Former Google China president reveals details on Apple's tablet

Posted:
in Future Apple Hardware edited January 2014
The ex-president of Google China has revealed on his microblog supposed details on Apple's forthcoming tablet: 10.1-inch screen with webcam, "awesome UI."

Kaifu Lee, former president of Google China, someone with supposed close ties to Apple, has revealed several details about Apple's tablet on his microblog (translation from Gadget Mix):

"The Apple Tablet looks like a bigger iPhone that sports an awesome UI packed in a beautiful 10.1-inch screen. The tablet combines the functions of both netbook and kindle, an ebook reader. It has virtual keyboard for text entry and a webcam for video conferencing."

This falls in line with recently reported details on the tablet. Earlier in December analyst Yair Reiner of Oppenheimer predicted that the device would have a 10.1-inch multi-touch display using the same technology as the iPhone. He also stated that Apple has been reaching out to book publishers in order to strengthen the position of the tablet as an ebook platform.

AppleInsider reported earlier last week that Apple had plans for a virtual keyboard with a dynamic surface that would give users tactile feedback when typing in order to identify individual keys. Supporting the idea of a "bigger iPhone," iPhone developers were reportedly asked to prepare their apps for a demo next month by making them support full-screen resolutions rather than the fixed 320x480 resolutions of the iPhone and iPod touch.

All signs point to Apple holding an event focusing on the "mobility space" on January 26 at Yerba Buena Center in San Francisco, where it is believed that the company will finally unveil the tablet to the world.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 226
    And we can all rely on a long-lasting, integrated battery, thanks to their R&D in that department. Really going to blow the competition out of the water!
  • Reply 2 of 226
    Well, well, well.

So the beans are spilled.

Webcam is good, virtual keyboard?

Like the virtual keyboard on the iPhone?

Or something else? If it gives feedback, it's real, not virtual. Or what the screen taps or something, like making clicky clack sounds when one types?

Perhaps this time the iPhone apps will be allowed on OS X. But somehow I don't think so, Apple looks like it's slowly introducing a new UI on us, one that will replace OS X UI as we know it.

Will we be able to use other browsers? Ad block software? Privacy and security software? Third party apps? Or be stuck forever in what the App Store approves?

The iSlate will cannibalize MacBook sales, that's a given, probably not much MacBook Pro sales.

The threat from Linux, VM software, the cloners and common Intel/like processors, Apple is headed for closed UI machines, mark my words. The App Store is proof of it.

I would like to add this from a article:

Quote:

The success of the smartphone has shown that consumers are ready for Internet-enabled devices smaller than laptops. By the end of 2010, IDC predicts there will be more than 1 billion mobile devices on the Internet, compared to 1.3 billion online PCs. With sales of mobile devices growing much faster than laptops, the former are expected to eventually surpass PCs.

http://www.informationweek.com/news/...leID=222100232
  • Reply 3 of 226
    Remember how good the Apps looked projected on the big screen at the keynotes.... so at 10", they'll be great.
  • Reply 4 of 226
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    The device does seem to run Mac OS X, which Ireland really wanted, but he’s been claiming a 10.1” tablet for such a long time and has had pretty really nice mockups (sans the Mac OS X UI) that I think he deserves some accolades if his longtime vision is even half right.
  • Reply 5 of 226
    A webcam. Hmm. A webcam works really well with a laptop because the screen is roughly perpendicular to the keyboard. With a tablet, there's an obvious difference. I don't think holding the tablet up in your hand is an elegant solution. This appears to be an opportunity for Apple to create an innovative stand for the tablet. Something that will allow for ichat functionality and at the same time not topple over or slide across a park bench when objects on the screen are manually manipulated (touched).
  • Reply 6 of 226
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by MacTripper View Post

Or something else? If it gives feedback, it's real, not virtual. Or what the screen taps or something, like making clicky clack sounds when one types?

Perhaps this time the iPhone apps will be allowed on OS X. But somehow I don't think so, Apple is slowly introducing a new UI on us, one that will replace OS X UI as we know it.

The iSlate will cannibalize MacBook sales, probably not much MacBook Pro sales.

1) I wouldn?t exactly say this is beans being spilled but the weight has definitely shifted to there being a tablet in the near future.

2) I will be severally disappointed if the virtual keyboard looks and works like the iPhone OS keyboard. It?s just not practical for a large keyboard taking up a 1/3 of the screen when your hand positions typically don?t warrant it and there a several more placement combinations with a tablet over a pocketable device with a 3.5? display.

3) I hope iPhone OS X apps are allowed. I think this will help sell this device which is be design already niche when you look at the current tablet market.

4) I don?t it will cannibalize much Mac sales. I think it?s designed as an accompaniment for your PC, not a replacement. I expect a file system like Finder, but that it will also be synced via iTunes.
  • Reply 7 of 226
    aplnubaplnub Posts: 2,605member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Brometheus View Post

A webcam. Hmm. A webcam works really well with a laptop because the screen is roughly perpendicular to the keyboard. With a tablet, there's an obvious difference. I don't think holding the tablet up in your hand is an elegant solution. This appears to be an opportunity for Apple to create an innovative stand for the tablet. Something that will allow for ichat functionality and at the same time not topple over or slide across a park bench when objects on the screen are manually manipulated (touched).

Maybe the web cam tilts inside the case.
  • Reply 8 of 226
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by aplnub View Post

I’m invoking Occam’s Razor. I’ve used my Mac’s camera and had to adjust my head and/or the display to center the image. I figure this mostly novel feature will simply require the user to adjust the device accordingly.
  • Reply 9 of 226
    Quote:

The iSlate will cannibalize MacBook sales, that's a given, probably not much MacBook Pro sales.

It wont. You'll still need a Mac to sync it with.
  • Reply 10 of 226
    Huh? I don't get it. Who is the market audience for this device? My MacBook and MacBook Pro and iPhone do everything that I need... why would I want a tablet?
  • Reply 11 of 226
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by aplnub View Post

That would be interesting, but I'm having some difficulty imagining that in a thin case. So much to think about with every new rumor tidbit...
  • Reply 12 of 226
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by scotty321 View Post

Huh? I don't get it. Who is the market audience for this device? My MacBook and MacBook Pro and iPhone do everything that I need... why would I want a tablet?

We?ll have to find out. Sometimes what we want/need is clear and the market gets flooded quickly. Other times what we want/need isn?t realized until something demonstrates what we could have and a paradigm shift occurs rapidly. I think the iPhone falls into that category. Smartphones existed before the iPhone just as tablets have existed for many years. I seem to recall hearing, perhaps even these forums of people having essentially the same reservations about the iPhone. They never thought that using the internet and other apps on such a small display could work for them.
  • Reply 13 of 226
    Quote:

This appears to be an opportunity for Apple to create an innovative stand for the tablet.

And you're supposed to type on a virtual keyboard while it's vertical on a stand?

A device like this screams out for a swivel and fold physical keyboard that can act as it's own stand.
  • Reply 14 of 226
    I wish those Chinese businessmen would learn to SHUT THE HELL UP! You all think Jobs can be an egotistical control freak sometimes? If I was running Apple I would hire some mercs to fly to china to beat that guy up!
  • Reply 16 of 226
    Quote:

Well, well, well.

Perhaps this time the iPhone apps will be allowed on OS X. But somehow I don't think so, Apple looks like it's slowly introducing a new UI on us, one that will replace OS X UI as we know it.

Will we be able to use other browsers? Ad block software? Privacy and security software? Third party apps? Or be stuck forever in what the App Store approves?

The threat from Linux, VM software, the cloners and common Intel/like processors, Apple is headed for closed UI machines, mark my words. The App Store is proof of it.

The beans are spilled? The features mentioned isn't anything that hasn't already been predicted, and talked and debated about over and over and over again for the last several months.

Still though, Steve Jobs has GOT to get very angry when loud mouths like that Lee guy go gabbing like there is no tomorrow.
  • Reply 17 of 226
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Chris_CA View Post

Back-Side Interface for Hand-Held Devices

Multiple manufacturers are exploring this type of control scheme. It's where the actual back side of a unit's casing can be used as a control mechanism.

I for one would like to see Apple use some sort of auxiliary control scheme (besides multitouch) on the iPhone and other handhelds.

I won't take the iphone seriously as a platform for games (serious games) until they do.
  • Reply 18 of 226
    Quote:

Also you would need a stand when watching teh 720p videos on it.
  • Reply 19 of 226
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by scotty321 View Post

You will find out the answer to your question on Jan. 26th. Steve will explain it all to you then.

In the meantime, get your wallet ready.
  • Reply 20 of 226
    ifailifail Posts: 463member
    so i guess this is coming with a stand right? At 10.1 inches that doesnt exactly make it 2 hand friendly and if you have to peck at it with 1 hand...f that.

I am doubting this as a Kindle killer, but this is a good answer to the netbooks if priced appropriately and runs a full version of OSX (or slightly modified for touchscreen input)