Do you think we'll ever see...

Posted:
in iPhone edited January 2014
...this in the Android Marketplace?

http://www.discoverbing.com/mobile/

If Microsoft had balls they'd be submitting it now.

Would Google approve it?

Would the FCC have to be called in?

Verizon is already pushing it out to their Blackberry's and it's preloaded on the Storm 2, I wonder if they'll push it to the Droid™.

I guess this is an issue that will probably remain hypothetical, feel free to discuss.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 2
    tulkastulkas Posts: 3,757member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by hill60 View Post

...this in the Android Marketplace?

http://www.discoverbing.com/mobile/

If Microsoft had balls they'd be submitting it now.

Would Google approve it?

Would the FCC have to be called in?

Verizon is already pushing it out to their Blackberry's and it's preloaded on the Storm 2, I wonder if they'll push it to the Droid™.

I guess this is an issue that will probably remain hypothetical, feel free to discuss.

1) I guess the first answer would be: it's a web page, why would they have to submit it?

2) Why would google try to block it? They allow you to change the default search provider in Chrome, so why not on the Android...or try to somehow prevent you from even using it?

3) If Google tried to block the bing search page or other pages, then yeah, the FCC probably would look into it.

4) It isn't so much hypothetical as it is a really dumb question.

In the end, if google did try blocking m.bing.com on their Android devices, it would be a move that showed they were desperate, afraid of competition, unwilling to innovate to compete and instead willing to use their platform for what might be viewed as an unfair competitive advantage in a different market. Could they block it? They could try. But that would be a pathetic, cowardly move. Similarly, if MS tried to block google from being used on Windows, it would be a really stupid move and anti-competitive.

What's the point of this thread?
  • Reply 2 of 2
    hill60hill60 Posts: 6,992member
    I was talking about the Bing application which Microsoft has made for Blackberry, it's like the Google App for iPhone's.

A hypothetical thread to discuss whether Google will allow applications into it's Marketplace which threaten it's business model based on advertising revenue by replacing core functionality, a counterpoint to the Google Voice App on iPhones.

Maybe this link explains it better:-

http://mobile.search.live.com/client...ad_manual.aspx

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tulkas View Post

1) I guess the first answer would be: it's a web page, why would they have to submit it?

2) Why would google try to block it? They allow you to change the default search provider in Chrome, so why not on the Android...or try to somehow prevent you from even using it?

3) If Google tried to block the bing search page or other pages, then yeah, the FCC probably would look into it.

4) It isn't so much hypothetical as it is a really dumb question.

In the end, if google did try blocking m.bing.com on their Android devices, it would be a move that showed they were desperate, afraid of competition, unwilling to innovate to compete and instead willing to use their platform for what might be viewed as an unfair competitive advantage in a different market. Could they block it? They could try. But that would be a pathetic, cowardly move. Similarly, if MS tried to block google from being used on Windows, it would be a really stupid move and anti-competitive.

What's the point of this thread?