'Complicated' Verizon iPhone deal said to be unlikely in 2010

Comments

• Reply 21 of 83
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by burlesona View Post

I really hope T-Mobile USA gets the iPhone, that would be a dream come true for me.

Me too. Being a T-Mo user for six years.

Another point you can add to your list of what T-Mo offers... I see you were passionate enough regarding T-Mobile, that you registered in order to make your first post here on AI, as opposed to being a casual guest. I hope to read more.
  • Reply 22 of 83
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by webpoet73 View Post

Why would I leave Sprint? What's wrong with Sprint? NOTHING. That's what.

I don?t know why you would stay or leave them? or why you?d take it personally. Hell, I don?t even know who you are or what carrier you had until you just mentioned it, but the facts are that Sprint is hemorrhaging customers faster than any US carrier despite continued price drops in an attempt at retention.

They are also making a lot of expensive mistakes with technology to make them viable in the future. If T-Mo gets the iPhone this becomes an even bigger issue since the public generally has Verizon is paired with AT&T as the big players, and Sprint paired with T-Mo for cheaper rate plan offerings.
  • Reply 23 of 83
    tenobelltenobell Posts: 7,014member
    I agree T-Mo will likely have more aggressive pricing than AT&T. The pressure in on T-Mo to compete with ATT. But I seriously doubt T-Mo will offer the iPhone out of contract as expensive as the subsidy is.

AT&T will not have to lower its pricing, it will only need to provide better service.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by burlesona View Post

2. Price

T-Mobile consistently delivers more minutes / text / data at lower prices than the other networks. You can get an unlimited talk / text / data plan with no contract right now for $80 / month WITH NO CONTRACT!

AT&T costs $100 / month for unlimited talk with no text or data - $130 a month to get data and unlimited talk.

The iPhone going to T-Mobile would certainly drive prices down - T-Mobile will charge a lot less and eventually AT&T will have to lower its prices somewhat to remain competitive.

• Reply 24 of 83
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by noexpectations View Post

....if it is T-Mobile, what do they offer that AT&T does not?

AT&T has roll over minutes and over 20,000 free wifi hotspots (really nice when you need it).

Q for all the T-Mobile users....what can they offer us iPhone users that will make us switch?

Actual customer service that isn’t a complete joke?

3 times as many minutes for the same price?

Better coverage within large cities?

The ability to make a call longer than 5 minutes without it dropping?

A decent set of roaming agreements so you still have coverage when you go off-network?

Nah, no one would ever be interested in those things.
  • Reply 25 of 83
    Can anyone comment to T-Mobile's coverage in New York City? I want an iPhone, and in fact what I really want is a Verizon iPhone, but I've long ago accepted that the latter won't happen till 2012/2013. The only thing that currently keeps me from getting an iPhone is the fact that I live in Manhattan, and I'm well aware of how bad ATT is around here.

Does anyone know if T-Mo is any better?
  • Reply 26 of 83
    junkiejunkie Posts: 122member
    Its not that complicated.

1) So Apple needs to come out with a CDMA phone - this is not a big deal - every phone makers does this, sometimes across several models. Apple can do this in its sleep.

2) Pricing - are you kidding? They need to sit down and work out pricing. Uh, sorry, what is the big deal here?

3) App Store. If Verizon is ok with Android app-store then Apple's app-store should not be an issue.

Now would it be simpler to add T-Mobile as a support carrier? Maybe. Nothing really stops them from supporting every carrier, which they should.

Someone who wants an IPhone should not have to worry about switching carriers. They should just go to a store, any store, say what carrier they have and activate their new phone.
  • Reply 27 of 83
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ghostface147 View Post

Exactly. Apple will have no choice but to make a CDMA compatible phone for Verizon since their LTE rollout isn't going to be 100% complete until 2013.

Keep dreaming. A CDMA iPhone will never come. T-Mo could potentially get it next year or the year after as the 1700Mhz addition is a piece of cake.

Adi
  • Reply 28 of 83
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by junkie View Post

Its not that complicated.

1) So Apple needs to come out with a CDMA phone - this is not a big deal - every phone makers does this, sometimes across several models. Apple can do this in its sleep.

2) Pricing - are you kidding? They need to sit down and work out pricing. Uh, sorry, what is the big deal here?

3) App Store. If Verizon is ok with Android app-store then Apple's app-store should not be an issue.

Now would it be simpler to add T-Mobile as a support carrier? Maybe. Nothing really stops them from supporting every carrier, which they should.

Someone who wants an IPhone should not have to worry about switching carriers. They should just go to a store, any store, say what carrier they have and activate their new phone.

Apple has no interest in expanding it's costs to satisfy the CMDA market--a legacy market.
  • Reply 29 of 83
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by richardk32 View Post

Though Apple and Verizon may both focus on "customer control", their execution couldn't be further apart. Verizon's "control" ignores the customer for it's own gain, while Apple's makes the customer experience tantamount.

Example - Verizon's version of the Motorola RAZR. Verizon insisted on shoehorning their interface into the phone, removing or crippling existing features because they might reduce demand for Verizon-controlled services that they could bill extra for. The result - a phone that is maddeningly slow in responding to even simple commands. When you can count past 3 before the phone responds to a first level menu request, there is something wrong. When the same function (erase, for example) appears on different keys depending on whether you are in voice mail, text messaging in, or text messaging out, your interface has failed. VCast fails in the most basic way - it provides what Verizon wants to provide, regardless of what the customer wants, rather than what the customer wants, with Verizon enhancements that make that service even more desirable.

In short, Verizon is still the phone company, and their underlaying culture is still "we don't care, we don't have to." AT&T (aka Cingular) may have 3G and overall peak demand coverage problems, but they understood that the key to the iPhone was not the hardware, but the software and interface experience, and (VOIP not withstanding) kept their hands off.

Agreed. Verizon Customer Service is POS 101.
  • Reply 30 of 83
    Just to correct a bit the perpetual BS spreading around.

2013 is for VZW the projected date of the complete shutdown of CDMA networks.

Period.

P.S. Yeah, in Sep 2009 VZW have reported having been completely on track of their roadmap. Which means pre-commercial LTE deployment in two cities already in 2009.

Now, that's period.
  • Reply 31 of 83
    zepzep Posts: 130member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ivan.rnn01 View Post

Just to correct a bit the perpetual BS spreading around.

2013 is for VZW the projected date of the complete shutdown of CDMA networks.

Period.

really shutting it down in 4yrs? are you an idiot? there is no way it will be shut down once the LTE rollout is done.
  • Reply 32 of 83
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Zep View Post

really shutting it down in 4yrs? are you an idiot? there is no way it will be shut down once the LTE rollout is done.

Me? It's VZW's roadmap, ask them.
  • Reply 33 of 83
    Quote:

where's this mythical roadmap? got a link for it? until you provide a official roadmap of verizon's plan to cut off CDMA in 2013 (the year they expect LTE to be complete), you're still an idiot.
  • Reply 34 of 83
    Quote:

where's this mythical roadmap? got a link for it? until you provide a official roadmap of verizon's plan to cut off CDMA in 2013 (the year they expect LTE to be complete), you're still an idiot.

Banned by Google, eh?
  • Reply 35 of 83
    Quote:

Banned by Google, eh?

cant provide it? congrats on posting FUD. enjoy. idiot.
  • Reply 36 of 83
    Quote:

Could you post ther roadmap for us? This isn't like buying a new laptop where you transfer the data and retire the old machine, these a complex, multi-billion dollar investments.

As I recall it, Verizon previously stated testing in 2009, starting the rollout in 2010, completing in 2013 (which in itself is very unlikely) with LTE being used for data while CDMA is used for voice. CDMA has a good codec, it's well establshed, understood and will be more power efficient than LTE.

LTE doesn't even have voice in the spec, but with VoIP and QoS it doesn't need it, but it does mean that Verizon's entire internal voice infrastructure will have to be changed to accomodate LTE instead of CDMA. I'd be surprised if Verizon has any roadmap that details the end of CDMA at this point. It's just too viable not to keep it.
  • Reply 37 of 83
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by noexpectations View Post

Q for all the T-Mobile users....what can they offer us iPhone users that will make us switch?

Um...customer service that doesn't close it's doors at 9 pm or go MIA on Sunday. I was horrified when I got my first iPhone and discovered that the new AT&T Wireless (the second largest carrier in the nation) didn't have 24/7 CS and support. If you had an issue late Saturday afternoon, you would be out of luck until Monday.

Got back to TMo as soon as the unlock was available...
  • Reply 38 of 83
    Quote:

Quote:

cant provide it? congrats on posting FUD. enjoy. idiot.

I was gonna say don?t make direct personal attacks, but it?s too late.
  • Reply 39 of 83
    ifailifail Posts: 463member
    if t-mobile or sprint got the iphone it would absolutely crush not only Verizon (which ive had for years before switching to AT&T) but AT&T as well. Cheaper prices with very good coverage you cant beat, but T-Mo is lacking in its 3G areas thus far, although something like this would really help expand their user base. I do fear though that if it does rollout to T-Mo without a robust 3G network like the others it will bring T-Mo's reputation down like it has done to AT&T.

If a Sprint version of the iPhone came you had better believe Verizon will be sucking it up really fast to get the phone on their network, and it will also help patch the bleeding thats happening right now with Sprint and lack of stellar phones...while the Pre is a good one, every other high profile smartphone they have is on another carrier and they dont have the iPhone either as well as say the Droid or the Passion.

BTW, if you think Verizon is going to shut its CDMA network down when it makes the switch to LTE you are tripping on acid. CDMA will be quite alive even after LTE is completely rolled out and will most likely be for areas not covered in LTE to still get decent speeds for connectivity and have voice coverage in all those areas they have now. 1XEV will become the new EDGE speeds while LTE will be the top dog.
  • Reply 40 of 83
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by adisor19 View Post

Keep dreaming. A CDMA iPhone will never come. T-Mo could potentially get it next year or the year after as the 1700Mhz addition is a piece of cake.

Adi

Quote:
    Originally Posted by mdriftmeyer View Post

Apple isn't going to be on Verizon. Get used to it. They will more rapidly be on T-Mobile US than Verizon.

As LTE rollout commences, AT&T will see it's growth continue while Verizon will continue to see a net loss in subscribers.

There are no other Wireless providers to buy other than Cricket and other pay as you go rural players.

I have never said that I am craving a Verizon phone so I can switch. Quite the opposite, I want a verizon phone so there can be a mass exodus to them, which will free up the network for whoever stays. My point was that since LTE won't be 100% rolled out for a few more years, if Apple were to make a different phone, it would have to contain CDMA to support people who aren't currently on LTE. I never meant to sound like that they must make a CDMA phone or else.