iPod classic - now a stagnant platform?

Posted:
in iPod + iTunes + AppleTV edited January 2014
Ever since the introduction of the "classic" redesign, the base iPod platform seems to have taken a backseat to platforms such as the iPod touch and the nano. With the iPod touch, I can understand it's continual development, as it follows closely behind the continually evolving iPhone, but the nano seems to have become the golden child of the iPod line.

Is there a reason why the nano seems to be the target of new features and ideas, while the classic just gets minor storage updates?

Outside of OS updates, the last big update the original iPod platform had was video - and that was over five years ago.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 2
    addaboxaddabox Posts: 12,665member
    Hard drive based music players have one thing going for them: enormous amounts of storage space for the money. Beyond that they're more failure prone, bigger, heavier and slower.

For the iPod classic buyer, who as far as I know wants to basically have as much music on hand as humanly possible, the design is pretty good as is. I don't know that they really want or need a camera or GPS or a fancier UI or any of that. What else can Apple even do with the thing?
  • Reply 2 of 2
    MarvinMarvin Posts: 15,322moderator
    One thing I noted a while back was that the ipod classic costs the same as the ATV, same storage and everything. All they needed to do was get rid of the ATV and make an ipod dock that connected to the TV. Seems like some people at Apple might have the same idea:

http://gizmodo.com/5448918/apple-pat...ording-live-tv

Naturally the classic works best for storage due to the capacity and price but depending on compression, even the ipod touch etc could work ok. Storing at ipod quality you'd fit 20 hours of video on even the lowest ipod touch.

The reasoning I had why it's better to replace the ATV is that people buy ipods anyway and if you find the TV function to be poor, you still have a really good media player. Not to mention, all your TV shows are recorded straight to the device so if you have to go out one night and miss a TV show, you program it to record then next day to work on a commute or during a lunch break, you watch it on the device - no syncing required.

Resale is much easier because you don't have to rely on people needing a TV box like the ATV, you can sell it as an ipod. You can also see what's on your ipod without turning on the TV. Plus you can take it to a friend's house and plug it into their TV. There's no need to wait on slow wifi sync either as you can plug it straight into your Mac and copy all your content in minutes.

I do hope the classic becomes redundant but I can see it's uses in the above scenario. When the 64GB touch model drops to the 160GB classic, I think it will disappear from the lineup.