Adam Lambert and a certain kiss at the AMA's

Posted:
in AppleOutsider edited January 2014
YouTube

So in case you weren't aware of it, last night Adam Lambert kissed one of his male stage props at the AMA's last night.

There were a few complaints. I'm not one of them. Other performers, specifically female performers get away with this sort of stuff all the time. Hell, Rhianna practically does a S&M act on stage.

I would recommend that if Mr. Lambert is going to kiss more men on stage in the future he at least do a good job of it though. He looked like he was a 12 year old trying to french for the first time.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 16
    So what. Good for him. And he was probably nervous because it was planned.

Glad you didn't care enough to complain, though you cared enough to start a thread about it, which is worrying.
  • Reply 2 of 16
    trumptmantrumptman Posts: 16,464member
    Maybe it would be nice to have an occasional off-topic, non-political thread in AO that isn't dropped by a spammer.

It's almost like it is a place to discuss current events or something like that.
  • Reply 3 of 16
    Exactly how do you expect this not to become political?
  • Reply 4 of 16
    Are there some political ramifications with regard to Adam Lambert and the AMA's that I was not aware of?

He's a fantastic but I wasn't feeling anything out of that first single. However there are a ton of singles from major artists that have gone no where lately. Thank goodness for Pandora!
  • Reply 5 of 16
    At least there wasn't a male-on-male "wardrobe malfunction" in any of the dance acts.
  • Reply 6 of 16
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by tonton View Post

So what. Good for him. And he was probably nervous because it was planned.

Glad you didn't care enough to complain, though you cared enough to start a thread about it, which is worrying.

Hey, nothing wrong starting a thread about it. I'm crazy bored at work.
  • Reply 7 of 16
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by trumptman View Post

YouTube

So in case you weren't aware of it, last night Adam Lambert kissed one of his male stage props at the AMA's last night.

There were a few complaints. I'm not one of them. Other performers, specifically female performers get away with this sort of stuff all the time. Hell, Rhianna practically does a S&M act on stage.

I would recommend that if Mr. Lambert is going to kiss more men on stage in the future he at least do a good job of it though. He looked like he was a 12 year old trying to french for the first time.

The way females act in music videos and on stage nowadays (not saying the girls are bad, I'm saying the whole collective industry is doing this), hell, I'm not gay but I would be very offended much more with that than a male kiss, if I was the conservative type. F**ing double standards for those that complain, I would say.

I mean, if you're a teen girl today, I can't imagine one not thinking "OK, I guess to be cool I need to look good in a gold bikini dancing in a club with crappy pop/R&B music with black guys or writhing out the top of a limo with only my lingerie on"... And if you're a somewhat overweight teen girl, god have mercy on your soul.

A comment on the YouTube video summed it up: "So what if he kissed and groped someone. What people should be complaining about is this lousy performance."

I was in my teens when the whole Madonna "Sex" thing was going on. Big fracking deal, looking back on it. One of my friends got the coffee table book, he also had a copy of Penthouse hidden somewhere.

I lean towards the liberal because I used to be conservative growing up and realised no one really was actually conservative. A ton of it is all pretence.

And I hate pop music nowadays. Some are totally infectious and you can't help but tap your feet occasionally, but thank goodness that good Trance, Progressive and House still exists.
  • Reply 8 of 16
    Oh and David Bowie called Adam Lambert and said "WTF mate". Next up: Adam Lambert in the movie "Labyrinth: The Return".

Damn, I sound like such an old codger and I'm only 31. Damn you life experience and wisdom, Damn you to hell....!
  • Reply 9 of 16
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by nvidia2008 View Post

The way females act in music videos and on stage nowadays (not saying the girls are bad, I'm saying the whole collective industry is doing this), hell, I'm not gay but I would be very offended much more with that than a male kiss, if I was the conservative type. F**ing double standards for those that complain, I would say.

It can be more than that though. Look at who he lost to in American Idol. The areas where men are allowed to operate are becoming so limited in this day and age. All the male singers and groups look like these meek little cowering men. I can't of a better example of that than Kris Allen. Then you look at Adam Lambert and he says how dare you tell me I cannot use my sex appeal, my strength, whatever body part I want to shake, etc. He's going to stride around the stage and stick his crotch in your face, shake his hips and ass, mess with his hair, and exploit himself of whatever talents and tricks he has available. Women get to do the same as you noted so why not him!

Quote:

I mean, if you're a teen girl today, I can't imagine one not thinking "OK, I guess to be cool I need to look good in a gold bikini dancing in a club with crappy pop/R&B music with black guys or writhing out the top of a limo with only my lingerie on"... And if you're a somewhat overweight teen girl, god have mercy on your soul.

Maybe women feel body image issues due to what is out there but men are limited in all sorts of respects. Men cannot mis-apply aggression, sexual advances, nearly anything. It is very telling that the exact person I mentioned above, Rhianna got to perform just fine the morning after with not an eyebrow raised. Her album is entitle "Rated R" and her act is plenty raunchy but no one cares when it is her.

Quote:

A comment on the YouTube video summed it up: "So what if he kissed and groped someone. What people should be complaining about is this lousy performance."

As I noted, a lot of the recent singles are terrible. They all sound exactly the same and there isn't a decent hook in any of them to make you want to listen to them again.

Quote:

I was in my teens when the whole Madonna "Sex" thing was going on. Big fracking deal, looking back on it. One of my friends got the coffee table book, he also had a copy of Penthouse hidden somewhere.

I lean towards the liberal because I used to be conservative growing up and realised no one really was actually conservative. A ton of it is all pretence.

And I hate pop music nowadays. Some are totally infectious and you can't help but tap your feet occasionally, but thank goodness that good Trance, Progressive and House still exists.

Well I'm always of the view that if you don't like something, control yourself and turn it off, but don't get upset that someone is putting themselves out there. He wasn't performing in the early hours of the show and it isn't as if people don't know what he is about. Flip away for five minutes if you don't like it, don't watch it and complain.
  • Reply 10 of 16
    Well, I've got to agree with Nick here. If you don't like it, turn it off, and don't give us these double standards allowing women to be slutty but not men.

But the whole issue here has nothing to do with him being a man, and not being a "meek" man like Kris Allen. The whole issue here has to do with him being a gay man. It's not a male/female thing. It's a straight/gay thing. If Rhianna gets up onstage and kisses a female dancer, not nearly as many objections would be heard than if Ellen kissed Portia during a show.

The whole idea of males performing on stage is rather effeminate, so you're not going to get any "macho" males up there, unless you consider Sinatra and Tom Jones and the like to be macho in some way (I don't). There is, however, one exception. Rap and R&B. Those men have always been allowed to get up on stage and degrade women, objectify them, promote violence and drugs. Only when it gets criminal (Chris Brown) does anyone object, and they should. I hope you're not calling Chris Brown's acts "mis-applied aggression" here. It was abuse.

By the way, what is properly applied aggression?

I've just thought of someone (a straight male) who has succesfully developed their image as a slutty male sex-object, to a certain extent... Robbie Williams. He's neither meek nor gay, and he uses his sex appeal successfully.
  • Reply 11 of 16
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by tonton View Post

...I've just thought of someone (a straight male) who has succesfully developed their image as a slutty male sex-object, to a certain extent... Robbie Williams. He's neither meek or gay, and he uses his sex appeal successfully.

It's interesting... I can't think of any "slutty" straight males... Robbie Williams, sexy, yes, but he also comes off as somewhat charming to many women... I think. Interesting...
  • Reply 12 of 16
    Quote:

It's interesting... I can't think of any "slutty" straight males... Robbie Williams, sexy, yes, but he also comes off as somewhat charming to many women... I think. Interesting...

Well, his second (I think) and most popular (I think) solo album featured him in several poses in the nude.
  • Reply 13 of 16
    Quote:

I'd throw the younger version of Prince in there as well.
  • Reply 14 of 16
    I'm listening to the Adam Lambert record now, and a bit disappointed that he's basically chosen to be another Mika... only this time, massively overproduced, but with better vocals, of course...
  • Reply 15 of 16

Adam Lambert kisses his keyboard player onstage at the American Music Awards

Photo: Kevin Winter/ Getty Images

In addition to dragging a female dancer around by the ankles, pushing a male dancer's head into his crotch and simulating oral sex, walking a pair of male hoofers around like dogs on a leash, and furiously thrusting his hips at every opportunity, Lambert took a moment mid-song to fervently make out with (an allegedly straight) male keyboard player. After the jaw-dropping performance, Lambert told CNN that the forceful smooch was "in the moment" and was not a planned part of his routine.
  • Reply 16 of 16
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jolidon me View Post

<snip>

In addition to dragging a female dancer around by the ankles, pushing a male dancer's head into his crotch and simulating oral sex, walking a pair of male hoofers around like dogs on a leash, and furiously thrusting his hips at every opportunity, Lambert took a moment mid-song to fervently make out with (an allegedly straight) male keyboard player. After the jaw-dropping performance, Lambert told CNN that the forceful smooch was "in the moment" and was not a planned part of his routine.

Did you really have to explain the rest of his antics and put the kiss in perspective?