Intel to detail next-gen MacBook Pro processors at CES

Posted:
in Future Apple Hardware edited January 2014
Intel's "Arrandale" dual-core processors, expected by some industry watchers to be the chips Apple will adopt to further its MacBook Pro line, are said to be in production and shipping to vendors ahead of their planned introduction next month.

Intel announced this week that the new chips will debut at CES on Jan. 7, 2010. They will be a part of a "32-nanometer-minute" press conference and accompanying keynote by the company's chief executive, Paul Otellini.

Intel said the "major news event" will introduce the upcoming Intel Core processors that will bring Turbo Boost Technology to mainstream markets. The new chips include Core i3 and Core i5 mobile processors. In addition, new Core i7 chips are also expected.

At a press event held Thursday, Intel officials revealed that the company is releasing 17 new CPUs that will arrive in new machines set to debut in early 2010. The new 32nm chips offer improved speed, better graphics performance and lower power consumption. Specifics, such as prices and clock speeds, were not discussed.

The new processors are set to improve upon the previous line of Intel's Core 2 Duo chips, which have been utilized in versions of Apple's new MacBook, MacBook Pro, and iMac. Apple uses the mobile variants of Intel's desktop chips for those systems, meaning machines with chips based on the Arrandale architecture could arrive in early 2010.

Unlike the Core 2 Duo CPUs, Arrandale processors will have the major northbridge chipset memory controller components built in. Currently, Apple uses Nvidia chipsets with its Mac lineup. But the architectural changes through Arrandale -- along with an ongoing lawsuit that has forced Nvidia to halt the development of future chipsets -- would likely make it difficult for Apple to continue with Nvidia.

Apple last updated its MacBook Pro line in June at the Worldwide Developers Conference. Those systems included Core 2 Duo processors and Nvidia graphics, along with cheaper prices, better displays and built-in batteries.

Earlier this week, details on Intel's forthcoming "Gulftown" 32nm, six-core processor leaked. The supposed Core i7-980X 3.33GHz could be a part of Mac Pro systems in early 2010.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 98
    I'm worried about the graphics cards. Intel isn't known for such, and the childish behavior towards Nvidia has left many wondering what they'll use that's better then the 9400m??? I think the 13" will stay the same and the 15" & 17" will have the refresh due to graphics.... Intel should just buy Nvidia (If they'll even be allowed)

Though Apple being Apple, will usually surprise us for the good and will see how much better this next refresh will be. Have no fear Steve is there
  • Reply 2 of 98
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by MobileMe View Post

I'm worried about the graphics cards. Intel isn't known for such, and the childish behavior towards Nvidia has left many wondering what they'll use that's better then the 9400m??? I think the 13" will stay the same and the 15" & 17" will have the refresh due to graphics.... Intel should just buy Nvidia (If they'll even be allowed)

Though Apple being Apple, will usually surprise us for the good and will see how much better this next refresh will be. Have no fear Steve is there

While I hope this is the case I am not sure its going to be. When was the last time Apple used the lastest chip offering in a new update?

I also keep seeing more article like this as the update gets closer.

http://www.brightsideofnews.com/news...-graphics.aspx
  • Reply 3 of 98
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by extremeskater View Post

While I hope this is the case I am not sure its going to be. When was the last time Apple used the lastest chip offering in a new update?

I also keep seeing more article like this as the update gets closer.

http://www.brightsideofnews.com/news...-graphics.aspx

Yeah I've read alot of published articles like that. Nvdia is really the better option (whether Intel likes that or not).

Here's a CRAZY IDEA... What if Apple had PA Semi engineers made custom chips for not only the iPhone but Notebooks also & Apple decided to buy Nvdia & they made graphics cards just for Apple! .. Ehh just my dreaming though
  • Reply 4 of 98
    Hopefully Apple willl take advantage of the integrated graphics chip for battery only operation and put in a higher end graphics chip for plugged in use in the 15" and 17". That means we can completely ignore the crappy Intel graphics and use the real graphics chip.

If what we read about efficient power use, etc. is accurate, it could be advantageous having only one real graphics card instead of stuffing in two.

How about better audio circuitry?
  • Reply 5 of 98
    Quote:

bundleGate. That's all I'll say for fear of Vinea or other "supervisory" powers that be coming down on me. That... and it's so interesting that this article didn't really mention bundleGate. This is truly how liberty dies, with thunderous applause... at CES 2010.
  • Reply 6 of 98
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jeffharris View Post

Hopefully Apple willl take advantage of the integrated graphics chip for battery only operation and put in a higher end graphics chip for plugged in use in the 15" and 17". That means we can completely ignore the crappy Intel graphics and use the real graphics chip.

If what we read about efficient power use, etc. is accurate, it could be advantageous having only one real graphics card instead of stuffing in two.

How about better audio circuitry?

THANK YOU very much for raising issues like this early on in this thread. I shan't say more.
  • Reply 7 of 98
    i'd love to buy an new macbook pro with matte screen and Blu-ray

wonder if apple will ever support blu-ray ? getting frustrating at this point.
  • Reply 8 of 98
    al_bundyal_bundy Posts: 1,525member
    Quote:

Yeah I've read alot of published articles like that. Nvdia is really the better option (whether Intel likes that or not).

Here's a CRAZY IDEA... What if Apple had PA Semi engineers made custom chips for not only the iPhone but Notebooks also & Apple decided to buy Nvdia & they made graphics cards just for Apple! .. Ehh just my dreaming though

apple will never buy a competitor to their main CPU supplier. nvidia supplies dell and HP as well and that business will vanish if apple buys them
  • Reply 9 of 98
    Quote:

these days almost everything is better than the ancient 9400M
  • Reply 10 of 98
    zepzep Posts: 130member
    Quote:

nvidia is way behind the graphics card curve right now. ati is beating them into the ground. the 9400m is quite old by today's standards.
  • Reply 11 of 98
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by al_bundy View Post

these days almost everything is better than the ancient 9400M

Something like the Nvidia GT 230m would be a nice option. I can't see them going with anything like a 260m or 280m.
  • Reply 12 of 98
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

Earlier this week, details on Intel's forthcoming "Gulftown" 32nm, six-core processor leaked. The supposed Core i7-980X 3.33GHz could be a part of Mac Pro systems in early 2010.

Apple uses Xeon in the MacPro.
  • Reply 13 of 98
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Zep View Post

nvidia is way behind the graphics card curve right now. ati is beating them into the ground. the 9400m is quite old by today's standards.

That simply isn't true. The Nvidia 2XXM seriers mobile chips are way ahead of ATI. Here are the specs on the 280m

http://www.nvidia.com/object/product...x_280m_us.html
  • Reply 14 of 98
    This is gossip.

Intel said nothing of the kind: ``Intel to detail next-gen MacBook Pro processors at CES.''

BS.

Where in their statements do they cite Apple?

http://www.intel.com/pressroom/archi...091217corp.htm

Seriously? Where in there does it state Apple?
  • Reply 15 of 98
    Quote:

Not in the mobile space.

Only most recently in the desktop space.
  • Reply 16 of 98
    I feel like Apple will Have to follow at least some of the general trend.

Given that and their price-sensitivity on anything but Pro machines, and we'll probably be seeing Intel graphics on every laptop short of the $2k MBP. -Hell, maybe even on the entry-level iMac.

I just don't see any other way.

Yes, you can switch gpus even with the on-package stuff, but Apple's not paying for another component on the circuitboard if they can help it.

And with the 9400M still being about 2-3x faster than the x4500MHD, the newer machines might be a step backward, as the "Intel HD Graphics" on the new chip probably won't be more than a sneeze above the 4500. Maybe even just putting the 45 itself into the new config.

Oh well. Alas, poor Nvidia. We hardly knew ye.
  • Reply 17 of 98
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by superkaratemonkeydeathcar View Post

I feel like Apple will Have to follow at least some of the general trend.

Given that and their price-sensitivity on anything but Pro machines, and we'll probably be seeing Intel graphics on every laptop short of the $2k MBP. -Hell, maybe even on the entry-level iMac.

I just don't see any other way.

Yes, you can switch gpus even with the on-package stuff, but Apple's not paying for another component on the circuitboard if they can help it.

And with the 9400M still being about 2-3x faster than the x4500MHD, the newer machines might be a step backward, as the "Intel HD Graphics" on the new chip probably won't be more than a sneeze above the 4500. Maybe even just putting the 45 itself into the new config.

Oh well. Alas, poor Nvidia. We hardly knew ye.

My guess:

Arrandale cpus with dedicated graphics on the MBP line.

MacBooks and the mini keep Core 2 cpus with a speed bump and the 9400m.

If the iMac gets the Clarksdale cpu for the 21" model and entry 27' then it'll get dedicate graphics.
  • Reply 17 of 98
    spec for spec the price of the MBP is way too much compared to something similar from Dell or HP. iMac's are in line. at some point Apple is going to have to upgrade the graphics or the recent sales gains will vanish. especially with hardware accelerated flash coming to Windows PC's next year
  • Reply 19 of 98
    Quote:

Just over one year ago Nvidia came to Apple many months prior to the official announcement, and talked to Apple about a major graphics card they wanted to build. That would combine the chipset & an extremely powerful embedded graphics processor all in one part all for a desktop computer. We (Apple) loved that idea but wanted to use that in a notebook & wanted to work together with Nvidia on that. Which turned out to be something GREAT! and they dubbed it the 9400m. Which is an amazing chip! IMO
    • The chipset + GPU (ALL UNDER ONE DIE)

70% Of the die area is the GPU (30% is the chipset)

It has 16 parallel graphics cores on it.

Which delivers 54 GIGAFLOPS of graphics performance (So it's a stunner in regards to performance)

It turned out that this was 5x faster then the previous integrated graphics Apple were using in their prior notebooks...AGAIN up to 5x Faster! (Who says Apple doesn't love the Consumer?!?)

The 9600M GT Is the State of the Art in Mobile graphics

That has 32 Parallel graphics cores

120 GIGAFLOPS

and 512MB Video memory.

Not to mention the great battery life that came with Nvdia after moving to their chipset architecture..... WITH THAT SAID I HOPE APPLE DOES SKIP ARRANDALE

TO ADD: NVIDIA IS STILL AHEAD OF THE CURVE
  • Reply 20 of 98
    zepzep Posts: 130member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by al_bundy View Post

spec for spec the price of the MBP is way too much compared to something similar from Dell or HP. iMac's are in line. at some point Apple is going to have to upgrade the graphics or the recent sales gains will vanish. especially with hardware accelerated flash coming to Windows PC's next year

i tend to agree with this.

macs would be better received if they had some bigger horsepower behind the graphics cards for the gamers. i can build a rig that costs about $1k less and has more graphics power.