Users report issues with Apple's new Core i7-based iMac

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited January 2014
Apple's new top-of-the-line 27-inch iMac with an Intel Core i7 processor has shown up dead on arrival or with a cracked screen for some who have purchased.

In addition to threads on the Apple Discussions support section (1, 2) Engadget also received a quad-core machine that would not boot when taken out of the box.

For some, the iMac chimes when the power button is pressed, but the screen displays nothing. Various users on Apple's support forums have expressed frustration that they returned their iMac and are now waiting an estimated two weeks for a replacement machine.

There are also a handful of reports of cracks on the bottom left corner of the screen of the new iMac. Various customers said the box containing their new system arrived in excellent condition, only to remove the packaging and discover the hardware had been damaged. It has led some to speculate that there is a flaw in the current packaging that causes the screen to crack in the bottom left corner.

"There's no apparent damage to the styrofoam or box so it looks like that's a weak spot in the screen and how they are being packed in the boxes," user 'scopro' said. "Hopefully Apple will improve their packaging for these larger iMacs as it may take until Dec. 7 for my replacement to arrive."

The new 2.8GHz Intel Core i7 860 processor-equipped 27-inch iMacs are available as a $200 built-to-order option, which means they are not available in Apple retail stores. Apple also offers a 2.66 GHz Core i5 750 iMac with a suggested retail price of $1,999. Both quad-core machines began shipping earlier this month and include 8MB of L3 cache.

The newly redesigned iMac includes a large 16:9 screen with a 2560x1440 pixel resolution. It offers a capacity of 16GB of RAM and comes standard with a wireless keyboard and the new Magic Mouse.

Discounted prices on the new iMac systems are available via the AppleInsider Mac Pricing Guide:

Comments

• Reply 1 of 206
    iqatedoiqatedo Posts: 1,822member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

Apple's new top-of-the-line 27-inch iMac with an Intel Core i7 processor has shown up dead on arrival or with a cracked screen for some who have purchased...

Discounted prices on the new iMac systems are available via the AppleInsider Mac Pricing Guide:

Ready to order - interested in experiences...
  • Reply 2 of 206
    bageljoeybageljoey Posts: 2,004member
    Were any of those pictures at the end of the article supposed to show the cracked screens?
  • Reply 3 of 206
    bageljoeybageljoey Posts: 2,004member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by IQatEdo View Post

Ready to order - interested in experiences...

It did seem a little odd to end this article with the now ubiquitous Mac Pricing Guide...
  • Reply 4 of 206
    msanttimsantti Posts: 1,377member
    I COULD see where there could be some DOA systems due to some different configuration inside of the iMacs as compared to the other models.

The cracked screens make ZERO sense to me.

If screens are cracked, maybe other people that have iMacs should be concerned. That glass to the edge of the computer could be susceptible.
  • Reply 5 of 206
    takeotakeo Posts: 445member
    I don't even like the look of the glass to the edge. I think it looked better before... with the inset. I find it makes the "chin" look awkward and kind of cut off.
  • Reply 6 of 206
    mazda 3smazda 3s Posts: 1,613member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by msantti View Post

I COULD see where there could be some DOA systems due to some different configuration inside of the iMacs as compared to the other models.

If screens are cracked, maybe other people that have iMacs should be concerned. That glass to the edge of the computer could be susceptible.

The cracked glass sounds like poor packaging to me in the box. I mean, the 27" is a rather large and heavy unit -- I haven't seen iMac packaging, but traditional Apple product packaging is pretty minimalistic.
  • Reply 7 of 206
    al_bundyal_bundy Posts: 1,525member
    i'm waiting for the youtube videos of chinese workers breaking new imacs and putting them in the box and laughing
  • Reply 8 of 206
    asciiascii Posts: 5,936member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by al_bundy View Post

i'm waiting for the youtube videos of chinese workers breaking new imacs and putting them in the box and laughing

It does seem like the factory is as fault, but a more charitable interpretation might be that they are rushing.

Perhaps they made a commitment to Apple to get the order backlog down, and are pushing their workers a bit too hard?
  • Reply 9 of 206
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Mazda 3s View Post

The cracked glass sounds like poor packaging to me in the box. I mean, the 27" is a rather large and heavy unit -- I haven't seen iMac packaging, but traditional Apple product packaging is pretty minimalistic.

I have one (an i7) - the packaging is fairly minimalistic. It is just 4 pieces of styrofoam, one in each corner.

But as minimal as it is, it is *in the corners.* So I can't understand where this idea came from about the packaging not protecting the corners. Or perhaps people are saying it is stressing the corners, since that's where the weight it borne. But looking at it I can't see any immediate problem...
  • Reply 10 of 206
    Well, I just ordered one yesterday. Now I've got to cross my fingers
  • Reply 11 of 206
    mazda 3smazda 3s Posts: 1,613member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ascii View Post

I have one (an i7) - the packaging is fairly minimalistic. It is just 4 pieces of styrofoam, one in each corner.

But as minimal as it is, it is *in the corners.* So I can't understand where this idea came from about the packaging not protecting the corners. Or perhaps people are saying it is stressing the corners, since that's where the weight it borne. But looking at it I can't see any immediate problem...

If all it has are four styrofoam blocks in the corners, that's not enough IMHO. You might as well treat it as a 27" TV -- I don't think I've ever seen a 27" or large TV that has shipped with four corner blocks. They always have a "full frame" block that cradles at least the top, and sides -- the bottom is normally left open due to the TV stand.

I'm no engineer, but I would think that having more styrofoam coverage would allow shocking forces to spread more evenly rather than being concentrated at the corner blocks that Apple uses.
  • Reply 12 of 206
    teckstudteckstud Posts: 6,476member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by msantti View Post

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Takeo View Post

I don't even like the look of the glass to the edge. I think it looked better before... with the inset. I find it makes the "chin" look awkward and kind of cut off.

If they were matte this never would have happened.
  • Reply 13 of 206
    pmzpmz Posts: 3,433member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by teckstud View Post

If they were matte this never would have happened.

That's true, but then they'd be garbage by comparison and no one would have bought them at all, so yeah, you're right, it wouldn't have.
  • Reply 14 of 206
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by pmz View Post

That's true, but then they'd be garbage by comparison and no one would have bought them at all, so yeah, you're right, it wouldn't have.

WRONG- more would have bought them, like all of us who've refused to buy over the last 2years. I don't know anybody who says" Ooohh, I just love that glare- I wanna buy it just for that!" Glare/high gloss is not a selling point.
  • Reply 15 of 206
    Quote:

I don't think I've ever seen a 27" or large TV that has shipped with four corner blocks. They always have a "full frame" block that cradles at least the top, and sides -- the bottom is normally left open due to the TV stand.

Me neither - good point.
  • Reply 16 of 206
    From the article:

Quote:

There are also a handful of reports of cracks on the bottom left screen of the new iMac.

Out of curiosity, how many screens does the new iMac have?
  • Reply 17 of 206
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by coolfactor View Post

From the article:

Out of curiosity, how many screens does the new iMac have?

There's one on the bottom left at least.
  • Reply 18 of 206
    Quote:

You might as well treat it as a 27" TV -- I don't think I've ever seen a 27" or large TV that has shipped with four corner blocks. They always have a "full frame" block that cradles at least the top, and sides -- the bottom is normally left open due to the TV stand.

I'm no engineer, but I would think that having more styrofoam coverage would allow shocking forces to spread more evenly rather than being concentrated at the corner blocks that Apple uses.

I don't know any TV that has a glass plate over the entire front surface either- and I'm talking plasma and LCD. We're talking more like an aquarium here and that needs to be completely shipped in styrofoam and extremely delicate shipping. What a mistake.
  • Reply 19 of 206
    Got mine yesterday. The foam blocks are quite large (9"x9"x7"). No cracks. No boot problems. Fastest out of box to up and running experience I've ever had. Still need to mount the VESA adapter to it and hang it from Ergotron arm.

The screen is gorgeous. And I think I like the mouse. Migration of my account from Macbook went well (had to create a faux account on iMac because you can't transfer same named users running as that user).
  • Reply 20 of 206
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bassetbob View Post

Got mine yesterday. The foam blocks are quite large (9"x9"x7"). No cracks. No boot problems. Fastest out of box to up and running experience I've ever had. Still need to mount the VESA adapter to it and hang it from Ergotron arm.

The screen is gorgeous. And I think I like the mouse. Migration of my account from Macbook went well (had to create a faux account on iMac because you can't transfer same named users running as that user).

A helpful first post - thanks. Chalk one up for the 27" iMac then.