Apple restricting 3G VoIP, not AT&T...

124»

Comments

• Reply 61 of 75
    tulkastulkas Posts: 3,757member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by hill60 View Post

I can use Skype via Fring on my iPhone over 3G right now...

...still waiting on Skype, should I join the queue of Nokia S60v5 users who have been waiting since February last year for Skype to get their act into gear?

Hopefully it won't take so long for iPhone users.

Tick, tick, tick...

You can use fring or iCall. Like I said, they were very fast. We will see how long Skype takes. You seem to have a double standard again. Where Apple took for months just to allow 3G VOIP, you act like Skype is taking forever after 3 days. Interesting psychological study.

As for the 'strawman', I think perhaps a dictionary might help you. There was no misrepresentation of your position re GV and Google. Just another example of your inability to see your double standards at play.
  • Reply 62 of 75
    hill60hill60 Posts: 6,992member
    Skype are still working on push notifications, how long have they been around now?

May I remind you of the whole basis of this thread, from the very first post:-

Why is Apple blocking VoIP over 3G?

Seth Weintraub | January 16, 2010 | iPhone - iPod

We wondered yesterday why Skype hadn't enabled Push Notifications in their latest iPhone update, and more importantly, why we couldn't use Skype, or any voice over IP service, over 3G? Peter Parkes (not Spiderman), a Skype blogger, wrote in to clarify a few things for us.

First of all, they are working on Push Notifications. It's coming. Soon.

"we?re working on this; we?ll release a version with Push notifications when the experience has been perfected."

Also, the reason they can't enable VoIP over 3G isn't a limitation by AT&T.

Many of you have also been asking when we'll release a version which allows you to make calls over 3G - the holy grail of Skype on the mobile, if you like. We've had a 3G-capable version ready for some time now, but Apple's current restrictions mean that they won't allow us to make it available on the App Store for the moment

It is Apple themselves who have blocked VoIP over 3G, not AT&T at all. But why Apple, why?

When Apple blocks a capability on the iPhone, it often means that they are cooking up something similar or have a unique way of doing it. For instance, Apple blocked video on the iPhone and iPhone 3G only to introduce it as a breakaway feature on the iPhone 3GS. Perhaps Apple has some new way of doing VoIP in the works. Remember this?

Source

Tick, tick, tick...

The longer it takes, the more my contention that some whiner from Skype was covering their incompetence by blaming Apple becomes right.

They can't even get the push notifications working after six months, further delay's are purely Skype's fault as I said all along, some Skype lackey is trying to cover his butt.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tulkas View Post

You can use fring or iCall. Like I said, they were very fast. We will see how long Skype takes.

[CENTER]<snip> irrelevant drivel<snip>[/CENTER]

• Reply 63 of 75
    Quote:

Skype are still working on push notifications, how long have they been around now?

May I remind you of the whole basis of this thread, from the very first post:-

[I]Why is Apple blocking VoIP over 3G?

Seth Weintraub | January 16, 2010 | iPhone - iPod

We wondered yesterday why Skype hadn't enabled Push Notifications in their latest iPhone update, and more importantly, why we couldn't use Skype, or any voice over IP service, over 3G? Peter Parkes (not Spiderman), a Skype blogger, wrote in to clarify a few things for us.

Tick, tick, tick...

The longer it takes, the more my contention that some whiner from Skype was covering their incompetence by blaming Apple becomes right.

They can't even get the push notifications working after six months, further delay's are purely Skype's fault as I said all along, some Skype lackey is trying to cover his butt.

Pertinent part of your post:

Now, as to you contention:

"that some whiner from Skype was covering their incompetence by blaming Apple" being right.

Only if your time warp machine starts working. You made that assertion while Apple's SDK still prohibited VOIP over 3G...so blaming Apple was based on fact, as it was Apple's SDK that prohibited it.

If you made your assertion today, then you might have a leg to stand on.

If you claimed today that it was the year 2020, you would be wrong. In 2020 you would look pretty foolish to then say "see, i was right back in 2010."...
  • Reply 64 of 75
    I refer you to this part of the Skype lackey's comments, as referenced in the opening post.

"Many of you have also been asking when we'll release a version which allows you to make calls over 3G - the holy grail of Skype on the mobile, if you like. We've had a 3G-capable version ready for some time now, but Apple's current restrictions mean that they won't allow us to make it available on the App Store for the moment"

Tick, tick, tick...

Still waiting.

Let's hope it doesn't take as long as the S60v5 example I gave previously in order to back up my original contention.

Quote:

Pertinent part of your post:

Now, as to you contention:

"that some whiner from Skype was covering their incompetence by blaming Apple" being right.

Only if your time warp machine starts working. You made that assertion while Apple's SDK still prohibited VOIP over 3G...so blaming Apple was based on fact, as it was Apple's SDK that prohibited it.

If you made your assertion today, then you might have a leg to stand on.

If you claimed today that it was the year 2020, you would be wrong. In 2020 you would look pretty foolish to then say "see, i was right back in 2010."...

• Reply 65 of 75
    Quote:

I refer you to this part of the Skype lackey's comments, as referenced in the opening post.

"Many of you have also been asking when we'll release a version which allows you to make calls over 3G - the holy grail of Skype on the mobile, if you like. We've had a 3G-capable version ready for some time now, but Apple's current restrictions mean that they won't allow us to make it available on the App Store for the moment"

Tick, tick, tick...

Still waiting.

Let's hope it doesn't take as long as the S60v5 example I gave previously in order to back up my original contention.

Your original contention was wrong, at the time you made it...i.e. you implied that the barrier was not Apple but Skype. Given that Apple would not allow Skype to release it, your contention had no merit. I am sorry that is such a difficult concept.

Your contention that it was not Apple has limited value now, only because Apple has now decided to allow VOIP on 3G. But, the limited value it does have is only valid if Skype has not already submitted the update for approval and the delay is not again on Apple...but you have no way to know this one way or the other.

Again, you give Apple 4 months to update SDK docs (well, you were actually unaware, so it's not like you realized it took them that long) and become impatient with Skype after 3 days. Nice double standard...seems to be a pattern.

Acknowledging that Apple was indeed behind the absence of VOIP on 3G on the iPhone, as this thread clearly shows, does not make one a 'Skype lackey'. It simply shows a grounding in reality. Arguing that Apple was not to blame, even after you have been shown their SDK did prohibit it, is simply delusional. It is not 2020 yet, no matter how much you say it is. And in 2020, claiming you were right back in 2010 would also be delusional.
  • Reply 66 of 75
    Seven days now and no sign of any updates.

It looks like Peter the Skype blogger was scapegoating Apple to cover Skype's inadequacies.

First they couldn't get push notifications working and now this.

Update:-

Skype has verified that they are still working on VOIP over 3G for the iPhone.

(Non flash HTML 5 version for those who have enabled YouTube's HTML 5 beta)

Skype's delay HAD NOTHING WHATSOEVER TO DO WITH WHAT APPLE ALLOWS OR DOESN'T ALLOW.

"Many of you have also been asking when we'll release a version which allows you to make calls over 3G - the holy grail of Skype on the mobile, if you like. We've had a 3G-capable version ready for some time now, but Apple's current restrictions mean that they won't allow us to make it available on the App Store for the moment." Russ Shaw, General Manager, Skype mobile business.

Source

Game...

Set...

Match
  • Reply 67 of 75
    Quote:

Seven days now and no sign of any updates.

It looks like Peter the Skype blogger was scapegoating Apple to cover Skype's inadequacies.

First they couldn't get push notifications working and now this.

Update:-

Skype has verified that they are still working on VOIP over 3G for the iPhone.

(Non flash HTML 5 version for those who have enabled YouTube's HTML 5 beta)

Skype's delay HAD NOTHING WHATSOEVER TO DO WITH WHAT APPLE ALLOWS OR DOESN'T ALLOW.

"Many of you have also been asking when we'll release a version which allows you to make calls over 3G - the holy grail of Skype on the mobile, if you like. [b]We've had a 3G-capable version ready for some time now, but Apple's current restrictions mean that they won't allow us to make it available on the App Store for the moment." Russ Shaw, General Manager, Skype mobile business.

Source

Game...

Set...

Match

So, what do your links and quotes verify?

1) Until last week, Apple had restrictions in place prohibiting VOIP over 3G. We all know this, but you seem to think that Skype could have released an app openly on the App Store with VOIP over 3G enabled, prior to the rule change. Perhaps you could enlighten us as to how they might have done this?

2) Skype has had a 3G enabled version ready to go. (Did you even read the quote you posted from Shaw?) i.e. ' ready for some time now'. Aus still has english as their official language, don't they?

3) Skype has decided to optimize for 3G instead of just releasing 3G capable, as iCall and fringe have done.

Yet, with all of that, you still somehow thing that before last week, when Apple still banned the feature, that it had nothing to do with Apple. Could you please explain how Skype with 3G could have been made available before last week, when you first made your claims truly, I would love to hear your explanation. It should be rich...although I think you will misunderstand the question, topic and context..again.

I should drink more often….your logic might make sense. You honestly seem to be eagerly trying to show how little sense you can make.

Game, set, match for you? Is that a game you play when you make incorrect, illogical and bizarre statements? Must be a fun game.
  • Reply 68 of 75
    Skype DOES NOT have an App ready.

Skype said they DID have an App ready.

Apple inadvertently called their bluff by enabling VOIP over 3G and they were caught out in a lie.

Fair and square, indisputable fact, exactly how I said all along.

Now wipe the egg off your face and run along, nothing more to see here.

Quote:

So, what do your links and quotes verify?

1) Until last week, Apple had restrictions in place prohibiting VOIP over 3G. We all know this, but you seem to think that Skype could have released an app openly on the App Store with VOIP over 3G enabled, prior to the rule change. Perhaps you could enlighten us as to how they might have done this?

2) Skype has had a 3G enabled version ready to go. (Did you even read the quote you posted from Shaw?) i.e. ' ready for some time now'. Aus still has english as their official language, don't they?

3) Skype has decided to optimize for 3G instead of just releasing 3G capable, as iCall and fringe have done.

Yet, with all of that, you still somehow thing that before last week, when Apple still banned the feature, that it had nothing to do with Apple. Could you please explain how Skype with 3G could have been made available before last week, when you first made your claims truly, I would love to hear your explanation. It should be rich...although I think you will misunderstand the question, topic and context..again.

I should drink more often….your logic might make sense. You honestly seem to be eagerly trying to show how little sense you can make.

Game, set, match for you? Is that a game you play when you make incorrect, illogical and bizarre statements? Must be a fun game.

• Reply 69 of 75
    Quote:

Skype DOES NOT have an App ready.

Apparently they do. They said they are waiting to improve it before release.

Quote:

Skype said they DID have an App ready.

yes, yes they did. And have now decided to wait. You do not work for skype, so you cannot say, one way or the other, why they have waited (a whole, entire, week-gosh)

Quote:

Apple called their bluff and they were caught out in a lie.

Apple didn't call any bluff. Stop romanticizing their business decisions. It is really....disconcerting and more than a little creepy.

Skype says they decided to not simply release a 3G capable version, but instead want to optimize it further. You have no knowledge to authoritatively say they have lied. You pulled that out of your ass (again).

Quote:

Fair and square, indisputable fact, exactly how I said all along.

No, your claim was that Skype was responsible for Skype 3G VOIP not being available on the iPhone...well before Apple even allowed the feature. An incredibly dense position to take, given that Apple banned this feature at the time you made your genius claim. Do you still not understand that? Is this really that hard for you?

Quote:

Now wipe the egg off your face and run along, nothing more to see here.

Nothing to see? Are you kidding. Reading your posts is hilarious.

No egg on my face.

I realize completely that I am arguing with a person that cannot bring himself to face truth, logic or reality. It is mostly for humour, to see just how far you will twist logic and reason to take to make Apple look right. But, it is getting pretty creepy.

One question, you keep dodging around...how could skype release it before Apple allowed it?
  • Reply 70 of 75
    Let me remind you of the actual words.

"Many of you have also been asking when we'll release a version which allows you to make calls over 3G - the holy grail of Skype on the mobile, if you like. We've had a 3G-capable version ready for some time now, but Apple's current restrictions mean that they won't allow us to make it available on the App Store for the moment." Russ Shaw, General Manager, Skype mobile business.

Source

Russ Shaw said "We've had a 3G-capable version ready for some time now" a lie, if he had of said "We almost have a 3G-capable version ready we are working on some final optimisations" it would not have been a lie.

In a statement full of excuses (if you read the source I linked to), excuses for Blackberry, the N97 and I quote:-

And more

"I'd like to reassure all of you who've been waiting patiently for our apps for the Nokia N97 and BlackBerry smartphones. They're on their way, but unfortunately we've faced delays beyond our control in getting them to you. The BlackBerry app is in private beta testing at the moment, and we're working hard to create the best possible Skype experience on both of these devices. When they're ready, you'll be among the first to know."

Source

I'll bet old Russ was quite relieved to fob something off on Apple.

Now these optimisations only affect iPhone 3GS users, why not release it for everyone then add an update later?

Quote:

Apparently they do. They said they are waiting to improve it before release.

Skype says they decided to not simply release a 3G capable version, but instead want to optimize it further. You have no knowledge to authoritatively say they have lied. You pulled that out of your ass (again).

• Reply 71 of 75
    One simple question, but you keep dodging…almost like you honestly do not know. How could they have released a 3G VOIP version 2 weeks ago while Apple still banned it?

Quote:

Let me remind you of the actual words.

Source

Russ Shaw said "We've had a 3G-capable version ready for some time now" a lie, if he had of said "We almost have a 3G-capable version ready we are working on some final optimisations" it would not have been a lie.

And like I said you have not way to know if it was a lie….please stop pulling things out that you don't understand.

They said they had a version that could do 3G ready before. Maybe the did. you do not know this was not true so you calling them liars is just stupid.

As has been explained to you, without you ever comprehending: a version that was capable of working on 3G, 3G ready if you will, would have been a matter of removing the cripple switch.

Optimizing is a different story. Perhaps, given Apple's silence on the matter for months after AT&T approved VOIP on 3G led Skype to believe Apple was never going to allow it. Why waste resources with the optimization if it was likely Apple would never allow it? No…easier to say they were lying…

Quote:

I'll bet old Russ was quite relieved to fob something off on Apple.

Wy would he be relieved to do something Apple made no secret of 'revealing' themselves. It isn't like Apple kept it a secret that the were prohibiting VOIP on 3G for months after AT&T allowed it.

Perhaps nut-goggles prevent seeing what is so obvious….creepy

Quote:

Now these optimisations only affect iPhone 3GS users, why not release it for everyone then add an update later?

Where did you read they were only optimizing for 3GS users? Or was that a fabrication too? (if it is one of your links, I missed it) I expect the are optimizing for VOIP on 3G networks. Why not just release it? I would have expected you to at least understand the ethic of getting it right before shipping. What sort of Apple fan are you? ...
  • Reply 72 of 75
    It's in the video where they discuss the "silk" codec... cd quality sound, requires the advanced hardware of the 3GS and latest iPod touches... blah, blah, blah.

Pay particular attention at the 14 second mark where the head of the Skype development team for the iPhone states that "Now that Apple have changed the terms of service of the SDK that they can START on Skype for the iPhone over 3G"

What do you work for Skype or something?

All that Russ guy had was excuses, misleading excuses, later exposed as a lie.

I'm just someone who knows bullsh*t when they see it, a product of fifteen years of being on the wrong end of Apple bashing.

Quote:

Where did you read they were only optimizing for 3GS users? Or was that a fabrication too? (if it is one of your links, I missed it) I expect the are optimizing for VOIP on 3G networks. Why not just release it? I would have expected you to at least understand the ethic of getting it right before shipping. What sort of Apple fan are you? ...

• Reply 73 of 75
    Quote:

It's in the video where they discuss the "silk" codec... cd quality sound, requires the advanced hardware of the 3GS and latest iPod touches... blah, blah, blah.

Pay particular attention at the 14 second mark where the head of the Skype development team for the iPhone states that "Now that Apple have changed the terms of service of the SDK that they can START on Skype for the iPhone over 3G"

What do you work for Skype or something?

All that Russ guy had was excuses, misleading excuses, later exposed as a lie.

I'm just someone who knows bullsh*t when they see it, a product of fifteen years of being on the wrong end of Apple bashing.

You are reading way too much into the statements. Of course he says they can start working on it now. Every point he talks about are optimizations, which would have been ridiculous to work on while Apple prohibited the functionality. Nothing in the video or quotes would lead a rational person to think Skype had been lying. That is simply a paranoid delusion or a lazy way to try to rationalize away Apple's responsibility for the feature being unavailable until now.

They mention one optimization that will be 3GS only...the rest is all optimizations for the 3G network.

Your statements of being "a product of fifteen years of being on the wrong end of Apple bashing" is very telling. You have a strong martyr syndrome. You have become so paranoid of 'Apple bashing' that you think any criticism of them is automatically bashing and wrong....worse. You internalize it and take criticisms of Apple personally. Here is a hint: criticism of Apple is not automatically bad nor automatically bashing of Apple...it has actually often helped Apple improve. Also, you are not Apple and have no relationship to Apple. Taking criticisms of Apple personally is not healthy.

Being an Apple fan should not been believing the worst about every other company. It shouldn't mean having to make up flimsy rationale to try to shift blame away from Apple, when they are clearly at fault, simply because you refuse to see fault. I have been an Apple user and fan for 30 years. I am not an Apple basher. I have seen Apple through the worst when the media and everyone else treated them like a sinking ship. When the most common adjective to describe them was 'beleaguered'. I am simply not stupid enough to stick my head in the sand and pretend they are perfect and above reproach...that is weakminded bullshit.

I will, have and do defend Apple's products and policies when they are good and proper. To defend them when they are at fault isn't a sign of fanhood....it is delusional to think they are always right and never at fault.

BTW, still waiting for you to actually explain how you believe Skype could have released a 3G enabled version while Apple banned the functionality. You keep dodging and dodging and dodging. Sticking your head in the sand and pretending the question doesn't exist isn't a good explanation. It does show that perhaps, deep down, you realize it would not have been possible...but your 'fanhood' prevents you from acknowledging this simple fact. Even if you won't admit it here, you must know this simple fact. That you cannot bring yourself to say it, shows how willing you are to hide from reality.
  • Reply 74 of 75
    Why don't you give up.

In the video published in February 2010 David Ponsford the head of the Skype App for iPhone development team specifically states that, as Apple has changed the terms of their SDK, they can start work on Skype over 3G for the iPhone.

In December 2009, Russ Shaw, General manager Skype Mobile business stated that a Skype over 3G App for the iPhone had been completed for some time.

Which one of these statements is true?

Why are you so adamant in defending these guys.

Quote:

blah, blah blah

• Reply 75 of 75
    Quote:

Why don't you give up.

In the video published in February 2010 David Ponsford the head of the Skype App for iPhone development team specifically states that, as Apple has changed the terms of their SDK, they can start work on Skype over 3G for the iPhone.

In December 2009, Russ Shaw, General manager Skype Mobile business stated that a Skype over 3G App for the iPhone had been completed for some time.

Which one of these statements is true?

Why are you so adamant in defending these guys.

Why are you so incapable of admitting you were wrong (blindly, sadly, incredibly). You strangely claimed that Skype was responsible for their being no Skype with 3G on the iPhone while Apple still banned this functionality. I mean, there is loyal fanhood and there is blind, unquestioning, non-thinking, delusional obedience. Which do you think you come off as

Simple question mate, how could Skype have released it at the time that you blamed them? tick tock, tick tock...not too hard a question...or is it?

Which of those statements is true? Why not both? Are you so limited you can't see that option? They very likely had a 3G capable version months ago. But since Apple banned the functionality, they idled the project. Now that they have the go ahead, they are working on optimizing it. I know you have zero experience with the software business, but have you no business experience at all? But, I guess the lazy answer (for those that need to deflect blame from Apple) is that Skype must be liars...even before they were allowed to release it.

Why don't I give up? I take offense at people that give Apple users a bad name. I have been responsible for dozens people switching to Apple products. Do you know what makes it the most difficult to convince them? The zombies. People who can't bring themselves to see fault with Apple. People who have a creepy, slavish devotion to the company that goes way beyond normal. There are Apple evangelists and there are Apple cultists who take it beyond a fun nickname and actually take on the traits of a hardcore, brainwashed cultist. Those people are responsible for most of the 'Apple bashing' that happens. They create the caricature of a real Apple fan that the rest of us have to deal with being stigmatized with. They create the image of a psychotically obsessive personality who is many steps removed from reality. I would rather debate them here when they start spewing their crap then have them spread their almost satirical image of what a real Apple fan is. Fawning devotion to Apple does not make one an Apple fan....\