Third Nokia lawsuit accuses Apple of multiple patent violations

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
Nokia has filed a another lawsuit against Apple, with a new federal complaint that alleges the Cupertino, Calif., company has infringed on several "implementation patents," the same cited in an ITC suit filed last week.

Filed in a federal court in Delaware, the complaint alleges that a number of Apple's products have violated patents owned by Nokia. Specifically named in the suit are the iPhone 3G, iPhone 3GS, iPod touch, iPod nano, iPod classic, iMac, Mac Pro, Mac mini, MacBook, MacBook Pro and MacBook Air.

Patents owned by Nokia named in the suit are "VCO with Programmable Output Power," issued in 2004; "Mobile Communication Device and Related Construction Method," issued in 2004; "Optimized Camera Sensor Architecture for a Mobile Telephone," granted in 2005; "Communications Device with Touch Sensitive Screen," from 2003; "Mobile Station with Touch Input Having Automatic Symbol Magnification Function," issued in 2000; "Utilizing the Contents of a Message," granted in 2001; and "User Interface Device," from 2005.

The complaint filed last week is the third from Nokia against Apple. Also last week, a lawsuit was filed with the U.S. International Trade Commission in which it has asked that imports of Apple products -- including the iPhone, iPods, and MacBooks -- be banned.

The ITC complaint accuses Apple of treading on seven distinct patents applying to user interface, camera, antenna and power management. The ITC suit covers the same patents included in the Delaware federal suit.

In October, Nokia first sued Apple over the use of patented wireless standards. The lawsuit alleged that Apple infringes on GSM and wireless LAN related patents owned by Nokia with the iPhone.

In December, Apple countersued Nokia, alleging that the Finnish company infringed on 13 patents. Apple also accused Nokia of attempting to obtain more money from it than other companies, plus rights to Apple's intellectual property.

As Nokia has lost market share to competitors Apple and Research in Motion, the market leader has fought back and hopes to maintain its position atop the cell phone business. This week, Rick Simonson, Nokia's executive vice president, spoke with India's The Economic Times and said his company hopes to be "at par" with Apple and RIM in smartphone sales by 2011.

"Not only we draw level with them," he said, "we will also win the war because, in addition to email, we will be adding content, chat, music, entertainment and several other features, which will soon become very critical for success of any company in this space."

Comments

• Reply 1 of 85
    quadra 610quadra 610 Posts: 6,757member
    *yawn*

How about making a phone people actually want, Nokia?
  • Reply 2 of 85
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by quadra 610 View Post

*yawn*

how about making a phone people actually want, nokia?

exactly!!!!
  • Reply 3 of 85
    quadra 610quadra 610 Posts: 6,757member

This week, Rick Simonson, Nokia's executive vice president, spoke with India's The Economic Times and said his company hopes to be "at par" with Apple and RIM in smartphone sales by 2011.

"Not only we draw level with them," he said, "we will also win the war because, in addition to email, we will be adding content, chat, music, entertainment and several other features, which will soon become very critical for success of any company in this space."

Nokia's strategy:

• Reply 4 of 85
    mj webmj web Posts: 918member
    NOKIA: It's my ball and the game is over!

APPLE: It's my playing field. Screw you and your ball!
  • Reply 5 of 85
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Quadra 610 View Post

This week, Rick Simonson, Nokia's executive vice president, spoke with India's The Economic Times and said his company hopes to be "at par" with Apple and RIM in smartphone sales by 2011.

Nokia's strategy:

• Reply 6 of 85
    Another bunch of frivolous lawsuits that try to decrease Apple PR and win some lunch change.
  • Reply 7 of 85
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

As Nokia has lost market share to competitors Apple and Research in Motion, the market leader has fought back and hopes to maintain its position atop the cell phone business. This week, Rick Simonson, Nokia's executive vice president, spoke with India's The Economic Times and said his company hopes to be "at par" with Apple and RIM in smartphone sales by 2011.

This is really laughable because it seems like they think they're doing something over the top, and beyond the other cell phone manufacturers because they aren't just doing calls and email.

I'm not sure what they're thinking, but it seems they've completely missed what the iPhone and all other act-a-likes are: not a phone with extended abilities, but a mini-computer with phone capabilities. Everyone else has been doing the "more" thing now for over a year. While I really like their N97 (it has about everything everyone yelled the iPhone didn't have), the interface and web browser, not to mention app lack just makes me want to hackintosh it and have a really cool iPhone competitor.

They just kind of seem to have missed the whole ball of wax.
  • Reply 8 of 85
    charlitunacharlituna Posts: 7,217member
    i wonder if this doubling up is due to Nokia finding out that since Apple is a US based company the ITC isn't as likely to ban shipments from a foreign supplier to the company (thus making them available for sale in the US).

or maybe their case is so thin they want to try a Psystar and hope they get different opinions from different folks. which will then raise the question, who has the higher power, the courts or the ITC. could a court win by Apple override a win with the ITC by Nokia.
  • Reply 9 of 85
    paxmanpaxman Posts: 4,729member
    Quote:

Really? That's awesome. I think I'll drop my iPhone and jump ship. This guy's a visionary. One smart smartypants.
  • Reply 10 of 85
    if I can just patent on a cocktail napkin, a crudely drawn perpetual motion machine and never actually build one and one day in the future when someone does say....You infringed on my perpetual motion machine patent...

might as well be a "Mobile Communication Device and Related Construction Method"

or "Mobile Station with Touch Input Having Automatic Symbol Magnification Function"

if you just going to construe a series of words together that imply a future technology that has yet to be constructed other than in a form of a cocktail napkin, then I am patenting my

"Magnetic elevating transportation vehicle with cruise-control" (cause you gotta have it) or

"nuclear-powered back scratcher with alarm-clock interface set to (heh) atomic time"
  • Reply 11 of 85
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by paxman View Post

Really? That's awesome. I think I'll drop my iPhone and jump ship. This guy's a visionary. One smart smartypants.

he wants the nokia to be an iphone too....
  • Reply 12 of 85
    mstonemstone Posts: 11,510member
    Quote:

Wow, who could imagine all that on a phone? Curious what the several other features referred to are - probably top secret.
  • Reply 13 of 85
    I think the Nokia CEO must have a reminder configured on his desktop. It's Monday, time to throw another lawsuit at Apple. Soon or later, something must stick.
  • Reply 14 of 85
    aaarrrggghaaarrrgggh Posts: 1,609member
    Nokia isn't known for frivelous lawsuits, so I am starting to get curious. Does anybody know the breakdown of where the money goes for the $50 in IP licenses per iPhone sold?

Also, how can Nokia single out Apple-- they can't be cross-licensing with RIM (push messaging would be a clear win for Nokia), and it is hard to believe Palm and Motorola could produce phones with the same ASP, similar margins, and be paying more in royalties.
  • Reply 15 of 85
    mark2005mark2005 Posts: 1,158member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mstone View Post

Wow, who could imagine all that on a phone? Curious what the several other features referred to are - probably top secret.

Those other features will be whatever Apple introduces in iPhone OS 4.0.

More seriously, they are "top secret" as the things he mentions outright are things that are already on most phones. One of these other features is very likely a more integrated location-based awareness (LBA) across all aspects of the phone - after all, Nokia bought Navteq (which may or may not have led to Google dropping Navteq data for its own data in its maps). And LBA is what I fully expect Apple to have well-integrated in the rumored tablet, the next iPhone OS, and to a lesser degree, in Mac OS. And I expect the same from Google in Android.
  • Reply 16 of 85
    Apple has what, 25 billion in cash on hand?

Nokia has a market cap of what, 45 billion?

Looks like the situation can resolve itself with a purchase of some stock.
  • Reply 17 of 85
    foobarfoobar Posts: 107member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Rhetoric.assassin View Post

if you just going to construe a series of words together that imply a future technology that has yet to be constructed other than in a form of a cocktail napkin, then I am patenting my

You realize a patent is significantly longer than its title...?
  • Reply 18 of 85
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Rhetoric.assassin View Post

if I can just patent on a cocktail napkin, a crudely drawn perpetual motion machine and never actually build one and one day in the future when someone does say....You infringed on my perpetual motion machine patent...

A perpetual motion machine is one of the few things you can not patent...
  • Reply 19 of 85
    swiftswift Posts: 436member
    with a drunk Finn. They're crazy!
  • Reply 20 of 85
    isaidsoisaidso Posts: 750member
    Hey, remember all those dark, hidden, powerful "unnamed" forces that were allegedly propping-up behind the whole Psystar lawsuits against Apple thing?

Looks like now that the Psystar thing has gone down the tubes, they have come up with a new tact.