windows 7 installation hangs on 'completing installation' in boot camp

Posted:
in macOS edited January 2014
hi

i am trying to install windows 7 ultimate 32 bit using boot camp (in snow leopard) and each time i have tried (except on one occasion) the installation has hanged on the 'completing installation' stage. i initially had this problem, then one time it worked, but then i had to wipe my boot camp partition and start again, and since then no joy in installing windows 7 again.

when the installation hangs it sounds like the install DVD is making a whirring sound as though there is an issue reading the DVD. but i have tried two different windows 7 install DVDs in both drives on my Mac Pro and i keep getting the same problem.

i have tried installing without any peripherals plugged in, including my cinema display, but still no joy, except for that one occasion, when i am not aware of having done anything different.

the boot camp partition is 32GB, and i have the same issue whether starting the installation using the boot camp assistant, or just booting from the Windows DVD and formatting the boot camp partition during the install.

can anyone help me troubleshoot this?

thanks

nick