Apple corners market on 10.1-inch LCD, OLED screens - report

124»

Comments

• Reply 61 of 77
    If I were Jobs, I'd call a presser for Jan. 27, gather assorted folks together and NOT unveil the iSlate, or whatever it's going to be called.

It would serve to embarrass the heck out of all those engaged in absurd rumour hunting. Then, some time in March, not hold any event, just issue a press release and start selling the new tablet via the Apple Store. Such a move would generate a ton of buzz on account of everybody would be talking about how Apple surprised by not making a big deal out of a product that is being anticipated like no other before it.

If this alleged product created a buzz at CES without Apple even officially announcing a media event to unveil it, Apple has it made. No effort to promote this thing is required and no effort expended would, in itself, cause quite a stir.
  • Reply 62 of 77
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AjitMD View Post

If Apple did indeed order a lot of LCD 10.1 in displays. production would have shifted to this size minimizing shortages. They are very efficient about this kind of thing. At this stage OLED displays do not make sense for the mass market. Price is too hi, and I am not sure the advantages are compelling.

We need an affordable tablet. Not nice product with hi price.

No, we need a nice product. The price will eventually come down enough to make it affordable.

If you want an affordable tablet now, you have many choices running Windows. You have to reason to wait for a nice product.
  • Reply 63 of 77
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by macmondo View Post

I thought display panels were produced in big size and they cut it in smaller pieces. So, if there's shortage about a type of display it doesn't necessarily say, for me, the size.

It can be due to orders of panels in smaller size by Apple (or whoever).

Am I wrong?

No. You are right. But Apple pre-ordered all the scissors too.
  • Reply 64 of 77
    motleemotlee Posts: 122member
    Engadget is reporting that they saw plenty of 10.1" multitouch LED devices at CES and not one of those manufacturers were complaining that they were in short demand.

They also stated the larger OLED devices were ridiculously expensive.
  • Reply 65 of 77
    Could they possibly be running both in the same device? Is there a way to overlay one on the other so that you can have the OLED for e-reader tasks and LCD for video or some such?

I do not have enough grasp of the tech to know if this is a batshizzle stupid question, so please take that into consideration.
  • Reply 66 of 77
    iqatedoiqatedo Posts: 1,823member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by nondual View Post

Could they possibly be running both in the same device? Is there a way to overlay one on the other so that you can have the OLED for e-reader tasks and LCD for video or some such?

I do not have enough grasp of the tech to know if this is a batshizzle stupid question, so please take that into consideration.

Translucent OLEDs exist, imagine the cost of using both!

http://www.engadget.com/2010/01/07/s...-laptop-video/
  • Reply 67 of 77
    brucepbrucep Posts: 2,823member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Crowley View Post

Something smells fishy. Why would Apple corner the market on both LCD and OLED screens in the same form factor? This story sounds like it's been inflated, Apple should have no reason to do that.

a double screen MA sheen

oled on front6 and LSD on back
  • Reply 68 of 77
    brucepbrucep Posts: 2,823member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Carmissimo View Post

If I were Jobs, I'd call a presser for Jan. 27, gather assorted folks together and NOT unveil the iSlate, or whatever it's going to be called.

It would serve to embarrass the heck out of all those engaged in absurd rumour hunting. Then, some time in March, not hold any event, just issue a press release and start selling the new tablet via the Apple Store. Such a move would generate a ton of buzz on account of everybody would be talking about how Apple surprised by not making a big deal out of a product that is being anticipated like no other before it.

If this alleged product created a buzz at CES without Apple even officially announcing a media event to unveil it, Apple has it made. No effort to promote this thing is required and no effort expended would, in itself, cause quite a stir.

we have no shame dude
  • Reply 69 of 77
    phongphong Posts: 219member
    OLED is the only thing I'm hearing about this product that I like. Although I didn't actually spend $2,500 on a Sony XEL-1, I did buy one nonetheless and have enjoyed every minute. It really changed the way I look at a screen. I can't go to Best Buy and look at the huge 1080p plasmas without thinking, "man it just doesn't look as good as my little XEL-1."

Changes the game completely. Say you're playing a game of Space Invaders. The aliens don't actually look like they're on the same screen. Instead they look like independent light sources, the way two separate fireflies look on a calm summer evening, because they actually are independent sources on an OLED display.

Once you go OLED you can't go back.

I don't know why they're wasting their time and money putting this in a glorified picture frame. Just give me an OLED iPhone.
  • Reply 70 of 77
    charlitunacharlituna Posts: 7,217member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ivan.rnn01 View Post

So, it doesn't necessarily mean Apple is gonna create something on the base of 10,1" screen. This does mean the competition won't be on time.

could have told you that. Most companies announce way before anything is ready to hit the market, which is why they can't tell you date and price

Apple rarely to never does this. they know the date and the price when they speak up. which is actually great cause the rumors are crazy enough, the real suspense of 'when can i have it' would kill some folks around here

\\

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Booga View Post

Apple doesn't do inexpensive. If they can't generate sales through value-add, they don't bother with the products-- they're not going to introduce a new product whose sales drive is the price.

selling it for $200 is cheap. selling it for $899 not cheap. not super pricey either when you consider all the various functions it would have just based on 'big size ipod touch'.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Gazoobee View Post

Especially du to the price, if Apple is using OLED at all, it can only be for a "pro" level variation of the tablet, and I just don't believe that.

i could see them taking a page from their laptops and such. one version is in the stores, the other is custom ordered (with a higher price due to the fancier screen)

Quote:
    Originally Posted by cmirabile View Post

Here is my theory on this: (1) one version with an LCD, no 3G and no subsidy, but lifetime wi-fi, with a price point cheap enough for the masses due to screen and decent enough battery life due to no cellular radio and despite LCD, and (2) one with OLED, 3G subsidy to make it cheaper (VZN of course),

1. why not just make the 3g optional and then folks can activate it if and when they want.

2. it wouldn't be Verizon "of course" given that Apple is under an ATT contract and is using GSM in their current devices. more like ATT of course. with perhaps the good fortune of having CDMA added into the mix and perhaps unlocked on both

Quote:
    Originally Posted by seek3r View Post

doesnt have to be one device.... netbook *and* an islate?

if the islate is basically a giant touch/phone it is a netbook just as they are. because a netbook is a device designed for being on the internet. as in email, web browsing etc.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Carmissimo View Post

Then, some time in March, not hold any event, just issue a press release and start selling the new tablet via the Apple Store.

Jobs enjoys his demos way too much to pull a move like that.

plus they need that appearance so that no one pulls anymore 'he's dying,he's hiding in a hospital' stuff and drops the stock value.
  • Reply 71 of 77
    addaboxaddabox Posts: 12,665member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Phong View Post

OLED is the only thing I'm hearing about this product that I like. Although I didn't actually spend $2,500 on a Sony XEL-1, I did buy one nonetheless and have enjoyed every minute. It really changed the way I look at a screen. I can't go to Best Buy and look at the huge 1080p plasmas without thinking, "man it just doesn't look as good as my little XEL-1."

Changes the game completely. Say you're playing a game of Space Invaders. The aliens don't actually look like they're on the same screen. Instead they look like independent light sources, the way two separate fireflies look on a calm summer evening, because they actually are independent sources on an OLED display.

Once you go OLED you can't go back.

I don't know why they're wasting their time and money putting this in a glorified picture frame. Just give me an OLED iPhone.

Do bear in mind that everything you're "hearing" about this product is pretty much bald speculation, rumor, wishful thinking or nonsense.

Not that some of it won't inevitably won't be true, since a 6"/9"10" led/oled touchscreen with camera/2 cameras/no camera that costs $500/$800/$1000 and runs full OS X/iPhone OS/hybrid OS which will require/won't need/will leave optional a cell contract while leveraging the power of Snapdragon/Arm/custom in-house SOC to maximize the run time on its sealed/replaceable battery is a pretty fat target.

And that's before we get to esoteric configurations of multiple screens, magic keyboards and tech from the distant future. So, you know, many, many grains of salt.
  • Reply 72 of 77
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    If you're feeling reflective check out my initial, quite brief iPhone 2G review from 2 years ago, Jan 2008. I went to the trouble to highlight a couple of words there. It concerns the tablet.
  • Reply 73 of 77
    flounderflounder Posts: 2,674member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Ireland View Post

If you're feeling reflective check out my initial, quite brief iPhone 2G review from 2 years ago, Jan 2008. I went to the trouble to highlight a couple of words there. It concerns the tablet.

so you predicted 10 to 11 inches and aluminum. Are we supposed to be wowed by your prognostic capabilities or something?
  • Reply 74 of 77
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Flounder View Post

so you predicted 10 to 11 inches and aluminum. Are we supposed to be wowed by your prognostic capabilities or something?

I also predicted it would be a laptop replacement. And if my predictions are correct, I am furthermore saying, and said, it will be called and marketed as a Mac, namely Mac touch. I won't tell you how your supposed to react, but I do find it funny.

The built in stand on the back, I also predict that. Although I'd rather call it "a rest".
  • Reply 75 of 77
    flounderflounder Posts: 2,674member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Ireland View Post

I also predicted it would be a laptop replacement. And if my predictions are correct, I am furthermore saying, and said, it will be called and marketed as a Mac, namely Mac touch. I won't tell you how your supposed to react, but I do find it funny.

The built in stand on the back, I also predict that. Although I'd rather call it "a rest".

Well, my reaction is you like to tell everyone how smart you think you are, and it's mildly annoying.
  • Reply 76 of 77
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Flounder View Post

Well, my reaction is you like to tell everyone how smart you think you are, and it's mildly annoying.

Well at least it's a little annoying!
  • Reply 77 of 77
    ivan.rnn01ivan.rnn01 Posts: 1,822member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by charlituna View Post

could have told you that. Most companies announce way before anything is ready to hit the market, which is why they can't tell you date and price

Apple rarely to never does this. they know the date and the price when they speak up. which is actually great cause the rumors are crazy enough, the real suspense of 'when can i have it' would kill some folks around here

\\

I know, Charlie, you seldom read what people write in the response to your posts. But I have to agree. Apple say little but they know everything. They know in January how much Q1 2010 will earn.