AppleTV - Movies that were rentable now buy only

Posted:
in iPod + iTunes + AppleTV edited January 2014
I'm not sure if this just affects Canada or the U.S. as well, but tons of movies on my AppleTV wish list that were available for rent have become buy only.

I'm not sure what's going on. Is this a Canadian thing, or are the people running the movie industry turning into even bigger jerks than before? Maybe this has something to do with the Comcast-NBC merger, with cable companies leaning on the movie industry to cut down internet rentals.

Anybody have any idea what's going on?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 2
    MarvinMarvin Posts: 15,326moderator
    I've noticed a distinct lack of movie rentals in the store. It must be some greedy film studios enforcing it because there's no other reason why they wouldn't allow every film to be rented when competing with postal DVD/Blu-Ray services that have no restrictions on which ones you can and can't rent. These type of things really annoy me in the store as well as the "sorry this item is not available for purchase in your country" message.

Apple need to work on the movie selection, international availability and allowing every movie without exception to be rented. If they can also setup streaming while downloading in itunes and on the iphone, the service would be pretty good. I rented a 2.5 hour film recently and it took 2 hours to download. Would have made sense to be able to watch it while it downloaded.
  • Reply 2 of 2
    idunnoidunno Posts: 645member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Marvin View Post

I've noticed a distinct lack of movie rentals in the store. It must be some greedy film studios enforcing it because there's no other reason why they wouldn't allow every film to be rented when competing with postal DVD/Blu-Ray services that have no restrictions on which ones you can and can't rent. These type of things really annoy me in the store as well as the "sorry this item is not available for purchase in your country" message.

Apple need to work on the movie selection, international availability and allowing every movie without exception to be rented. If they can also setup streaming while downloading in itunes and on the iphone, the service would be pretty good. I rented a 2.5 hour film recently and it took 2 hours to download. Would have made sense to be able to watch it while it downloaded.

That is why I now buy US iTunes gift cards on line and use them to shop the US store from Australia. IN Oz we can't buy HD movies and we don't get iTunes extras. But now I can using the gift cards.