iPhone 3GS or the Nexus One?

Posted:
in iPhone edited January 2014
So let's say I'm looking to buy a smartphone. Never had one before but I've been reading up on the different phones coming out.

What are the pros and cons for each device?

Is there a "it depends on what you want to do with the phone" question?

Some people are the "I despise Apple so I'm going to get the Nexus and laugh in your face at how much better it is than the stupid iPhone" type. I don't want to hear that junk because I like Apple products.

Of course, these days, PRICE, is a big factor. What are you getting for for your money? And what are you realistically paying for over the life-cycle?

Sigh, what to do?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 9
    bbwibbwi Posts: 812member
    Dude, these types of reviews and direct comparisons are all over the internet. Google is your friend
  • Reply 2 of 9
    aizmovaizmov Posts: 989member
    I'd get the iPhone 3GS

If I were to consider an Android phone, I'd get the Droid over the Nexus One.
  • Reply 3 of 9
    ivan.rnn01ivan.rnn01 Posts: 1,822member
    Frankly I'd get Nexus One. Not because of some virtual superiority of that product, but just to chance to lay hands on it. 3GS is gonna be replaced with 4th generation of the phone in 6 months. No point to contract with carrier for 1-2 years more.
  • Reply 4 of 9
    ivan.rnn01ivan.rnn01 Posts: 1,822member
    Ummm.... Google seems the first who have caught the things about the moment of launch right.

Ummm, talented guys.
  • Reply 5 of 9
    Biggest differences are the App Store and the multi-touch interface.

Nexus has neither one yet (well, there IS an Android app "store"... just not on par with Apple's... yet.)
  • Reply 6 of 9
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by KingOfSomewhereHot View Post

Biggest differences are the App Store and the multi-touch interface.

Nexus has neither one yet (well, there IS an Android app "store"... just not on par with Apple's... yet.)

The smaller Android app-store is a blessing in disguise as it means you have to wade through fewer lists of crap to find anything useful or entertaining. Having the largest amount of apps means you simply have the most lucrative store, which entices both the good and bad developers. A succint list of quality apps is better than pages and pages of crud.
  • Reply 7 of 9
    But having the huge store increases the odds that you'll be able to find some odd little App that is only incredibly useful to a very small number of users.

I'd rather wade through a bunch of crap and find the tool that I need than just not have the tool available.
  • Reply 8 of 9
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by KingOfSomewhereHot View Post

But having the huge store increases the odds that you'll be able to find some odd little App that is only incredibly useful to a very small number of users.

I'd rather wade through a bunch of crap and find the tool that I need than just not have the tool available.

A more limited store that lacks that app, and has less crud, is going to benefit a larger number of users than those who benefit from the vast store filled with rubbish, but has that one app. And isn't that Apple's policy afterall - to make a product that benefits and appeals to the largest number of people rather than focussing on a niche market?
  • Reply 9 of 9
    I think Apple is pretty happy with the App Store.

Apple only provides the "store"... which appeals to a huge audience. It's up to developers to decide whether their individual Apps will target a large or small audience.

While I have no idea what goes on in The Steve's head... I'd think having tons of apps would please him... meaning HIS product (the iPhone/iPod) is just that much more appealing to consumers as a whole.

Personally, I don't sit and browse through the App library... I use the search function to see if there is an App for the particular function I desire... so I never actually see the "thousands" of other things... only a handful that I targeted... easy to weed out the crap from that smaller selection.

But yes... there is a ton of crap in there, and I can see how people would avoid just browsing throung the library to see what's there... it's either too overwhelming, or too difficult to cull the good apps from all the crap.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by mrochester View Post

... but has that one app. ... rather than focussing on a niche market?

I kinda think the App store is ALL about niche markets... but lots of different niche markets.

On my phone, I keep a few games that could be seen as "large market" Apps. But most of what I use regularly are those "niche market" apps. Stuff like a logbook that's only needed by a few thousand people worldwide, gas mixing app, individual banking Apps (tied to a specific bank). By themselves they represent an insignificant audience... but with several "brands" of each of them in the App Store (with no effort on Apple's part) it just makes the App store more appealing to a larger audience.