do things slowly, learning as they go. I don't understand why anyone would take exception to this idea.

I haven't, I am taking exception to people saying they didn't have any experience in this field, because they did.

Quote:

Sigh. They did a world wide rollout, starting with the United States. It took some time to extend to other markets. To say otherwise would be to imagine that they never intended to sell the iPhone anywhere but the US, and elected to go international sometime after the fact, which of course we know is not the case. We speak of cell carriers doing national rollout of services, even when they start with a few markets. It's, how do you say, a common way of putting it. Hence, rolling out, as opposed to abruptly appearing everywhere at once.

"I know you are but what am I" isn't a very strong rhetorical tactic, amongst grown ups.

A worldwide rollout involves rolling out to the whole world, technically they are still a long way off it. The orginal iPhone was only released in the US, then some 18 months later in three other countries, even if they had the intention of rolling out to the whole world, taking near on two years to enter a second market doesn't make it world wide.

What they have done is a slow staged rollout
  • Reply 71 of 101
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

1) Hiring some HW and SW techs to help with phone HW and SW is not the same as starting a business selling phones.

I didn't say it was, I said they didn't start this project with zero experience, they purchased experience.

Quote:

2) Selling PMPs is not the same as getting contracts with telcos to sell a phone. If it was so obvious then Verizon would have signed with Apple without seeing a product because they had 85% of the PMP market under their belt.

I didn't say it was, I said that Apple had significant experience in the distribution and sales of hardware

Quote:

I didn't say it was, I said they didn't start this project with zero experience, they purchased experience.

Quote:

3) Have you completely forgotten the pundits and many others stating that Apple is going to have a hard time coming into this entrenched market with no experience? Do I really need to bring out Palm, Nokia?s and Ballmer quotes to remind you?

Why would you, I haven't said they didn't have any experience, I am the one saying they purchased experience in this market, they hired people to help them, that equates to them having previous experience
  • Reply 72 of 101
    Quote:

A worldwide rollout involves rolling out to the whole world, technically they are still a long way off it. The orginal iPhone was only released in the US, then some 18 months later in three other countries, even if they had the intention of rolling out to the whole world, taking near on two years to enter a second market doesn't make it world wide.

What they have done is a slow staged rollout

By your definition there is likely not a single physical product that is available legally for the entire world. Hell, Brazil just the PS2 at a staggering $460 USD. You can by a PS3 and a couple games for that much.

BTW, the original iPhone launched on June 29th, 2007 in the US, the UK and German iPhone launch was November 9th, 2007 and the French iPhone launch was November 29th, 2007. At 12 month and a few days the iPhone 3G launched in 22 countries with more slated for the rest of the year. By about 18 months, which you said it took to get 4 countries on board, the iPhone was sold in upwards to 70 countries.

PS: The iPhone was shown to be used around the world with months of originally launching due to the profit sharing situation that required no contract at purchase and the fast jailbreak and unlock that arrived.
  • Reply 73 of 101
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by piot View Post

Because an article from two years ago does not reflect the iPhone landscape of today......

.... and citing "Google, Verizon" search hits is even worse! Have you seen any of the hundreds of AT&T/ Verizon / iPhone news stories posted recently?

Oh yeah, I bet 90% of the people searching "iPhone Verizon" are looking for news articles... HAH!

And I also bet that most of the people searching for "iPhone Dev Team" are looking for informational purposes only...

Delusion, perhaps?

Like I said before: the fact that unlocks exist is evidence that carriers are not offering the right services, or are not available altogether.

-Clive
  • Reply 74 of 101
    Quote:

Why would you, I haven't said they didn't have any experience, I am the one saying they purchased experience in this market, they hired people to help them, that equates to them having previous experience

Previous means existing or occurring before. Apple, the company, had no such experience. Hiring people that have experience in the cell phone market doesn’t change the fact that Apple, the company, has had no prior experience with the cell phone market.

Again by your definition if Apple hiring an aspiring car designer turned computer designer Apple could now make a great car because the company has experience designing cars because one of their designers worked as an intern for Ariel one summer. Quite absurd, isn’t it?
  • Reply 75 of 101
    Quote:

By your definition there is likely not a single physical product that is available legally for the entire world. Hell, Brazil just the PS2 at a staggering $460 USD. You can by a PS3 and a couple games for that much.

If you want to read it that way, that is fine. But at the end of the day, the iPhone was not a world wide release, that is a fact, and you cannot get away from that. I might have got my dates slightly wrong, but they took nearly a year to get to 10 countries, and yet you still claim that is a world wide release?

And you claim about the 70 countries in 18 months, 18 months and still claiming the original phone was a world wide release?

Quote:

PS: The iPhone was shown to be used around the world with months of originally launching due to the profit sharing situation that required no contract at purchase and the fast jailbreak and unlock that arrived.

I'm not sure what you point is, people have been importing phones for years, it is nothing new, and will continue to be nothing new for years to come.
  • Reply 76 of 101
    Quote:

Previous means existing or occurring before. Apple, the company, had no such experience. Hiring people that have experience in the cell phone market doesn?t change the fact that Apple, the company, has had no prior experience with the cell phone market.

Apple the company is a collection of a whole bunch of things, one being their knowledge, their knowledge is made up of a variety of things, one being their employees. They hired employees with previous experience in the mobile industry, that means Apple had previous experience through their newly purchased knowledge.

To even think that Apple entered this industry with no knowledge at all is highly naive.

Quote:

Again by your definition if Apple hiring an aspiring car designer turned computer designer Apple could now make a great car because the company has experience designing cars because one of their designers worked as an intern for Ariel one summer. Quite absurd, isn?t it?

Well it is if you write stupid things like that, but that isn't what I said.
  • Reply 77 of 101
    Quote:

If you want to read it that way, that is fine. But at the end of the day, the iPhone was not a world wide release, that is a fact, and you cannot get away from that. I might have got my dates slightly wrong, but they took nearly a year to get to 10 countries, and yet you still claim that is a world wide release?

Slightly wrong? You were over a year off on your 18 month assertion on a phone that has been on the market less than 2.5 years.

So your argument is a bogus since no physical product can feasibly be worldwide. The iPhone won’t even work in Antarctica or the Amazon due to the acceptable climate and humidity range on the device and until sell they set up a cell tower on the Pitcairn Islands then no phone will ever be worldwide.

Quote:

Well it is if you write stupid things like that, but that isn't what I said.

You are the one saying that hiring someone with experience in a field means that the company has had prior experience, not me.
  • Reply 78 of 101
    piotpiot Posts: 1,346member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Clive At Five View Post

Oh yeah, I bet 90% of the people searching "iPhone Verizon" are looking for news articles... HAH!

I don't know what they are looking for.... but that's what they are getting.

You forget that most people (who are interested in the iPhone) don't give a shit about this constant AT&T vs Verizon bickering.

Quote:

And I also bet that most of the people searching for "iPhone Dev Team" are looking for informational purposes only...

I don't understand what that even means. Of course they are looking for information. But Google "suggestions" prove nothing in themselves.

Quote:

Delusion, perhaps?

No. Rational!

Like so many people on this forum you just fail to look at the big picture. Apple is in this for the long haul. Apple is building a whole new mobile platform here. So what, if a couple of million Americans have to wait a bit longer for the iPhone to come to their carrier of choice?

Did you read the article title? So perhaps the "End of iPhone exclusivity" is taking a little longer to occur in the US. Be patient. Apple is.
  • Reply 79 of 101
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by piot View Post

Did you read the article title? So perhaps the "End of iPhone exclusivity" is taking a little longer to occur in the US. Be patient. Apple is.

The best assumption seems to be 2 years plus one additional year for AT&T to agree to cutting profit sharing. That means June 2010 as the end of the line for AT&T as the exclusive carrier but what does that mean for the other US carriers. The newer chips over the current Infineon 608 is the 616 and 618 which both have support for up to 5 HSPA bands. I have no idea how many bands the 608 supports.

Looking at the big picture do you think Apple will make a Verizon and/Sprint CDMA phone locked to each carrier and sold alongside their GSM-based phone, with or without the additional 3G band for T-Mobile?
  • Reply 80 of 101
    Quote:

Slightly wrong? You were over a year off on your 18 month assertion on a phone that has been on the market less than 2.5 years.

It still doesn't distract from the fact that the original iPhone release was not world wide, heck the fact that it didn't include 3G support is a great example of the fact that they didn't have the intention of releasing that phone to a large number of countries.

Quote:

So your argument is a bogus since no physical product can feasibly be worldwide. The iPhone won?t even work in Antarctica or the Amazon due to the acceptable climate and humidity range on the device and until sell they set up a cell tower on the Pitcairn Islands then no phone will ever be worldwide.

You are the only one saying that every country in the world (Antarctica isn't a country by the way) is required for a world wide release, I am saying that releasing it in only the US (and then to only five other counties) doesn't make it world wide.

Also you can get sat phone reception on Pitcairn Island, so there is one there, but since there is only a population of 50, not sure why you would need one.

Quote:

You are the one saying that hiring someone with experience in a field means that the company has had prior experience, not me.

Yip I am, it is a fact, get used to it.