Evidence points to Apple's ownership of iSlate.com domain

Posted:
in Future Apple Hardware edited January 2014
Records show that Apple has owned the iSlate.com domain name since 2007, indicating a possible name for the company's much-rumored tablet device.

Apple has owned the domain iSlate.com since at least 2007 according to records discovered by MacRumors. The domain was registered in 2007 through MarkMonitor, a domain registrar and trademark protection service that has handled domains for companies such as Google, Yahoo and Apple.

Apple's ownership of the domain was displayed for several weeks in late 2007 before being quickly changed back to MarkMonitor. Currently the domain does not point to a website.

In October, Bill Keller, executive editor at the New York Times, made mention of an "impending Apple slate" during a presentation to the newspaper's digital staff:

"We need to figure out the right journalistic product to deliver to mobile platforms and devices. I'm hoping we can get the newsroom more actively involved in the challenge of delivering our best journalism in the form of Times Reader, iPhone apps, WAP, or the impending Apple slate, or whatever comes after that."

Rumors of Apple's forthcoming tablet device have been circulating for years but have reached a critical mass as of the end of 2009. Many expect the device to be announced early in 2010 with the tablet entering mass production as early as February.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 171
    You can look view the history of this domain here: http://web.archive.org/web/*/http://www.iSlate.com

Crap name for a gadget though.

Merry Xmas!!
  • Reply 2 of 171
    Sounds plausible.

The device may need a game changing name to separate it from other tablets that are soon to appear. Since someone owns, and has heavily protected, the ISLATE name since 2006 with the various worldwide trademark offices and domain registries, it could likely be Apple.
  • Reply 3 of 171
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

Records show that Apple has owned the iSlate.com domain name since 2007, indicating a possible name for the company's much-rumored tablet device.

In October, Bill Keller, executive editor at the New York Times, made mention of an "impending Apple slate" during a presentation to the newspaper's digital staff:

"We need to figure out the right journalistic product to deliver to mobile platforms and devices. I'm hoping we can get the newsroom more actively involved in the challenge of delivering our best journalism in the form of Times Reader, iPhone apps, WAP, or the impending Apple slate, or whatever comes after that."

For once, it looks like the New York Times knew what it was talking about!

Happy Birthday Jesus.
  • Reply 4 of 171
    cimcim Posts: 197member
    So it's going to be a rock?
  • Reply 5 of 171
    Really don't like the name. I think it really is a very......Microsoft......Google.....bleh, sort of name. Kind of like a technical person trying fruitlessly to make themselves relevant to the public. I'm not sure how Steve feels about reusing a product name, but iBook definitely seems like the most probable choice. Hmph, I guess we'll see on January 26. (I hope)
  • Reply 6 of 171
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Smiles77 View Post

Really don't like the name. I think it really is a very......Microsoft......Google.....bleh, sort of name. Kind of like a technical person trying fruitlessly to make themselves relevant to the public. I'm not sure how Steve feels about reusing a product name, but iBook definitely seems like the most probable choice, and my personal favorite. Hmph, I guess we'll see on January 26. (I hope)

But the fact that www.ibook.com is owned by someone else and active would indicate you are not going to get your choice.
  • Reply 7 of 171
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Leithal View Post

But the fact that www.ibook.com is owned by someone else and active would indicate you are not going to get your choice.

The website has a listing which puts its oldest patent at 2002, and the name they have is only the website. Apple evidently does not own www.macbook.com either. The name copyright for portable electronics, I would assume, is owned by Apple, who debuted the iBook laptop in 1998 and released it in 1999. I think Apple may just be covering their bases.
  • Reply 8 of 171
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by CIM View Post

So it's going to be a rock?

This is exactly why I don't like this name. It suggests something primitive.
  • Reply 9 of 171
    nasseraenasserae Posts: 3,167member
    Please stop linking everything to the rumored tablet. We have been hearing about this tablet since before the iPhone and still nothing and it is getting silly and boring. Apple may or may not release a tablet and until they do it is not a really important.

"Apple believed to have bought a nuclear reactor indicating a possible use in the company's much-rumored tablet device."
  • Reply 10 of 171
    MarvinMarvin Posts: 15,322moderator
    I'm not keen on the name but Apple products tend to have names that let you know what the product is right away.

Aperture = something to do with a camera

Final Cut = film

iphoto = photo sorting

itunes = music

imovie = movie editor

Finder = file browser

spotlight = search

Qmaster = batch file queue

automator = programmable workflow to automate tasks

compressor = video encoding

front row = media center

expose = overview of current windows

Motion = motion graphics

iphone = a phone

ipod I guess isn't particularly descriptive but from hearing islate, you'd know right away what it was from the context. I personally prefer ipad. www.ipad.com looks like it's been privately registered too.

The Newton was called the MessagePad plus ipod, ipad, iphone, they all fit together:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Ap...and_iPhone.jpg
  • Reply 11 of 171
    iMagine?

/lol
  • Reply 12 of 171
    Come read articles about and discuss the apple tablet with others at www.appleislate.com
  • Reply 13 of 171
    RECORDS do not indicate that Apple owns iSlate.

RECORDS indicate that a domain holding company and an attorney that Apple sometimes work with owns the name iSlate.

If we're being accurate, and all.
  • Reply 14 of 171
    Apple also owns iDillweed.com.
  • Reply 15 of 171
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Mr Underhill View Post

Crap name for a gadget though.

Not found of the name but I think iPod is a dumb name, too. As a stock holder I want a good name as that does help sell a product, but ultimately I don?t care what they call it so long as it?s a useful product.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by revatman View Post

RECORDS do not indicate that Apple owns iSlate.

RECORDS indicate that a domain holding company and an attorney that Apple sometimes work with owns the name iSlate.

If we're being accurate, and all.

• Reply 16 of 171
    When I see the name iPad I get the mental picture of an Apple designed feminine hygiene product. Yech, maybe this comes form living in a house with 4 women but still not a name I would choose.
  • Reply 17 of 171
    teckstudteckstud Posts: 6,476member
    Fooking LAME-

I love my iPhone but hate the lame name. Innovation does not apply to Apple names i.e. The Magic Mouse. Puke
  • Reply 18 of 171
    teckstudteckstud Posts: 6,476member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bigdaddyp View Post

When I see the name iPad I get the mental picture of an Apple designed feminine hygiene product. Yech, maybe this comes form living in a house with 4 women but still not a name I would choose.

Are you talking Kotex? Just say it mate.
  • Reply 19 of 171
    It all makes perfect sense... better that apple's new kick arse product IS LATE, than never exists...
  • Reply 20 of 171
    I think it's a brilliant name. 'Slate' has so many rich, varied meanings related to the functionality of the tablet that is being rumored.

See http://thesaurus.reference.com/browse/slate

My only concern is that there is going to be a lawsuit from slate.com about name confusion, and that could slow things down. (I vaguely recall that iPhone was the object of a similar lawsuit?).