Safari works fine for a few minutes, then "goes hot"

Posted:
in Genius Bar edited January 2014
Safari works just fine for about 5 minutes, then like clockwork, no new domains can be accessed and Safari's CPU usage goes crazy (65-95%). For example, if I go to apple.com, google.com and yahoo.com before the "crash," I can still go to these websites once the "crash" occurs. Once this "crash" occurs however, Safari begins using 65-95% of the CPU resources and no new domains can be accessed, although I can still browse the website I've already gone to (for example, I can check Yahoo Sports, even if I only visited Yahoo Mail previously). And the only way I can quit Safari is with a force quit. Then when I restart Safari, everything is fine for that 5 minute window, then Safari "crashes" all over again, even if I'm not using the computer.

I've updated my security updates, reset Safari, and deleted Safari's preferences (plist).

All the while, Firefox works just fine.

And ideas as to what's going on?

EDIT: I'm running a 12" 1.33 PB with 10.4.11 Tiger and 3.2.1 Safari.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 2
    Delete the cache directories manually. Reset doesn't do a good job. Check if Adobe Flash is the issue or if there is an incompatible plugin that doesn't work with 3.2.1 Safari and crashes after a bit.
  • Reply 2 of 2
    I think I've fixed it.

I actually removed all those plist, history, etc. files from my home library folder, not just my applications library folder...I think that did the trick.

Thanks for you help.