Quicktime controls

Posted:
in Mac Software edited January 2014
With the new Quicktime, the control bar on the bottom of the screen blocks part of the video. Why did apple make it so big and intrusive? Anyway to get it to drop to below the clip?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 15
    I think the only way is to let it time out and make sure you don't touch the mouse/trackpad. I agree it's ass.
  • Reply 2 of 15
    steve666steve666 Posts: 2,600member
    Its bizarre. Why would we want the controls to cover the clip? It should be under the active window. I wonder if anyone else has mentioned or complained to them about it?
  • Reply 3 of 15
    mr. hmr. h Posts: 4,870member
    Send your feedback to Apple. If enough people complain, maybe they'll listen and change it.

In the meantime, you can install QT7 and use that instead.
  • Reply 4 of 15
    It would seem that Apple is moving AWAY from using QTPlayer as a simple editing tool... Apparently they want us to fork over for FinalCut if we wish to splice or split or other simple editing. (Which QT7 does fantastically, if a little slow on the encoding side.)
  • Reply 5 of 15
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by KingOfSomewhereHot View Post

It would seem that Apple is moving AWAY from using QTPlayer as a simple editing tool... Apparently they want us to fork over for FinalCut if we wish to splice or split or other simple editing. (Which QT7 does fantastically, if a little slow on the encoding side.)

No, it's not that.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Mr. H in a different thread

(original: http://forums.appleinsider.com/showp...80&postcount=5)

Here's the deal:

The operating system that Apple had prior to OS X (now referred to as "Classic") lacked many of the important features of modern OSes, in particular pre-emptive multi-tasking and protected memory. Apple tried to add these to the OS in a long-running project that ultimately failed (Copland). When it was clear that Copland wasn't going to deliver, Apple started looking to buy in a new OS from elsewhere and ended up buying NeXT. However, they had a problem: NeXT had its own APIs, meaning software written for Classic, which had its own set of APIs, wouldn't run on NeXT. Trying to get software developers to "port" all their apps to NeXT's APIs when it wasn't clear if Apple would even be around all that much longer was a non-starter. What Apple did instead was identify which APIs from Classic could fit into a modern OS environment (finally the Copland project delivers something useful) and make them work with NeXT's OS. Software developers would then only have to "tweak" their apps to run on the new system, rather than do full-blown re-writes. The set of Classic APIs was dubbed "Carbon" and the NeXT APIs were dubbed "Cocoa".

In terms of QuickTime, it's important to appreciate that QuickTime is two things:

1.) QuickTime is a "technology" consisting of a huge range of multimedia related APIs. If an application on OS X does pretty much anything to do with pictures, movies or sound, it'll almost certainly be using QuickTime APIs.

2.) A "player" application. The player applications leverage the QuickTime APIs.

QuickTime was born on Classic and the QuickTime APIs in the beginning of OS X were all Carbon. Apple has slowly been "Cocoa-ising" the QuickTime APIs (the newer Cocoa flavoured QuickTime APIs sitting alongside the Carbon ones rather than replacing them), but the player app has always used the older Carbon ones.

With Snow Leopard, the set of "Cocoa" QuickTime APIs (which can now be referred to as QuickTime X APIs) for playback is complete enough to build a player app on top; this is QuickTime X. However, on the more complex editing side of things, the "Cocoa" QuickTime APIs aren't complete enough to enable a complete replacement of all the pro features of the QuickTime 7 Player Pro application.

The QuickTime X API set will continue to grow and become more advanced (a plugin architecture is the most obvious need) and eventually there will be a fully featured QuickTime X player that will enable us to do away with the QuickTime 7 player. We can be sure of this as the QuickTime X API's relative immaturity is what's preventing many of Apple's Pro apps (Final Cut etc.) from moving to Cocoa and becoming fully 64 bit (there's no 64 bit Carbon).

If you have some time to kill, I can highly recommend reading the series of Ars Technica OS X reviews for more info:

Mac OS X 10.0

Mac OS X 10.1

Mac OS X 10.2

Mac OS X 10.3

Mac OS X 10.4

Mac OS X 10.5

Mac OS X 10.6

• Reply 6 of 15
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Mr. H View Post

Send your feedback to Apple. If enough people complain, maybe they'll listen and change it.

In the meantime, you can install QT7 and use that instead.

I took your suggestion and just complained about it. I don't want to go backwards to 7 so I'll just deal with it for now.
  • Reply 7 of 15
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by steve666 View Post

... I don't want to go backwards to 7 so I'll just deal with it for now.

You can install have BOTH QTX and QT7 installed at the same time.

For playback, QTX is made for Snow Leopard and much "prettier". And you can still use QT7 if you wish to do any of the "QTPro" tasks that it allows (and QTX doesn't support.)

It's half-ass... QTX shouldn't have been released at all (except as "beta" software) until it was capable of replacing QT7, but it's a work-around.
  • Reply 8 of 15
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by KingOfSomewhereHot View Post

You can install have BOTH QTX and QT7 installed at the same time.

For playback, QTX is made for Snow Leopard and much "prettier". And you can still use QT7 if you wish to do any of the "QTPro" tasks that it allows (and QTX doesn't support.)

It's half-ass... QTX shouldn't have been released at all (except as "beta" software) until it was capable of replacing QT7, but it's a work-around.

Is QT7 completely compatible with Snow Leopard? If it is maybe I should download it and dump QTx until they make it more user friendly.

Incidentally apparently Flip4Mac is having issues with QTX and they recommend going back to QT7.

I also notice that there is no MPlayer for Snow Leopard. What do we do for AVI Files?
  • Reply 9 of 15
    Quote:

I also notice that there is no MPlayer for Snow Leopard. What do we do for AVI Files?

Perian or VLC
  • Reply 10 of 15
    Quote:

I also notice that there is no MPlayer for Snow Leopard.

Sure there is. MPlayer OSX Extended
  • Reply 11 of 15
    I'm sure it has been pointed out several times that the new QuickTime X controls likely are what they are to bring some harmonization across Apple platforms. Whether it's an advantage for QuickTime to behave similarly between OS X and the iPod touch/iPhone is anyone's opinion but Apple must feel there's some reason for it.
  • Reply 12 of 15
    Thanks guys, I am going to get either the Perian, VLC, or MPlayer extended. Any preferences?

As for Quicktime, I really hope Apple does away with that intrusive control bar-whatever reason they have for doing it, it's a bad idea IMO.

I won't install flip4mac until they get the bugs out for snow leopard.
  • Reply 13 of 15
    Quote:

Thanks guys, I am going to get either the Perian, VLC, or MPlayer extended. Any preferences?

They don't conflict with each other so you can install all three. Perian is useful as it's a QuickTime plugin so enables anything that uses QuickTime (e.g. iMovie, Final Cut etc.) to read a load of weird and wonderful codecs.

Personally, I use Perian and VLC.
  • Reply 14 of 15
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Mr. H View Post

They don't conflict with each other so you can install all three. Perian is useful as it's a QuickTime plugin so enables anything that uses QuickTime (e.g. iMovie, Final Cut etc.) to read a load of weird and wonderful codecs.

Personally, I use Perian and VLC.

Cool, I'm going to try them out
  • Reply 15 of 15
    MPlayer OSX Extended didn't work very well but Perian did and VLC is the best of all of them. I like it so much I am going to view clips with VLC instead of Quicktime. Video is clearer and there's no annoying control panel blocking the view.

Thanks for the tip!