Apple confirms Jan. 27 media event to show off 'latest creation'

191011121315»

Comments

• Reply 281 of 299
    ivan.rnn01ivan.rnn01 Posts: 1,822member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by crazychester View Post

Nope. The company is always referred to in terms of "we", "our", "us" at product launches and in interviews. Despite his reportedly massive ego, Steve hardly ever uses the word "I" when he's talking about stuff Apple is doing.

Don't fancy, just check out their marketing mottos. All their logic is in there. It's always meaningful.
  • Reply 282 of 299
    addaboxaddabox Posts: 12,665member
    Quote:

Nope. The company is always referred to in terms of "we", "our", "us" at product launches and in interviews. Despite his reportedly massive ego, Steve hardly ever uses the word "I" when he's talking about stuff Apple is doing.

Really, what was the invite supposed to say, "Come see my latest creation" with a big picture of a beaming Jobs? "Come see what I did"?

When lack of a first person singular pronoun in an event invitation is taken as a "clue", we've officially reached the extremely silly portion of our always somewhat silly run-up to a new Apple product.
  • Reply 283 of 299
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ivan.rnn01 View Post

Don't fancy, just check out their marketing mottos. All their logic is in there. It's always meaningful.

If you mean in advertising slogans and the like, I think you'll find any use of the first person will be by an

imaginary user referring to themselves. But when they refer to themselves (see even I'm doing it), it's plural. If nothing else it makes the blame easier to spread around when things go belly up.
  • Reply 284 of 299
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by addabox View Post

Really, what was the invite supposed to say, "Come see my latest creation" with a big picture of a beaming Jobs? "Come see what I did"?

When lack of a first person singular pronoun in an event invitation is taken as a "clue", we've officially reached the extremely silly portion of our always somewhat silly run-up to a new Apple product.

Basically that's what I was getting at. That I don't think ivan can read that much into it especially when the spiel just uses the usual familiar terminology.

I know you wish it really said "Hey y'all, come see our latest creation", adda.
  • Reply 285 of 299
    Quote:

If you mean in advertising slogans and the like, I think you'll find any use of the first person will be by an

imaginary user referring to themselves. But when they refer to themselves (see even I'm doing it), it's plural. If nothing else it makes the blame easier to spread around when things go belly up.

"A landmark event. In more ways than one"

Oh, they always have what to put on event posters. What is exciting they always put the meaningful thing.
  • Reply 286 of 299
    Quote:

Basically that's what I was getting at. That I don't think ivan can read that much into it especially when the spiel just uses the usual familiar terminology.

I know you wish it really said "Hey y'all, come see our latest creation", adda.

With a toothless Jobs doing a little shit kicker dance. Yes. Oh please, yes.
  • Reply 287 of 299
    Quote:

Steve might even call it the "Y'all".

Just for you adda.
  • Reply 288 of 299
    Ha! Slate agrees with me.

If Steve Jobs gave the State of the Union address. (via Boing Boing)

Quote:

Thank you for coming. And thank you to President Obama for asking me to deliver this year's speech. We're going to make some history today.

You know, it was just a year ago that we announced our economic plan for 2009. We said we were going to turn around the recession. We said we'd create jobs. And we said we'd do it in 12 months. What happened? We did it in three. It was the most successful period in the history of the United States. And 2010 is only going to be better. How awesome is that?

(APPLAUSE.)

How did we do it? Simple. We made a stimulus package. It had the most features of any package we've ever created?more jobs, more money, more everything. We could have stopped there. We could've said, Hey, that was great. Let's go do something else. But you know what? It wasn't enough. The American people deserve something even better and more revolutionary.

It's about projecting the image of an innovative design collective that's always thinking, thinking, thinkig....creating, creating, creatinng.

And that's the way they talk about themselves all the time.

Hence, as adda said, I really don't think you can attach any special meaning vis-a-vis the iThingy to the use of "our".
  • Reply 289 of 299
    Quote:

Steve might even call it the "Y'all".

Just for you adda.

I like it. Then they can drop the "i" things (which ostensibly were originally for "internet" and the pronoun "I" in favor of "y" things, which will stand for "ya'll" and "Why did I buy this, again?"
  • Reply 290 of 299
    Quote:

I like it. Then they can drop the "i" things (which ostensibly were originally for "internet" and the pronoun "I" in favor of "y" things, which will stand for "ya'll" and "Why did I buy this, again?"

And it fits in nicely if the rumor that it's a device shared among the whole family turns out to be true. Maybe we should drop Steve a line, adda. For all we know, they might still be mulling over what to call it. This could be just the idea he's looking for. He might give us a job.

Gee, doesn't he look like shit in that pic accompanying the Slate story. I'd forgotten just how sick looking he got. Not just his face but his left arm is nothing more than skin and bone.
  • Reply 291 of 299
    olternautolternaut Posts: 1,376member
    Quote:

Will you stop trying to spoil everyone's fun??!!
  • Reply 292 of 299
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Olternaut View Post

Will you stop trying to spoil everyone's fun??!!

What do you mean? When hillbilly Jobs busts out the jig, the fun is just beginning!
  • Reply 293 of 299
    Quote:

What do you mean? When hillbilly Jobs busts out the jig, the fun is just beginning!

And the show closes with Kenny Rogers and Kris Kristofferson singing a duet to the Beverly Hillbillies theme:

Come and listen to a story 'bout a man named Jobs

He spent all his time makin' tech for the mobs.

He said, "Come and see our latest creation",

And all around there was great elation.

A tablet that is, an iPad, an Apple slate.

Well the next thing you know old Jobs is on the stage

He said, "Have a glass of this yummy Koolaid."

The crowd all cheered and applauded very hard

Then they lined right up and got out their credit cards.

Some paid cash. Or robbed a bank. I bought two.

The cost was steep but nobody cares

RDF made them buy Apple's wares

"I own all your souls", said the almighty Steve

"Whatever I say, y'all will believe."

I am god. Your lord and master. You're pwned!

Y'all come back now you hear.
  • Reply 294 of 299
    olternautolternaut Posts: 1,376member
    Quote:

And the show closes with Kenny Rogers and Kris Kristofferson singing a duet to the Beverly Hillbillies theme:

We all know there is going to be a catch so let's at least enjoy the moment while we can hmm?
  • Reply 295 of 299
    It looks pretty promising that itll be named iSlate with big sites like http://www.islateiforum.com putting money into the name now
  • Reply 296 of 299
    Quote:

(Stomping foot) Yee haw! (Shoots revolvers into air) Hell yeah! (Takes swig from jug) ARRRRRRGGGGGGHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!! (Falls onto face)
  • Reply 297 of 299
    I think There will be a tablet and an announcement that the four main cell carriers plus Clear Wireless (which is amazing here in Chicago) are all getting the iphone. I think the colors represent the colors for each of the major carriers. Now I could just be crazy and just a bit of wishful thinking, but that's my two cents.
  • Reply 298 of 299
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Olternaut View Post

We all know there is going to be a catch so let's at least enjoy the moment while we can hmm?

Oh it was intended entirely in good humour. At this point in time, it's hard not to let a bit of silliness set in.

N'est-ce pas?
  • Reply 299 of 299
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ivan.rnn01 View Post

Positioning this product as a family one means there's no leading `i' in its name. Period.

Chances the name contains "slate" are inexistent.

P.S. I believe "iSlate" will become the placeholder of "troll" on the day after tomorrow.