Tablet rumors: February production start, 10-inch LCD screen

12346»

Comments

• Reply 101 of 113
    dave k.dave k. Posts: 1,306member
    It will be interesting to see if Apple integrations iLife '10 into their tablet. There were once rumors of lite versions of the iLife apps for the iPhone/iPod Touch that I wonder were put on ice until Apple's tablet was ready...
  • Reply 102 of 113
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Futuristic View Post

Touché, Doc. But do you disagree with the assertion that the Newton was a good idea, just a decade or so ahead of its time? Just wondering.

My Newton 120 was better in many respects than the Palm devices I owned for many years thereafter, so I don't think it was necessarily ahead of its time. It was a good idea, hobbled by some implementation problems in the first few iterations. My issue with the comparison to what Apple might do today is primarily the form factor. I just don't see Apple going anywhere close to the Newton direction, which was fine for the 1990s but not for the 2010s. I can also seen the new Apple device suffering if it's compared in any way to a product that failed.
  • Reply 103 of 113
    dave k.dave k. Posts: 1,306member
    iPhone & iPod Touch = New Newton

iPad Tablet = Entire new product market
  • Reply 104 of 113
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Dr Millmoss View Post

I can also seen the new Apple device suffering if it's compared in any way to a product that failed.

I never owned a Newton myself, but I sure coveted it when it came out. Some of the reporters at the newspaper I worked at at the time used eMate 300s and loved them for their portability and durability. I'm still not convinced that the Newton program was a failure. I think it was the victim of bad timing (when Apple was hemorrhaging cash) and poor planning/marketing. It was developed under Sculley's watch.

Now, I'm thinking that I may have confused some folks when I suggested a "new Newton"?I wasn't thinking of the old brick with a colour screen. I was thinking New Newton. Something svelte, sleek, slim, with multitouch interface, stylus input, GPS, Airport, Bluetooth, etc., etc. What the original Newton was meant to be if it hadn't been hobbled by the technological limitations of its day (and Apple's near death-throes).

Personally, I think it would be pretty cool if they resurrected the "Newton" name for this new tablet. As long as they don't call it "iPad". Egads.
  • Reply 105 of 113
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Futuristic View Post

I never owned a Newton myself, but I sure coveted it when it came out. Some of the reporters at the newspaper I worked at at the time used eMate 300s and loved them for their portability and durability. I'm still not convinced that the Newton program was a failure. I think it was the victim of bad timing (when Apple was hemorrhaging cash) and poor planning/marketing. It was developed under Sculley's watch.

Now, I'm thinking that I may have confused some folks when I suggested a "new Newton"?I wasn't thinking of the old brick with a colour screen. I was thinking New Newton. Something svelte, sleek, slim, with multitouch interface, stylus input, GPS, Airport, Bluetooth, etc., etc. What the original Newton was meant to be if it hadn't been hobbled by the technological limitations of its day (and Apple's near death-throes).

Personally, I think it would be pretty cool if they resurrected the "Newton" name for this new tablet. As long as they don't call it "iPad". Egads.

I think whatever it is, I sure as hell hope they don't call it Newton. That product did fail, you know -- commercially if not technically. It's not that the product was bad (by the time the second generation arrived, it was pretty good), but as far as the market was concerned, it was neither fish nor foul. I was never sure what the Newton was meant to be -- and I owned one (still do, actually). The software never caught up with the hardware.
  • Reply 106 of 113
    Leonardo.
  • Reply 107 of 113
    I for one am extremely excited about this tablet and can't wait to get my hands on one.

http:www.ereaderuniverse.com
  • Reply 108 of 113
    synpsynp Posts: 248member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Dr Millmoss View Post

Though I suppose it's not strictly incorrect, it's certainly awkward to use the adverbial form to begin a sentence. We've recently carved out an exception for the adverbial form of "hope" which we don't do for other adverbial forms. For example, it would sound strange to say "expectantly, I will see the doctor," when we mean "I expect to see the doctor." But we've become comfortable with "hopefully, I will see the doctor," when we mean "I hope to see the doctor."

distinctly I remember it was in the bleak December

And each separate dying ember wrought its ghost upon the floor.

Eagerly I wished the morrow; -- vainly I had sought to borrow

From my books surcease of sorrow -- sorrow for the lost Lenore.
  • Reply 109 of 113
    esoomesoom Posts: 155member
    I saw a chart a couple of months ago, and it listed 2 different tablet type devices coming out, I suspect one without a 3G radio and one with.

Makes sense with as much as the Touch has helped the app store sales/popularity. It also makes the tablet much more likely to penetrate the educational market. A high price 3G tablet with a monthly fee would have entry problems into that market.
  • Reply 110 of 113
    addaboxaddabox Posts: 12,665member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by synp View Post

distinctly I remember it was in the bleak December

And each separate dying ember wrought its ghost upon the floor.

Eagerly I wished the morrow; -- vainly I had sought to borrow

From my books surcease of sorrow -- sorrow for the lost Lenore.

Nice citation, but I suspect that the mid-nineteenth century and long form poetry aren't strong indicators of proper current usage.
  • Reply 111 of 113
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by addabox View Post

Nice citation, but I suspect that the mid-nineteenth century and long form poetry aren't strong indicators of proper current usage.

Yes, and as I pointed out, it's not necessarily incorrect, but awkward in speech -- as in prose speech. (If you're speaking in iambic pentameter, you're probably in a play by Shakespeare.) Also, using my example, if you say "hopefully, I will see the doctor," the implication is that you are hopeful about what the doctor will tell you, not that you simply hope to see one. A subtle but important difference in meaning.
  • Reply 112 of 113
    tubbyteetubbytee Posts: 68member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by tubbytee View Post

prediction: this will be an "advanced" iPod touch with a 10.1 inch screen and at least 100GB memory with advanced ebook features galore and optional data service from verizon wireless/sprint with a $600-$800 price point.

advanced: yes

10.1 inch screen: 9.7

100 gb memory: 16, 32, 64

ebook: yes

3G: at&t

price: starts at $500