2 TB HD Imac option : what brand ?

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited January 2014
Apart from saying that the 2 TB HD is 7200 rpm, I did not see any specifications :

Plate ? Cache ? ...

Does some people have this new HD, and what does they think of it (compared to the stock 1 TB) ?

Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 8
    benroethigbenroethig Posts: 2,782member
    Various.
  • Reply 2 of 8
    powerdocpowerdoc Posts: 8,123member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by BenRoethig View Post

Various.

Thanks for the answer
  • Reply 3 of 8
    I hate to be that guy to ask this, but why does it matter? There are only a few 2TB 7200RPM hard drives on the market (plus several with slower spindle speeds), and their performance is all but identical.

The Hitachi Deskstar HD32000 has 32MB of cache. The Seagate Barracuda XT ST32000641AS and Western Digital Caviar Black WD2001FASS both have 64MB of cache. Apple probably buys from whichever vendor quotes them the best price this month.
  • Reply 4 of 8
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by FuturePastNow View Post

I hate to be that guy to ask this, but why does it matter? There are only a few 2TB 7200RPM hard drives on the market (plus several with slower spindle speeds), and their performance is all but identical.

The Hitachi Deskstar HD32000 has 32MB of cache. The Seagate Barracuda XT ST32000641AS and Western Digital Caviar Black WD2001FASS both have 64MB of cache. Apple probably buys from whichever vendor quotes them the best price this month.

Thanks for your answer.

I am happy to hear that the performance are nearly identical (and I expect good)

That's all I wanted to know
  • Reply 5 of 8
    They should all be extremely fast, for mechanical drives, due to the high density of their platters.
  • Reply 6 of 8
    benroethigbenroethig Posts: 2,782member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by FuturePastNow View Post

Buying from multiple vendors also partially protects your products if one has a bad batch.
  • Reply 7 of 8
    I've only heard of hitachi being used for the 2TB HD, but there could be others..
  • Reply 8 of 8
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by wesley84 View Post

I've only heard of hitachi being used for the 2TB HD, but there could be others..

Thanks