Apple orders 10-inch tablet displays and robust glass panels

Posted:
in Future Apple Hardware edited January 2014
Apple has placed mass orders for 10-inch displays as well as strong glass panels and connectors to go with them, according to two separate reports out of the Far East that peg the components for the company's much-anticipated tablet device.

According to DigiTimes, Foxconn's panel-making subsidiary Innolux will serve as the primary supplier of 10-inch panels for the forthcoming multi-touch device while Wintek -- Apple's primary iPhone display panel purveyor -- will be tasked with filling many of the remaining orders.

Citing sources from the iPhone maker's component suppliers, the Taiwanese rumor site also reports that the Cupertino-based company has been "seeking solutions to strengthen the glass of the 10-inch panel for the" tablets, a move which contributed to delaying the device's launch until the first-quarter 2010.

Foxconn's optical glass processing subsidiary G-Tech Optoelectronics will reportedly provide this unidentified glass strengthening process, while Taiwan-based optical film maker Wah Hong Industrial has also been tapped to supply components that will aid in the effort.

Based on an analysis of the shipping schedules of Apple's upstream component suppliers, DigiTimes predicts that Apple could announce its new tablet device in January with volume shipments to follow by March.

Separately, Taiwan's "Economic Daily" newspaper also reported Monday that Cheng Uei Precision has received large orders for new flat-panel Tablet PC connector parts, but oddly suggests the company is unlikely to start delivering those parts to Apple until the third quarter of 2010.

Last Summer, AppleInsider was first to report that Apple would base its long-awaited tablet device around a 10-inch display and that the device was bound to turn up no earlier than the first quarter of 2010.

Media reports from last Wednesday claim Apple recently booked the Yerba Buena Center for the Arts in San Francisco for Tuesday Jan. 26 for an unknown event, suggesting an unveiling could be less than a month away.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 90
    pmzpmz Posts: 3,433member
    10 inches sounds very big for this device. I know this is the same rumor going around since at least 18 months ago, and its probably true at this point. I just think 10" is big. I'm typing on an 11.2 inch netbook and trying to imagine.
  • Reply 2 of 90
    Now its 10 inch...

I predict we are gona see reports of "evident" suggesting a 7 inch display tomorrow, and more "evident" for a 10 inch the day after...
  • Reply 3 of 90
    icyfogicyfog Posts: 338member
    Seven-inch is too small for two-handed typing and too big for thumb typing. A 10-inch form factor seems better for two-handed typing. I wonder which size it will be, or maybe both will be made.
  • Reply 4 of 90
    I was always told 7-inches is big enough.
  • Reply 5 of 90
    mazda 3smazda 3s Posts: 1,613member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Quadra 610 View Post

Reality: Women lie

That being said, you can NEVER... EVER trust anything from DigiTimes.
  • Reply 6 of 90
    tbelltbell Posts: 3,146member
    Apparently, it gets the job done, but isn't preferred.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Quadra 610 View Post

• Reply 7 of 90
    palegolaspalegolas Posts: 1,361member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by icyfog View Post

Seven-inch is too small for two-handed typing and too big for thumb typing. A 10-inch form factor seems better for two-handed typing. I wonder which size it will be, or maybe both will be made.

Thumb typing could still be possible when it's in portrait mode, for those who prefer it.

In landscape mode - full size two hand typing is probably the way to go. But the keyboard will cover half of the screen at that point.

We still don't know the aspect of the screen, do we? If they want a 10" device to slide into a jacket pocket, it has to be really wide screen... like that Vaio P series or something. But it's probably not gonna be pocket size. I'm guessing 3:2 aspect.
  • Reply 8 of 90
    galleygalley Posts: 971member
    FWIW, a Word document with standard margins measures 9.7" diagonally.
  • Reply 9 of 90
    A solution to strengthen the glass from shock, similar to adding re-bar to concrete pilings, would be the application of a film to the glass panel.

This would be a perfect opportunity to explore the glare and reflection reduction properties of various materials as well as their strengthening abilities.

I can't recall one incident where a original flat panel LCD screen (matte film applied at the factory) has ever shattered or cracked due to pressure or a slight drop.

Also I have already seen a 10" or so touch screen device from Asia nearly three years ago.

A guy had one and was testing a device while on vacation. It could get on the internet, had a SD slot, camera etc.

Quite a handy device and very desirable as it fits neatly into a inside jacket pocket, it was quite long.
  • Reply 10 of 90
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by pmz View Post

10 inches sounds very big for this device. I know this is the same rumor going around since at least 18 months ago, and its probably true at this point. I just think 10" is big. I'm typing on an 11.2 inch netbook and trying to imagine.

Ten inches is just about right to accommodate an almost-full-size keyboard. Turned vertical, it would contain a full-size page of typical nine-inch-tall book.
  • Reply 11 of 90
    desarcdesarc Posts: 642member
    does anyone know what native resolution of a 10" display from Foxconn/Innolux would be?
  • Reply 12 of 90
    teckstudteckstud Posts: 6,476member
    The iPane?

The iPain has returned.
  • Reply 13 of 90
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    10" Ireland? Well, what do ya know.

• Reply 14 of 90
    wigginwiggin Posts: 2,265member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Galley View Post

FWIW, a Word document with standard margins measures 9.7" diagonally.

You must be setting your margins wide in order to increase the page count of your reports!
  • Reply 15 of 90
    We need stronger glass -- good thinking Apple. Too many people drop and shatter their iPhones and iPod Touches. Anything to make the glass more resiliant to cracking, chipping and breaking is a plus!
  • Reply 16 of 90
    teckstudteckstud Posts: 6,476member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by adamw View Post

We need stronger glass -- good thinking Apple. Too many people drop and shatter their iPhones and iPod Touches. Anything to make the glass more resiliant to cracking, chipping and breaking is a plus!

People tend to drop them when light reflects off them and blind sides them. Hopefully these tablets will be matte or no sale.
  • Reply 17 of 90
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by adamw View Post

If you think the glass on this thing won't crack if you drop it you are living in denial. A far as I'm concerned this is an Apple leak designed for marketing purposes. Means literally nothing to me.
  • Reply 18 of 90
    wigginwiggin Posts: 2,265member
    If it was HDTV aspect ratio, it'd be about 4.9" x 8.7".

If it was iPhone aspect ratio, about 5.6" x 8.4".

These are not counting the frame around the display.

Not unreasonably big, but I think I'd still prefer something about halfway between the current touch and those dimensions, as a good compromise between size and portability.
  • Reply 19 of 90
    svnippsvnipp Posts: 430member
    Unfortunately, James Cameron has really set the bar for the tablet device. Anyone who has seen Avatar will know what I'm talking about. The tablet devices that the techs are using in that are WAY cool. This would be a really awesome kind of device. Looks something like a glass clipboard that is a computer/display. Now this would be a really awesome tablet, and something that I could actually see coming from Apple but I imagine that particular device is 20+ years off at this point.

Oh well, I'm anxious to see what Apple releases even though I can't imagine myself getting one.
  • Reply 20 of 90
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by icyfog View Post

Keyboard can be zoomed - shrunk - split - dragged wherever.