27" iMac Glossy Screen Hacking idea - is this stupid?

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited January 2014
I am so sad, I had to cancel my quad-core i7 27" iMac order after using another 27" iMac - the eye-strain would have prevented me from using this machine for 10 hours a day. The glossy screen was causing me trouble, but it was not the actual reflection of an image. I don't know what it was, but it was a problem. I was really looking forward to that machine.

TRYING TO SOLVE THE PROBLEM

I saw a Mac Tear down where the front glass was removed. The LCD panel itself was high gloss, not just the glass in front.

Would it be possible to remove the protective glass and put an anti-glare film right on the LCD panel?

I think even if there is an anti-glare screen on the glass, it would still cause a problem with the panel reflections.

The protective glass would not be there, but at least there would be some protection from scratches with the film.

Would I just have to make my own bezel for the edges?

I am hoping that removing the protective glass and putting an anti-glare film directly onto the LCD panel might make for a very viewable screen, at least before it is broken by some object falling onto it.

Has anyone seen or tried anything like this? I really really want to run that machine, but I will have to work many hours next year in front of a computer and can not afford any extra eye-strain.

Ideas anyone?

-heartbroken Mac Fanboy

Comments

• Reply 1 of 10
    Turn down the brightness.
  • Reply 2 of 10
    Yep, I just turn down the brightness. Also, how long did you use it? It is normal to experience eye strain the first time you use any new monitor, as your eyes need to adjust to it. I have severe eye strain for a year now, and the glossy imac has not increased that. (or decreased it)

Anyway, there are anti glare films that you can put on the glass, though that will probably result in a little blurriness.. (RadTech has one for the 27 inch already)
  • Reply 3 of 10
    Would what the OP is suggesting void the warranty?
  • Reply 4 of 10
    Thanks guys, I did not try turning down the brightness-will do.

I did not know that there would be eye-strain in a new monitor. When I purchased my last monitor, I had the opposite experience as it seemed great right away. It was a bargain chinese 24" monitor approx 40% cheaper than a Samsung. It was so cheap I think they did not bother with a protective layer on top of the LCD. It has the Westinghouse name but I think that some Chinese company just paid for the rights to use the name. I have not found any others like it.

I will try a longer session next time and pay attention to the brightness. Thanks for your help.
  • Reply 5 of 10
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by webpoet73 View Post

Would what the OP is suggesting void the warranty?

Yes, I am certain that it would void the warranty, but since the bezel is apparently held on by magnets and can be pulled off (perhaps requiring more mechanical skill than I may have) is there any way that Apple could detect the warranty violation as long as I replaced the bezel on the iMac if it ever went back for repair? (The two macs I have now have not been in for repair at all).

-Mac Fanboy
  • Reply 6 of 10
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by davidsuzuki View Post

Yes, I am certain that it would void the warranty, but since the bezel is apparently held on by magnets and can be pulled off (perhaps requiring more mechanical skill than I may have) is there any way that Apple could detect the warranty violation as long as I replaced the bezel on the iMac if it ever went back for repair? (The two macs I have now have not been in for repair at all).

-Mac Fanboy

You should try a film like this:

http://www.radtech.us/Products/ClearCal-Displays.aspx

This will not void your warranty.

Btw, when did you order your iMac? I see that it shipped today for you and it is configured just like the one I ordered.
  • Reply 7 of 10
    My order confirmation was emailed Nov 27th, so I think I ordered it late on the 26th. on the on-line store just before mid-night. I am at GMT-5:00.

FYI Here is my configuration:

IMAC 27"/4850-512MB Z0GF $2,539.00 (CDN$ with a cheap printer to be rebated by mail)

With the following configuration:

* PROCESSOR 065-9233 2.8GHZ QUAD-CORE INTEL CORE I7

* MEMORY 065-9265 8GB 1066MHZ DDR3 SDRAM - 4X2GB

* HARD DRIVE 065-9411 1TB SERIAL ATA DRIVE

* GRAPHICS 065-8981 ATI RADEON HD 4850 512MB

* OPTICAL DRIVE 065-9410 8X DOUBLE-LAYER SUPERDRIVE

* MOUSE AM065-8412 APPLE MAGIC MOUSE-AM

* APPLE SOFTWARE - IWORK 065-7672 NONE

* APPLE SOFTWARE - FINAL CUT EXP 065-7674 NONE

* APPLE SOFTWARE - APERTURE 065-7673 NONE

* APPLE SOFTWARE - LOGIC EXPR 065-7675 NONE

* APPLE SOFTWARE - FILEMAKER 065-8307 NONE

* APPLE SOFTWARE - MS OFFICE 065-8198 NONE

* APPLE KEYBOARD & USER'S GUIDE 065-9381 WL KYBD & USER'S GUIDE

* COUNTRY KIT 065-8447 COUNTRY KIT,IMAC 27-INCH

Ships:

11 Dec

Here is the shipping info from UPS:

SHANGHAI, CN \t10/12/2009 \t21:25 \tDEPARTURE SCAN

\t10/12/2009 \t14:17 \tEXPORT SCAN

SHANGHAI, CN \t09/12/2009 \t16:13 \tORIGIN SCAN

CN \t09/12/2009 \t2:42 \tBILLING INFORMATION RECEIVED

My concern with the film is that I won't be able to apply it perfectly. With things such as screens, I am a bit OCD and I could see myself spending more time fixing the screen than working on the computer. I asked apple if they could apply such a thing and I could pay for it (really,... I did). The nice thing about Apple..... they didn't just laugh at me, the tech support guy said that he would check with the factory. I don't know if he just put the phone down and giggled and pretended to check, but at least they did not make fun of my request. Of course, that was also the guy that tole me a mac book pro could run TWO external monitors. (maybe revenge)

They were also very nice when I explained that I would not be able to use the computer for an extended work-day. Maybe the info was wrong, but it was very pleasant customer support. That is above average.

Anyway, they gave me the RMA so that I can return it when it comes tomorrow at no charge. If I want to try the film and then return it, that will be a $300 experiment. Is it worth it?

Or should I wait until they come out with a non-glossy option as on the Mac book Pro (or until hell freezes over?)

My current system is a 2009 plastic mac book (not pro) with my bargain chinese monitor. It looks very sweet but I will be doing a lot of CAD work and using Fusion etc so I do run the 4GB DDR2 RAM a bit heavily.

I have until tomorrow to change my mind. If you are nearby, you can pick up my apple and cancel your order. If I don't open the box it doesn't cost me anything.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by palple View Post

You should try a film like this:

http://www.radtech.us/Products/ClearCal-Displays.aspx

This will not void your warranty.

Btw, when did you order your iMac? I see that it shipped today for you and it is configured just like the one I ordered.

• Reply 8 of 10
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by davidsuzuki View Post

Anyway, they gave me the RMA so that I can return it when it comes tomorrow at no charge. If I want to try the film and then return it, that will be a $300 experiment. Is it worth it?

I'd give it a try, since the iMac you are getting soon is a beast and I don't think Apple will make a non glossy display an option.
  • Reply 9 of 10
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by palple View Post

I'd give it a try, since the iMac you are getting soon is a beast and I don't think Apple will make a non glossy display an option.

There are other threads on AI from the last month discussing this topic. Do NOT buy the film.

All you really have to do in put the back of the iMac to the window. Put your lamp to the side. Reflection gone.
  • Reply 10 of 10
    It would be a whole lot easier to just get over it. You can control your environment- including how much light is behind you.