applecare purchase from resellers

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
I purchased a new Macbook Pro for my daughter. Decided to shop around for an Applecare contract. It seems that they are available from many resellers (eg ecrater , ebay , amazon) at substantial discounts. She would be able to buy from Apple on student plan for $239 but ecrater sells for $210 and ebay for $169. Are these legitimate resellers ? Do they buy Applecare contracts in bulk from Apple? Called Apple and they wouldn't confirm or deny legitimacy ? ANy one with experience out there?

thx in advance

Comments

• Reply 1 of 1
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jassd View Post

I purchased a new Macbook Pro for my daughter. Decided to shop around for an Applecare contract. It seems that they are available from many resellers (eg ecrater , ebay , amazon) at substantial discounts. She would be able to buy from Apple on student plan for $239 but ecrater sells for $210 and ebay for $169. Are these legitimate resellers ? Do they buy Applecare contracts in bulk from Apple? Called Apple and they wouldn't confirm or deny legitimacy ? ANy one with experience out there?

thx in advance

Hmm... I wouldn't trust eBay or eCrater. I think get it from Apple on the education discount is fine.

As for Amazon.com, I'm not 100% sure on it nowadays because you can buy items which are carried by different retailers, not directly from Amazon themselves, it is hard to tell sometimes.

AppleCare is a price-controlled item like Macs so normally if it is very heavily discounted you would have to question whether they are an authorised reseller, and where they got the stock from, etc.

You want peace-of-mind, which is why you're buying the AppleCare in the first place. Again, I'd say get direct from Apple with the Apple education discount.