Mac os 9 install on Mac Os X 10.4.11

Posted:
in macOS edited January 2014
I need to Install Mac Classic on My Mac Os X in order to use Statistical Package named Progitiel R.However when i try to install Mac classic it does'nt let me.If someone could help me out it would very much be appreaciated

thank you

Comments

• Reply 1 of 2
    mr. memr. me Posts: 3,221member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by OldWomenThatNeedsHelp View Post

I need to Install Mac Classic on My Mac Os X in order to use Statistical Package named Progitiel R.However when i try to install Mac classic it does'nt let me.If someone could help me out it would very much be appreaciated

thank you

You have given absolutely no information about your system. You cannot install Classic on an Intel-based Mac. If your computer is Intel-based, then you are SOL.

If your computer is PPC-based, then the easiest way to install Classic is to insert your System Restore disc and install it from there.

You will have to install MacOS 9 drivers on your hard drive. With MacOS 9 drivers installed on your PPC-based Mac, you can install MacOS 9 by drag & drop from another MacOS 9 installation. From any source?networked MacOS 9 computer, bootable removable drive, whatever?you may drag the System Folder and Applications (Mac OS 9) folder to the root-level of your MacOS X 10.4.11 computer or wherever you prefer. This should enable the Classic preferences pane in System Preferences. You may then click the Start/Stop tab in the Classic preferences pane and select the newly installed System Folder as your "system folder for Classic."
  • Reply 2 of 2
    aquaticaquatic Posts: 5,602member
    Hi OldWomenThatNeedsHelp,

Welcome to AppleInsider. If could provide more information on your system we can provide better help. However I have another suggestion: "Sheep Shaver". This is a piece of software that WILL allow you to run MacOS 9 "Classic" applications on your Mac, even if you have an Intel Mac. It works in any OS X as well.

http://www.emaculation.com/doku.php/sheepshaver (official site)

http://www.macwindows.com/OS9_on_Intel_Mac.html

(MacWindows is a helpful website)

Just get a System Folder of OS 9 from an old Mac or the install disc as mentioned above.

Good luck!