Boygenius critique of Android

Posted:
in iPhone edited January 2014
Google Android Personal Thoughts

"How do I copy text from non-editable field like an email, webpage, or SMS, or even a 3rd party application? Oh, I can’t. Say what you want about the iPhone not having copy and paste for two years — a joke — it’s the single best implementation on the planet for a smartphone and Google’s approach is almost as bad as RIM’s with the Storm-series."

As much criticism as the iPhone got for copy/paste. Its implementation was so well thought out that it enables app like pastebot which is not currently possible on any other mobile platform.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 8
    Apple went from being the laughing stock having no copy and paste, to having one of the best methods available. Of course, everyone had to do without it for the first 2 years, and Apple made way too big a deal about it when they did eventually introduce it. A little bit of quiet modesty wouldn't go amiss - especially as you'd been the laughing stock for not having it to begin with!
  • Reply 2 of 8
    tenobelltenobell Posts: 7,014member
    Laughing stock is a bit strong. Its not like copy/paste is needed to make a phone call. I doubt most people even use copy/paste on their phones. The lack of copy/paste was ammunition for iPhone detractors.

I think the point you miss is that its better to go from no copy/paste to the best implementation of copy/paste than to be stuck with a crappy and unusable implementation of copy/paste.
  • Reply 3 of 8
    piotpiot Posts: 1,346member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mrochester View Post

Of course, everyone had to do without it for the first 2 years, and Apple made way too big a deal about it when they did eventually introduce it. A little bit of quiet modesty wouldn't go amiss - especially as you'd been the laughing stock for not having it to begin with!

Apple announced copy/paste as a new feature of iPhone OS 3.0. No gloating. No song and dance. No modesty needed.

I didn't see Microsoft or Nokia or Motorola etc "laughing" at the absence of this feature... while iPhone ate into their market share.

I always find that, when trolling, it always helps to practice a little bit of revisionist history.
  • Reply 4 of 8
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by TenoBell View Post

Laughing stock is a bit strong. Its not like copy/paste is needed to make a phone call. I doubt most people even use copy/paste on their phones. The lack of copy/paste was ammunition for iPhone detractors.

I think the point you miss is that its better to go from no copy/paste to the best implementation of copy/paste than to be stuck with a crappy and unusable implementation of copy/paste.

I think the point you've missed is that whether you've gone from no copy and paste to good copy and paste, or mediocre copy and paste from the word go, is entirely subjective, and not a fact. What good was an iPhone for someone who wanted to copy and paste anytime between June 07 and June 09? None whatsoever! In that respect, it would be much better to have a phone that has always copied and pasted, regardless of how good/bad its implementation is/was.
  • Reply 5 of 8
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by piot View Post

Apple announced copy/paste as a new feature of iPhone OS 3.0. No gloating. No song and dance. No modesty needed.

I didn't see Microsoft or Nokia or Motorola etc "laughing" at the absence of this feature... while iPhone ate into their market share.

I always find that, when trolling, it always helps to practice a little bit of revisionist history.

IIRC, they actually had a whole TV advert dedicated to demonstrating copy and paste. If that aint blowing your trumpet about a new feature of your product, I don't know what is! Modesty would be saying, 'as per customer requests over the last 2 years, we've implemented copy and paste', and leaving it at that. No need to make a big deal out of it - show us something else that is truly new and unique about your product, not something we've seen done years before.
  • Reply 6 of 8
    Can you give an example of a phone that has gone from mediocre copy/paste to great copy/paste? You don't really think you are taking the importance of copy/paste out of its proper context.

No one has ever stood in line for copy/paste.

Quote:

I think the point you've missed is that whether you've gone from no copy and paste to good copy and paste, or mediocre copy and paste from the word go, is entirely subjective, and not a fact. What good was an iPhone for someone who wanted to copy and paste anytime between June 07 and June 09? None whatsoever! In that respect, it would be much better to have a phone that has always copied and pasted, regardless of how good/bad its implementation is/was.

• Reply 7 of 8
    The way the iPhone implements copy/paste is new and unique in regards to other phones. Now you argue that they cannot advertise the feature? Come on now.

Quote:

IIRC, they actually had a whole TV advert dedicated to demonstrating copy and paste. If that aint blowing your trumpet about a new feature of your product, I don't know what is! Modesty would be saying, 'as per customer requests over the last 2 years, we've implemented copy and paste', and leaving it at that. No need to make a big deal out of it - show us something else that is truly new and unique about your product, not something we've seen done years before.

• Reply 8 of 8
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by TenoBell View Post

Can you give an example of a phone that has gone from mediocre copy/paste to great copy/paste? You don't really think you are taking the importance of copy/paste out of its proper context.

No one has ever stood in line for copy/paste.

You're right, no one has ever queued for copy and paste, and I doubt any of those people are queuing for that.

Quote:

The way the iPhone implements copy/paste is new and unique in regards to other phones. Now you argue that they cannot advertise the feature? Come on now.

I think it's bad taste to make a big song and dance over a feature you've taken years to implement. Like I said, make a big song and dance over what is new and revolutionary, not what you're playing catch up on.