Help with problems since installing 4GB RAM in macbook

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited January 2014
Hi,

I have a macbook which is about a year old; running really slowly, so bought 4GB RAM from crucial to install in it- the memory showed up, computer was soo much quicker etc . Working absolutely fine for a week, and now (as per the other posts by people in a similar topic) my computer is displaying the following:

The computer boots up, but within about 10 minutes, apps (especially Safari and MSOffice ) keep freezing and then I get the "please restart your computer" message.

Occasionlly I get loud beeping with a blank screen & flashing LED

Any help would be much appreciated; I'm now about wary about checking the RAM out or anything like that. Also.. because I installed the RAM myself, does that invalidate any warranty / Apple after care??

Thanks so much for help in advance!

Comments

• Reply 1 of 4
    ivan.rnn01ivan.rnn01 Posts: 1,822member
    No, no. Memory upgrade shouldn't void your warranty.

But it does sound like the memory is corrupted. Could you please look into your kernel panic logs? How does it read?

Never install cheapest parts in Apple machines; always verify the Apple compliance and user rating.
  • Reply 2 of 4
    pmzpmz Posts: 3,433member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ivan.rnn01 View Post

No, no. Memory upgrade shouldn't void your warranty.

But it does sound like the memory is corrupted. Could you please look into your kernel panic logs? How does it read?

Never install cheapest parts in Apple machines; always verify the Apple compliance and user rating.

Uh, she bought it from CRUCIAL, like every one with any common sense.

--

99% chance the RAM was not installed properly and came lose. Open up the case again and make sure both RAM sticks are properly seated. You probably put them wrong, or not firmly enough, which is why after a week of moving around, they came loose. This would normally cause the computer to not even turn on, unless its off just slightly.
  • Reply 3 of 4
    ivan.rnn01ivan.rnn01 Posts: 1,822member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by pmz View Post

Uh, she bought it from CRUCIAL

Ah, sorry. Oughta have paid better attention.

We saw dead sticks from Crucial, too. Not that big of a deal.
  • Reply 4 of 4
    hudson1hudson1 Posts: 800member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by snowgirl View Post

Hi,

I have a macbook which is about a year old; running really slowly, so bought 4GB RAM from crucial to install in it- the memory showed up, computer was soo much quicker etc . Working absolutely fine for a week, and now (as per the other posts by people in a similar topic) my computer is displaying the following:

The computer boots up, but within about 10 minutes, apps (especially Safari and MSOffice ) keep freezing and then I get the "please restart your computer" message.

Occasionlly I get loud beeping with a blank screen & flashing LED

Any help would be much appreciated; I'm now about wary about checking the RAM out or anything like that. Also.. because I installed the RAM myself, does that invalidate any warranty / Apple after care??

Thanks so much for help in advance!

I know this might sound like a stupid request but can you verify from the "About this Mac" item in the Apple menu that you still have 4 GB memory registering?