Are we about to have "revision a" hardware again?

Posted:
in Future Apple Hardware edited January 2014
I always heard this term thrown around when it came to Apple introducing new hardware. Does "revision a" mean the internal components or the chasis? I'm talking about the supposed update Apple will be doing in the coming weeks with updating the internal components to an entirely new chipset yet most likely keeping the chasis the same. What is the general consensus with Apple's generation one hardware? I know no one is going to know what hardware in the future is going to be like but has it been bad in the past?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 9
    mr. kmr. k Posts: 115member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Jack of Hearts View Post

I always heard this term thrown around when it came to Apple introducing new hardware. Does "revision a" mean the internal components or the chasis? I'm talking about the supposed update Apple will be doing in the coming weeks with updating the internal components to an entirely new chipset yet most likely keeping the chasis the same. What is the general consensus with Apple's generation one hardware? I know no one is going to know what hardware in the future is going to be like but has it been bad in the past?

A "Rev A" period happens when the innards of a machine are significantly updated, the case/chassis of the machine is significantly changed, or a brand new product line is introduced. Usually the Rev A hardware is mostly reliable, but you run a much higher chance of succumbing to unforeseen technical issues. The "Rev A" period typically lasts a month or two. After that, the vast majority of outstanding issues with the hardware & software have been solved. At that point it's on to Rev B/C/D.
  • Reply 2 of 9
    vineavinea Posts: 5,585member
    I have a good number of Rev A hardware from Apple that's been solid. My 2006 MBP Core Duo is a Rev A. I got my dad a Rev A Mac Mini Core Duo (also 2006).
  • Reply 3 of 9
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by vinea View Post

I have a good number of Rev A hardware from Apple that's been solid. My 2006 MBP Core Duo is a Rev A. I got my dad a Rev A Mac Mini Core Duo (also 2006).

My Rev A Core Duo had the annoying moo fan with the faulty logic board that caused the high pitched buzzing noise. I've always tried to stay away from any company's Rev A product, high tech hardware with complicated operating systems are bound to have unforeseen issues.
  • Reply 4 of 9
    I haven't really seen any difference between rev.a and later revisions reliability-wise. I've had rev.a machines that were rock solid and later revision machines that had the sam severe problems as the first revision machines three years earlier. If its a software issue, it will be corrected. If you like the computer, just get. If you don't like it, get it anyone because you really don't have other options.
  • Reply 5 of 9
    I would avoid revision A. Based on monitoring Apple laptops for a couple of decades now, the first ones run hot, have faulty fans, problems with the optical drive, weak screen connectors, audio problems, bad motherboards. Take your pick. If you can control your gadget lust and buy second or third revision, then Apple laptops are the best.
  • Reply 6 of 9
    mr. memr. me Posts: 3,221member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by foliovision View Post

... Based on monitoring Apple laptops for a couple of decades now, the first ones run hot, have faulty fans, problems with the optical drive, weak screen connectors, audio problems, bad motherboards. Take your pick. If you can control your gadget lust and buy second or third revision, then Apple laptops are the best.

Oh, nonsense.
  • Reply 7 of 9
    Does anyone have any idea how long it takes them to come out with rev. B and how do you know when they do?

Quote:
    Originally Posted by foliovision View Post

I would avoid revision A. Based on monitoring Apple laptops for a couple of decades now, the first ones run hot, have faulty fans, problems with the optical drive, weak screen connectors, audio problems, bad motherboards. Take your pick. If you can control your gadget lust and buy second or third revision, then Apple laptops are the best.

• Reply 8 of 9
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by debusoh View Post

Does anyone have any idea how long it takes them to come out with rev. B and how do you know when they do?

Interested to know this as well.
  • Reply 9 of 9
    mr. kmr. k Posts: 115member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Jack of Hearts View Post

Interested to know this as well.

As my local Apple retailer (who's been at it for the last 16 years) never ceases to remind me, Rev A hardware typically lasts 6-10 weeks.