Tablet, iPhone OS 4.0, iLife 2010 'confirmed' for Apple event - report

Comments

• Reply 41 of 224
    olternautolternaut Posts: 1,376member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Kishan View Post

So what is the link between the new device, iLife and iPhone OS 4? Would Apple do a special event like this to launch three disparate products? Doesn't seem very elegant to me. They should probably all tie together somehow.

The new device will most likely run a new version of iLife. At least that is what is being suggested. And the rumors have been that the new device is going to run a customized version of the latest iPhone OS which in reality is itself a custom version of OSX.
  • Reply 42 of 224
    citycity Posts: 522member
    I am expecting a tablet that's transparent, one sixteenth of an inch thin and curls like a newspaper.
  • Reply 43 of 224
    kishankishan Posts: 732member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by backtomac View Post

Perhaps there is an iLife version for the tablet.

soooooooo, we're all holding our breaths for a touch version of iLife to be run on the new iPhone software and the new device? Maybe it'll be melt-my-brain fantastic, but this doesn't sound like it.
  • Reply 44 of 224
    Great. But c'mon Apple, don't make us pay for iLife '10 now!!!!

I sprung for iWork '08 and iLife '08, and then again iWork '09, iLife '09 (all family editions)..... and it's too much to ask us to pony up again. I would consider that gouging (and I say that as shareholder).
  • Reply 45 of 224
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by MacTripper View Post

No iSlate or Tablet.

Larger iPod Touch and iPhone, color plastic backing, more storage, optional stylus.

Mac updates with newer processors.

We'll check back with you next to see how well your prediction did.

I have my own sources who say iPhone OS 4 and some sort of tablet will be introduced on the 27.

I wouldn't be surprised to see iWork for the new device, but I've heard nothing about it except from rumors sites like this one.
  • Reply 46 of 224
    cmf2cmf2 Posts: 1,427member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Gazoobee View Post

Could be. Just seems a bit strange to me. As has already been pointed out, iWork is a better fit for the tablet and necessary for it's function, iLife, not so much. Also, paint apps are traditionally included in suites like iWork and iWork is the modern incarnation of AppleWorks which had a paint program, and said paint program is the only thing "missing" from iWork as a traditional suite of apps.

That being said Apple is not such a traditional company, so who knows. Just seems odd to re-do iLife or to clutter up the tablet announcement with an extraneous thing like that. You'd think with the tablet being announced that the focus would be totally on the tablet and things that make it a good buy or useful, i.e. - iWork, not iLife.

iLife 2010 would be the name of the desktop application, would it not? The rumor seems to be specifically discussing an OSX program, not a tablet version. That has no impact on whether or not a version of iWork appears on a tablet. An updated version of iWork on the desktop probably wouldn't be needed for a tablet version to appear either. On the other hand, iWork and iLife are usually updated together... the rumor could be incomplete.

However, if we do get a paint program, I would wager it becoming a part of iLife. As I've already stated it fits in perfect with creative programs like iMovie and GarageBand. Additionally, paint comes free with new computers with windows and iLife comes free with new macs. If you want something on the level of a photoshop replacement, it would probably be a standalone program.

Why would they announce a new iLife for macs at a tablet announcement? I would guess that there may be some new features shared between the tablet and iLife; either in the form of new programs (paint being a possibility), more syncing options (could apply to iWork too), or the tablet may have the ability to interact directly with iLife programs on a mac as a secondary input device/secondary monitor.

Oh well the 27th isn't too far away, we will know soon enough.
  • Reply 47 of 224
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solarein View Post

On the contrary, the original poster had merely criticized the journalistic integrity of a news source. You are the one who is bringing ideology into this.

That was the original poster. Then people started to chirp nonsensically at the mention of Fox. So he had a point.

But anyways, HELLO? Tablet???
  • Reply 48 of 224
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by city View Post

I am expecting a tablet that's transparent, one sixteenth of an inch thin and curls like a newspaper.

Don't tease me!
  • Reply 49 of 224
    davegeedavegee Posts: 2,765member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by city View Post

You forgot about the device never needed a charge ___EVER___ due to the tapping of zero point energy sources.
  • Reply 50 of 224
    antkm1antkm1 Posts: 1,441member
    Quote:

So what is the link between the new device, iLife and iPhone OS 4? Would Apple do a special event like this to launch three disparate products? Doesn't seem very elegant to me. They should probably all tie together somehow.

my latest theory is that the tablet (the main event) will be the bridge device between the iphone and the macbook. and iLife mobile will be the supporting structure, along with the iphone OS 4.0
  • Reply 51 of 224
    gazoobeegazoobee Posts: 3,754member
    Quote:

Presumably a revision of the iPhone OS would be necessary to support things like document creation for the tablet. The only odd one out is iLife, which at first blush would seem to not be the very first thing one thinks of in connection with a tablet.

Perhaps the whole thing is about "creation" and thus a mobile version of iLife, but that sounds boring to me outside of Garage Band. iPhoto for the tablet sounds like a sleeper and it's hard to visualise how you'd do iMovie or iWeb on a tiny tablet in any useful way. Pages, Numbers, and a drawing program make more sense to me and are almost requirements for any successful tablet.
  • Reply 52 of 224
    ronboronbo Posts: 669member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Wayfarer View Post

I'm gonna pretend I didn't see this.

Because we all know the iTablet/Slate is an imaginary product.

Move along folks, nothing to see here.

Finally! The voice of reason. I knew this was imaginary
  • Reply 53 of 224
    wigginwiggin Posts: 2,265member
    Quote:

I dunno, the iLife part of the rumour makes no sense to me.

It actually makes perfect sense. One of the biggest issues people raise about a tablet is, "what would I do with one". I larger iPod touch isn't enough reason to pay $1000 for such a device. Think back to why Apple created iLife for the Mac in the first place. They created it so you could do useful things with a Mac right out of the box and differentiate it from Windows PCs.

The iPhone/touch are fine for displaying photos, but not good for editing. If I can import photos from my camera onto a tablet and edit/organize them, it helps to justify the higher price. If Apple only included iPhone type apps with the tablet, and you had to buy a lot of other software before you could do anything useful, it would be a harder sell to make.
  • Reply 54 of 224
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by DaveGee View Post

You forgot about the device never needed a charge ___EVER___ due to the tapping of zero point energy sources.

Is that like a quantum singularity? As in a micro black hole?

Oh wait, no your talking about stargate tech.
  • Reply 55 of 224
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post

I sprung for iWork '08 and iLife '08, and then again iWork '09, iLife '09 (all family editions)..... and it's too much to ask us to pony up again. I would consider that gouging (and I say that as shareholder).

You aren't forced to buy new software just because it's available.

I skipped iLife '05 and never felt like I was missing anything. I was planning to skip iLife '09 too, but wound up buying a new Mac last year and so got it "free". I definitely won't bother with iLife X and likely won't pay for v11 either because I'm planning to move my Mac mini to the living room and get an iMac once Mac OS X 10.7.1 is out.
  • Reply 56 of 224
    wigginwiggin Posts: 2,265member
    Quote:

"make" you pay? I see two options...

1. Apple releases iLife '10 and you simply don't buy it.

2. Apple doesn't release iLife '10.

Either way, you are still using your iLife '09.

So why would you care if Apple releases '10 for those of us who might want to use it?
  • Reply 57 of 224
    kishankishan Posts: 732member
    Quote:

Presumably a revision of the iPhone OS would be necessary to support things like document creation for the tablet. The only odd one out is iLife, which at first blush would seem to not be the very first thing one thinks of in connection with a tablet.

Perhaps the whole thing is about "creation" and thus a mobile version of iLife, but that sounds boring to me outside of Garage Band. iPhoto for the tablet sounds like a sleeper and it's hard to visualise how you'd do iMovie or iWeb on a tiny tablet in any useful way. Pages, Numbers, and a drawing program make more sense to me and are almost requirements for any successful tablet.

Okay, I get the iPhone4.0 and Tablet going together. But I still don't see the iLife thing.
  • Reply 58 of 224
    davegeedavegee Posts: 2,765member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by antkm1 View Post

my latest theory is that the tablet (the main event) will be the bridge device between the iphone and the macbook. and iLife mobile will be the supporting structure, along with the iphone OS 4.0

I'm actually kinda on the fence with the whole TABLE ++AND++ iPhone OS ++AND++ iLife all being headlined at the event.

When Apple usually does these standalone rollouts they are usually quite specific to a given device.

Yes I can see them touching on new iPhone OS features that are integral to the device (tablet) but I'm certainly not expecting an in depth presentation like you'd expect to see at a developer conference. When it comes to iLife... Well if this story is true and iLife is the 'killer app' thats supposed to drive the sales and adoption of this new device I'd be more than a little disappointed...

Unless of course iLife gets a new software product never before available.

But I wouldn't make any mistakes about it... The event held next week will be singularly focused on the tablet.
  • Reply 59 of 224
    ronboronbo Posts: 669member
    Quote:

Good Lord, it's always amazing to see people saying this. I hope you're under 12, because otherwise this is silly. You don't have to pay to keep using iWork & iLife 2009. That's what you paid for. The programmers who worked on these packages over the past year didn't do so for free, but you want the product of their labors for free... because you paid for the product of their labors the year before? That's like the Simpson's episode where Homer was trying to explain to Lisa that he didn't have to pay taxes this year, because he paid LAST year.
  • Reply 60 of 224
    gazoobeegazoobee Posts: 3,754member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by cmf2 View Post

iLife 2010 would be the name of the desktop application, would it not? The rumor seems to be specifically discussing an OSX program, not a tablet version. That has no impact on whether or not a version of iWork appears on a tablet. An updated version of iWork on the desktop probably wouldn't be needed for a tablet version to appear either. On the other hand, iWork and iLife are usually updated together... the rumor could be incomplete.

However, if we do get a paint program, I would wager it becoming a part of iLife. As I've already stated it fits in perfect with creative programs like iMovie and GarageBand. Additionally, paint comes free with new computers with windows and iLife comes free with new macs. If you want something on the level of a photoshop replacement, it would probably be a standalone program.

Why would they announce a new iLife for macs at a tablet announcement? I would guess that there may be some new features shared between the tablet and iLife; either in the form of new programs (paint being a possibility), more syncing options (could apply to iWork too), or the tablet may have the ability to interact directly with iLife programs on a mac as a secondary input device/secondary monitor.

Oh well the 27th isn't too far away, we will know soon enough.

Yeah, it's getting so it's almost not worth speculating anymore. I find this whole rumour confusing.

You make some good points, and I certainly don't have any definitive information. The paint program always used to be included with the word processor and the spreadsheet a la Apppleworks, but that doesn't mean they have to keep doing it I guess. Also, a word processor is also about "creation," not everyone uses it for work. I could go either way.

I kind of don't see how iPhoto would be useful on a tablet though given that the tablet is (supposedly), an adjunct to your "real" computer and more probably a content creation device, than a content storage device. iMovie makes more sense in that you don't store your media in it, but how useful would be iMovie on a tablet? Much less than on a desktop and only slightly better than the iPhone would be my answer. iWeb is a bit of a joke of late and again, how would having it on a tablet really help anyone to make a website?

My bias is that the tablet would be for content creation and the two easiest fits are writing and drawing. Thus my feeling that iWork with a new paint app would be the best fit.

It could be as you say though, that iLife 10 might have nothing to do with the tablet and just be an ancillary announcement.

Steve has to have something to blather on about and fill up the time before the "one more thing..." announcement. To build the suspense at it were.