Ad war propels Verizon, AT&T in young adult customer awareness

Posted:
in iPhone edited January 2014
Both AT&T and Verizon have benefited from an ongoing advertising war between the two U.S. wireless providers, though a new study has found Verizon has seen greater gains.

A study released this week by YouGov's BrandIndex found that the advertisements, lawsuits and publicity surrounding AT&T and Verizon have propelled both companies to higher levels of awareness among adults aged 18 to 34. Both AT&T and Verizon began November with about 40 percent of young adults hearing something about their brand, with AT&T slightly ahead of its rival. But by early December, the companies' awareness levels had rocketed to above 50 percent.

Verizon saw the greatest gains, with 62.2 percent of adults 18 to 34 having heard something about the company. More than half of respondents -- 54.5 percent -- said the same about AT&T.

"They say a rising tide lifts all boats, but in the ad world, it works especially well when two rival wireless carriers launch blistering campaigns and file lawsuits," YouGov said in a press release. "According to consumer perception research company YouGov's BrandIndex, those ad dollars have fueled increasing young adult mindshare for both brands, with Verizon Wireless' awareness passing by AT&T the last week of November."

The study was pulled from a daily survey of over 5,000 people from a representative U.S. population sample. More than 1.2 million interviews are conducted per year from an online panel of over 1.5 million individuals. Margin of error is said to be +/- 2 percent.

The same company found that Motorola had gained significant awareness from customers, pushing it past Apple, due to the hype of its new Droid handset.

The battle between Verizon and AT&T has been personal times, resulting in a lawsuit (that was later dropped) and featuring countless ads from both companies insulting the others' service and coverage. At one point Apple even indirectly entered the fray, touting the iPhone's ability to have simultaneous data and voice connections on the AT&T network -- something that cannot be done with Verizon.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 23
    What kind of rock do you need to be living under to NOT have heard about Verizon or AT&T???
  • Reply 2 of 23
    It's amazing what an iphone can do to the most annoying carrier in the US.

No, we can't say we have 5x more 3g coverage, we have to make sure the iphone is part of it too.
  • Reply 3 of 23
    Too bad "studies" like these only apply to a given day, nay, hour, as young adults' attention spans last about as long as a French war.

To wit: Blink 182 was the best band of July 23, 2006, in the 2 to 3 p.m. (PST) time range.

Come here tomorrow when the Hyacinth Turbo 10KX will be the hottest phone du heures.
  • Reply 4 of 23
    The device makes the carrier.
  • Reply 5 of 23
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Quadra 610 View Post

Strange but true.
  • Reply 6 of 23
    I agree about the Snapshot Element in all these Polls... I also feel like it's a Rock and Hard Place situation...

I don't want to choose between Voice and Data, I want both... - VZ does NOT offer that...

I want stable connection and Roll-over Minutes - - VZ does NOT offer that...

I wonder if I should wait till 4th Generation iPhone a month after WWDC in Summer of 2010? By then it'd be clearer as far as iPhone's Exclusivity...

No Roll-over Minutes on VZ is a trap, attempt to hit us with Overtime minutes!!! I hate to look over my shoulder at the clock to avoid overtime, I hate not being able to keep/accumulate my minutes that I've paid for! It makes me LIVID!!! Those minutes are not like food, they don't go bad! It should be up to a CUSTOMER, not VZ when to use those minutes! VZ is simply too greedy! It's all Accounting Tricks to hide the Greed! But, Greed is legal..

All these studies, lawsuits, lawyers getting paid! How about putting those $$ into Networks!!!

Here in NYC area, I get Drop calls when I speak to VZ and ATT friends! The score is a virtual tie! So, the BS about THE NETWORK is BS!!! The ads, the studies, the lawsuits - BS aimed to distract us from the fact that carriers are racing each other to 4G, while the CEOs are doing hardball negotiation with phone makers and in this incestuous business!

Rock and Hard Place... Can't have it all.... Always a catch...

Recently a guy at T-Mobile store told me about $60 for 30 minutes Plans in his homeland, Argentina, plus $30 for 5 MEGABYTES, not GB!!!, of Data! So, I guess in US we are doing great! The funny part was that his own phone was Sprint! The store where he works was bought by T-Mobile from Sprint! They gave him a New Shirt, with a New Logo!

Kind of symbolic... The Logos change etc..., and it all sucks!

Then, when US Customer travels around the world there are additional challenges!

The Android Insanity is not for me... I want:

iPhone, Stable Connection, Voice and, not or Data at the same time, Rollover Minutes (WORLDWIDE, 24/7 would be nice)!!!

Nobody offers • that • in USA... yet! But at least USA is cheaper than Argentina (assuming that guy was not joking)! He said that Incoming Calls are free, and people keep asking each other to Call them, but nobody wants to use their minutes!

This BS will go on for a long time WORLDWIDE, even if all governments proclaim that having a phone is a Human Right, like Health Care!!!

Happy Holidays to all....!!!
  • Reply 7 of 23
    daharderdaharder Posts: 1,580member
    Quote:

In that case...

Congrats Verizon for introducing the most feature-laden, modern, user-customizable, best-reception/network having handset currently available in America.

DROID
  • Reply 8 of 23
    Verizon

Better 3G coverage....though depends on where you live/work/drive.

iPhone "map" is BLANK.

Slower 3G Network....1.4Mb.

No concurrent Voice/Data.

No rollover minutes.

Extras cost extra (visual voicemail).

AT&T

Faster 3G Network...3.2 Mb now.....and within a few months, 7.2 Mb will be rolled out in the 25 of the top 30 markets.

iPhone 3GS can immediately take advantage of the 7.2Mb Net.

Rollover Minutes.

Concurrent Voice/Data.

In my area, AT&T reception is very good....I get 4-5 bars inside my home now (goodbye landline).

I don't see the benefits of Verizon.
  • Reply 9 of 23
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by noexpectations View Post

In my area, AT&T reception is very good....I get 4-5 bars inside my home now.

I don't see the benefits of Verizon.

Agreed. A very satisfied customer here.
  • Reply 10 of 23
    foo2foo2 Posts: 1,077member
    Congrats AT&T for introducing the most feature-laden, modern, user-customizable, best-reception/network handset currently available in America and the world.

iPhone
  • Reply 11 of 23
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ghostface147 View Post

Agreed. A very satisfied customer here.

And here as well.
  • Reply 12 of 23
    Quote:

Except in AT&T's case...
  • Reply 13 of 23
    maestro64maestro64 Posts: 5,043member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by DaHarder View Post

In that case...

Congrats Verizon for introducing the most feature-laden, modern, user-customizable, best-reception/network having handset currently available in America.

DROID

Droid which is a Verizon term for all their Google android phone and Verizon had no say in how those phones were designed which is a good thing for consumers. Also, Verizon do not want consumer to distinguish hardware manufactures that is why all the phones are call Droid so when you walk in a ask for a Droid you get what they have in stock which could be any number of suppliers.

But as they said the honeymoon is not over yet, you will start hearing the complaints.

One of which I heard a number of times recently... Software updates are pushed to the phone whether you like it not, then you get a message telling you to reboot the phone to update if you do, the next time the phone boots you will see they change things about how you had the phone set up. I have heard people complaining that they do not like how the software updates reset or change how people have the phone configured.

Update my iphone a couple of times and never had this issue other than when the update included new features and I choice to do the update when I wanted. I do not update right away I let the fouls do it first and see what problem they run into. Oh those automatic push updates if not done right can brick the phone, won't they be lovely when your out on the road.
  • Reply 14 of 23
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by masstrkiller View Post

Except in AT&T's case...

There is an ocean of people who chose AT&T because of the iPhone, and put up with it because of the iPhone.
  • Reply 15 of 23
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Maestro64 View Post

Droid which is a Verizon term for all their Google android phone and Verizon had no say in how those phones were designed which is a good thing for consumers. Also, Verizon do not want consumer to distinguish hardware manufactures that is why all the phones are call Droid so when you walk in a ask for a Droid you get what they have in stock which could be any number of suppliers.

But as they said the honeymoon is not over yet, you will start hearing the complaints.

One of which I heard a number of times recently... Software updates are pushed to the phone whether you like it not, then you get a message telling you to reboot the phone to update if you do, the next time the phone boots you will see they change things about how you had the phone set up. I have heard people complaining that they do not like how the software updates reset or change how people have the phone configured.

Update my iphone a couple of times and never had this issue other than when the update included new features and I choice to do the update when I wanted. I do not update right away I let the fouls do it first and see what problem they run into. Oh those automatic push updates if not done right can brick the phone, won't they be lovely when your out on the road.

Precisely why I want an unlocked phone so the bastards can't do that. My guess is having a non verizon firmware will prevent that, because that is annoying. To be fair win mob phones did that too on Att. Ironically, the old Treo 700w had to be updated manually (on verizon at a time where 3G was new), at a time when other winmob phones didn't need manual updating (Palm sucks).
  • Reply 16 of 23
    Young adults have awareness???
  • Reply 17 of 23
    Quote:

There is an ocean of people who chose AT&T because of the iPhone, and put up with it because of the iPhone.

Yes but that does not make the carrier. It should not matter in the eyes of the consumer that AT&T has been built up by Apple. What should matter is that AT&T is not doing their share to build a competent network in major U.S. cities. AT&T has proven themselves incompetent to adjust and to invest in a fully realized and working network. Their latest ad campaign is evidence that they themselves are grasping at straws. Its their way of trying to find reasons to feel hopeful about a bad situation. For their customers too.

It does not make the carrier because in the end you get a bad network.
  • Reply 18 of 23
    A non scientific poll among friends and colleagues found the Verizon ads funny and effective. Specially the misfit ad. Most doesn't even mention AT&T, its usually phrased like this; "that was funny, the iPhone really sucks at coverage"
  • Reply 19 of 23
    Hi,Dear Ladies and Gentlemen,Here are the most popular, most stylish and avantgarde shoes,handbags,Tshirts,jacket,Tracksuitw ect...

http://www.kkshoe.com /productlist.asp?id=s76(Tracksuit)

Christmas is approaching, your Christmas gifts ready?

kkshoe com mall for you, which involves a number of well-known brands from the Asia-Pacific region the trend of merchandise. Promotional discounts should be, come SHOPPING bar!Christmas sale, free shipping discounts are beautifully gift ,Christmas gifts,look, Best quality, Best reputation , Best services Service is our Lift.

Nike shox $35,Handbags(Coach lv fendi d&g) $35

Tshirts (Polo ,ed hardy,lacoste) $16

ugg boot,POLO hoody,Jacket,ect...

For details, please consult http://www.kkshoe.com

Thanks!!! Advance wish you a merry Christmas.
  • Reply 20 of 23
    Quote:

Actually I think there were tons of people that picked the iPhone not knowing how bad ATT is, the phone doesn't make the carrier because the phone does't work well if the carrier has a poor network.