New clone maker?

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014

Comments

• Reply 1 of 12
    addaboxaddabox Posts: 12,665member
    "This statement has not endorsed by Apple or Dell."

Not a good sign when no one is proofing your main page. The domain name resolves to Hart, WI, at an address that Google street view shows to be older, low-density office space-- kind of place where you might set up shop as an slightly disreputable PI or hang out your taxidermist shingle.

Another kid with ambitions working out of a single room with a folding table?
  • Reply 2 of 12
    quadra 610quadra 610 Posts: 6,757member
    They apparently sell other systems. They've even got photos up of the director and employees.

And another tidbit:

Exclusively from Kuhgar, buy the Mini 10v preloaded with Mac OS X Snow Leopard! Have all functionality of a Mac at 1/4 of the price!

http://mini10vhackintosh.com/

Preloaded, too.
  • Reply 3 of 12
    The parent company (www.kuhgar.com) sells recycled IT equipment. Judging by the bloggy posts by the owner on that page, it's a one man shop that recently has grown a bit, moving to Milwaukee and hiring an accounts person. The guy pictured looks to be about 20.
  • Reply 4 of 12
    Looks like they smartened up:

http://www.macdailynews.com/index.ph...aded_with_mac/

December 5th, 2009 7:30am

It has recently come to our attention that installing the OS X software on anything but a Mac violates Apple's End User License Agreement. We received an anonymous email informing us of the legality issues which referenced the Psystar case and we definately don't want to recreate that case. It was never our intention to violate Apple's EULA in any way. In light of this, we have discontinued this offer.
  • Reply 5 of 12
    Uh-huh. It's not like it is difficult to do it yourself, anyway.
  • Reply 6 of 12
    mactrippermactripper Posts: 1,328member
    Whack a mole.

If you see it pop up, try to hit it, but it soon disappears just to pop up elsewhere.

Apple needs a OS X performance hardware tie in or this is just going to continue on and on and on.

Apple might hit some, but most will get away.

Apple knew this, but why did they go ahead and do it is beyond me.

Perhaps they thought it was too expensive to add a special performance tied chip to every Mac just to prevent people who were not going to buy a Mac to begin with.

After all, how can you steal a hardware sale from Apple if your not planing on paying the price for a Mac? right?

Where Apple wins here is each clone is a loss for Microsoft. And perhaps Apple knows they can't win the game of whack a mole, so they just appear to be playing and allow thousands of cloners to continue to clone and suck Microsoft's market share away.

Sound like a plan or what?
  • Reply 7 of 12
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by MacTripper View Post

Whack a mole.

If you see it pop up, try to hit it, but it soon disappears just to pop up elsewhere.

Apple needs a OS X performance hardware tie in or this is just going to continue on and on and on.

Apple might hit some, but most will get away.

Apple knew this, but why did they go ahead and do it is beyond me.

Perhaps they thought it was too expensive to add a special performance tied chip to every Mac just to prevent people who were not going to buy a Mac to begin with.

After all, how can you steal a hardware sale from Apple if your not planing on paying the price for a Mac? right?

Where Apple wins here is each clone is a loss for Microsoft. And perhaps Apple knows they can't win the game of whack a mole, so they just appear to be playing and allow thousands of cloners to continue to clone and suck Microsoft's market share away.

Sound like a plan or what?

Agree, in part.

All you need is a Psystar precedent (like we have now) as a deterrent.

It worked with Khugar. It'll work with the next one that pops up in the US.
  • Reply 8 of 12
    mactrippermactripper Posts: 1,328member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Quadra 610 View Post

Agree, in part.

All you need is a Psystar precedent (like we have now) as a deterrent.

It worked with Khugar. It'll work with the next one that pops up in the US.

Hahaha, good one!

Apple has to locate the moles before they hit em!

Or try anyway and then when they do see one and warn them about their violation, they retreat back into their holes.

It's only the slow ones like Pystar that get wacked.

The game continues not only here in the US, but in many countries around the world.

Rather large field of moles I would say.

Not that I approve of the cloners, I just disapprove (or wonder about) Apple's failed approach to securing OS X to hardware.
  • Reply 9 of 12
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by MacTripper View Post

Hahaha, good one!

Apple has to locate the moles before they hit em!

Or try anyway and then when they do see one and warn them about their violation, they retreat back into their holes.

It's only the slow ones like Pystar that get wacked.

The game continues not only here in the US, but in many countries around the world.

Rather large field of moles I would say.

Not that I approve of the cloners, I just disapprove (or wonder about) Apple's failed approach to securing OS X to hardware.

How do you mean "locate"?

They advertise on the web, they'll be located easily. Or someone will inform the mole (like they did wit this one) and/or inform Apple.

When these moles pop up they make news. MDN broke the story on this one (Khugar.) If you're going to sell fake Macs commercially you'll get noticed, any way you slice it.
  • Reply 10 of 12
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by addabox View Post

Another kid with ambitions working out of a single room with a folding table?

If anything, that's a recommendation.

The 2 Steves started out from a garage box, for god's sake!
  • Reply 11 of 12
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Rokcet Scientist View Post

If anything, that's a recommendation.

The 2 Steves started out from a garage box, for god's sake!

I think there's a difference between someone working out of a room or a garage who is doing something innovative or inventing things, and someone working out of a room or a garage on what amounts to a marketing idea with a website.

I mentioned it because anyone can put up a website and give the impression that they are a "company" while evoking an impression of resources, personnel and a business plan, while perhaps being little more than a hobbyist.

Not that a hobbyist is necessarily not doing something interesting, but in the context of the controversies that have surrounded Mac clone makers, it's probably a good idea to take the measure of that clone maker. You or I could be a "clone maker" in sense I'm talking about within the week, if we wished, but that probably wouldn't be relevant to Apple's fortunes.
  • Reply 12 of 12
    I love to read posts that are very interesting especially those topics that are about financial matters, business and stock market conditions. It is good to read those posts for they broaden our knowledge about different issue concerning the business world.