Motorola passes Apple in brand loyalty among men - study

Posted:
in iPhone edited January 2014
Motorola has exceeded Apple in brand loyalty among men ages 18-and-up since the launch of its new Droid handset, but the iPhone maker has remained well ahead of competitor BlackBerry, according to one study.

According to new, daily tracking statistics from YouGov's BrandIndex, Apple dropped from a peak score of 48.1 in the month of November to a score of 22 last week. That took it below Motorola, which remained relatively static from its month-long peak of 32.3, finishing last week with a score of 29.3.

The study's scale ranges from -100 to 100, based on interviews conducted with 5,000 people each weekday from a representative U.S. population sample. YouGov conducts more than 1.2 million interviews per year, selected from an online panel of more than 1.5 million unique individuals. The study has a margin of error of +/- 2 percent.

The company said its survey demonstrates that Motorola has likely come out on top of the ongoing advertising dispute between Verizon and AT&T.

"Motorola has seen its brand loyalty unaffected by AT&T's lawsuits against Verizon Wireless and ad war bashing," YouGov said. "But it seems to have taken a toll on Blackberry, which has withered under all the Droid/iPhone marketing and hype."

This week, Apple indirectly joined the dispute with two new ads that tout features available only on AT&T's UMTS/GSM network. The advertisements debuted after the most recent study results from YouGov were released; any potential impact from the ads likely wouldn't be seen for weeks.

It's a similar story to earlier this month, when Verizon's brand perception soared while AT&T sunk in the 18- to 34-year-old target demographic. The study suggested that Verizon and Motorola's advertising campaign for the Droid, which launched on Oct. 18, proved effective. Those ads, along with network-specific TV spots from Verizon, directly targeted both Apple's iPhone and AT&T's coverage.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 116
    ifailifail Posts: 463member
    I'm not surprised about Motorola, i remember i used to get down on those things ever since the ROKR days until i got my first ever Blackberry Curve.

Still i will never leave my Blackberry for...anything really, and im sure there are quite a few who feel the same way lol.

BTW, you mean Apple iPhone in the end, not iPod
  • Reply 2 of 116
    Motorola does well with a massive ad blitz for a product launch in a month where their competitor did not launch a competing product?

People vote with their checkbooks, though. We'll see.
  • Reply 3 of 116
    Motorola, "motor" is definably more appealing to most men, not just the name either. The phones work and are reasonably priced, very attractive to those who earn their money and think along value and cost.

Apple on the other hand has always appealed to the more visual appealing types: women, children, gays and artist men like myself. Who on many times, rather pay a fortune to have the flashiest device and more likely to be caught by impulsive decisions.

I avoided the iPhone completely, unlike the many iPods I've owned, there is no way I'm going to pay over $100 a month for a device that doesn't do much of anything very well that I can't do better with regular devices or my MacBook Pro.

I'm still waiting for a iPhone app emulator, it can't be THAT hard, the processor in the iPhone isn't very powerful that a dual core can't emulate it.

So what's the holdup, nobody wants to get rich anymore?
  • Reply 4 of 116
    Quote:

Apple on the other hand has always appealed to the more visual appealing types: women, children, gays and artist men like myself. Who on many times, rather pay a fortune to have the flashiest device and more likely to be caught by impulsive decisions.

Yeah, those super expensive $200 iphones compared to, uh, $200 droids or $200 other smart phones, complete with mandatory $30 data plans.

Quote:

I'm still waiting for a iPhone app emulator, it can't be THAT hard, the processor in the iPhone isn't very powerful that a dual core can't emulate it.

The simple fact that it requires running OSX and Objective C which of course, not just a processor? The fact that input comes from a capacitive screen and accelerometer which where would you get that from unless it was built into the device already?

Tell me you thought more than 20 seconds on that.
  • Reply 5 of 116
    Yeah!

And to celebrate its brand equity and consumer loyalty, Droids are being offloaded at 40% off.... http://www.intomobile.com/2009/11/20...from-dell.html

Is this company a joke?
  • Reply 6 of 116
    teckstudteckstud Posts: 6,476member
    Too much, too little, too late- the damage of Verizon has been done.
  • Reply 7 of 116
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post

Is this company a joke?

Effective yes, joke no.

Verizon and Droid have effectivly gone after this market with baseball playoffs and World Series and Football game advertisements.
  • Reply 8 of 116
    Only the number of phones sold will prove this study right or wrong. I just don't believe it.
  • Reply 9 of 116
    Real. Men. Prefer. Apples.
  • Reply 10 of 116
    chris_cachris_ca Posts: 2,543member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by MacTripper View Post

I'm still waiting for a iPhone app emulator

It comes with the iPhone SDK.
  • Reply 11 of 116
    ifailifail Posts: 463member
    Quote:

Yeah!

And to celebrate its brand equity and consumer loyalty, Droids are being offloaded at 40% off.... http://www.intomobile.com/2009/11/20...from-dell.html

Is this company a joke?

Wait, i dont get it.

Is it Motorola's fault Dell is selling the phone for cheap? Last i checked it still costs 200 on contract nearly everywhere. It's up to the retailer to decide what price they put the phone at, ever walked into a wal-mart and notice they sell nearly every phone cheaper than most retailers? (sans iphone, since they'd be hemorrhaging money if they offered it at dirt cheap price since it costs the retailer a ton to buy one already)
  • Reply 12 of 116
    Quote:

I avoided the iPhone completely, unlike the many iPods I've owned, there is no way I'm going to pay over $100 a month for a device that doesn't do much of anything very well that I can't do better with regular devices or my MacBook Pro.

Oh, right. Who carries a laptop with them everywhere they go?

For one, who says you have to pay "over $100"? My bill is only 82.00 or 83.00, depending on how many text messages I get. Rather than not being able to afford an iPhone, I cannot afford not to own one. It has replaced my Roadrunner Lite Internet access at home (by way of tethering), my analog telephone, and my previous cell phone, for which my part of the family plan was over 50.00, for a phone that essentially did nothing but make phone calls.

My iPhone is also my GPS, alarm clock, PDA, iPod, calculator, notepad, portable yellow pages, shortwave radio, Twitter device, weather forecaster, YouTube viewer, game machine and emergency camera. With my iPhone-compatible Geo Metro, it plays music using the car's speakers, and enables me to talk on the phone while driving, also using the speakers. And, with tethering, it provides Internet access for my MacBook anytime it's needed.

Hard to take your post seriously ...
  • Reply 13 of 116
    Quote:

Yeah!

Is this company a joke?

The last Motorola product I coveted was the V60 and how long ago was that 10 years? I never really liked the razr with the big battery at the end of it and try entering a name via the keypad or drill down its clunky menu interface. Ugh!

It just goes to show, most people base 'value' solely on price, eg., a $16 dollar blender from China, via Walmart that lasts less than a year is a 'way better' value than a Braun blender that costs $99 that will last 12 years. Go figure!

This is why Apple doesn't want this part of the market. Apple wants the top 10% of the wealthiest customers because they drive 50% of the economy. The other 90% of the consumers drive only 25% of the economy!

Thoughts?
  • Reply 14 of 116
    I hate to say that if you will change your loyalty based on a stupid commercial, it's pretty lame.

But hey, just like the crowds in Julius Caesar, whadda expect of the stupid?

Seriously, what does this Droid phone do that no other Android phone does? The new map GPS program? That's it?
  • Reply 15 of 116
    I've had two and my kids have had two additional ones. None of them lasted even a year! and the one that made it ~10 months had a battery that lasted only about 1 day with very low usage. I will not buy another Moto phone!

KRR
  • Reply 16 of 116
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by PaulSorensen View Post

Real. Men. Prefer. Apples.

Real people prefer to weigh all their options and how it fits their needs. In some cases, yes, Apples. In other cases, other companies.

Real people always question.
  • Reply 17 of 116
    hzchzc Posts: 63member
    And if Motorola's score did not beat Apple's score for this time period in this sub-section of the market, then what? Would the report have been based on girls under the age of 12 or seniors who are retired, or...?
  • Reply 18 of 116
    Quote:

I take your point...I came very close to getting a cheap Verizon phone (for coverage) and an iTouch (for wifi, emails, etc.) instead of upgrading my original iPhone...mainly because of the $100/mo data plan expense from ATT. In the end, I opted for the 3Gs and I very glad I did.

The 3Gs is magnificent compared to the original iPhone. And, besides, I didn't want to have to carry, charge, keep track of two units when I could just have one with the 3GS.

But again, Droid vs. iPhone is only half the argument....Apple's 'eco-system' is the other half. I'm sorry, I have better things to do than mess with trying to get a video from my phone to a windows based PC so anyone can view it....it's a nightmare. On Apple it's a dream!
  • Reply 19 of 116
    foobarfoobar Posts: 107member
    So within two weeks "brand loyalty" fluctuates from 50 to 20? And the margin of error is 2%? Yeah... that's why I don't buy most statistics.
  • Reply 20 of 116
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by sprockkets View Post

I hate to say that if you will change your loyalty based on a stupid commercial, it's pretty lame.

Say what? What are Justin Long and "I'm a Mac, You're a PC" commercials if anything but stupid. Face it-effective commercials work and Verizon deserves kudos for producing some awesome ones latey. The AT&T answer is totally lame and Apple's is OK. Bottom lines- the ads are working- big time for such a new product.