MBP slow bootup & running VERY slow

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited January 2014
I have a 2007 Santa Rose MBP and it has started to run very slow during the bootup and actual use of it. Here is how the bootup goes:

I turn it on and get the bong sound and a full white screen. In about 10 seconds I get the Apple log and in about another 10 seconds the circle that rotates as it boots up.

Then at about 2 minutes it changes color to a light blue color with the pointer on the screen. Then in about another 10 seconds changes to a darker shade of blue. At a total of 3 mins and 40 secs I then get the desktop with the space type background and in a couple more seconds the Mac OS X login screen. It takes around a minute until I am able to type anything. For awhile before that time I can type I get the beachball.

Here are the details of what I recently did:

I had a 250GB hard drive in my MBP running the newest version of Leopard. I was down to around 50GB free so I purchased a 640GB hard drive. I also was due to upgrade to Snow Leopard. I had an external USB enclosure that I could temporarily use. What I did is put the 640GB hard drive in that external enclosure and formatted it with the GUID partition table. I then used SuperDuper to mirror my internal hard drive to the external hard drive. I have a lot of programs installed and a lot data on my hard drive so didn't want to lose any of this.

Once the mirroring of my internal hard drive was completed to my external 640GB hard drive I then booted from that drive (using it externally and selecting option at bootup). Things seemed to run fine with no issues.

I then after booting up from this external hard drive did a Snow Leopard upgrade to this external hard drive. Once again this external hard drive appeared to run perfectly normal.

After things seemed to be okay I then opened up the MBP and swapped hard drives so the 640GB drive was my new internal HD. I then booted and once again I used it some and things appeared to work normally.

After this later in the evening I installed two programs, Final Cut Studio 3 and Logic Studio 9. As far as I can remember my computer was acting a little odd and after a reboot that is when all the above issues started.

As far as I can tell this never started until those two installs. Is it a chance I didn't try it out enough but I remember even with the HD being external USB my system appeared to run faster than ever. I even think the program didn't start with Final Cut Studio but started with Logic Studio 9

Any idea of what caused this? Even after my computer running it's VERY slow to the point of being almost unusable. For example if I open Word it takes 3 minutes or so to open. Almost any action causes the beachball to appear.

After looking at the Apple site I did both a PRAM erase (using Command Option P and N) and also a SMC reset by removing the battery and power cord and pressing the power button for over 5 seconds and neither fixed it.

I opened up Disk Utility and did a Verify Permission and got the following information:

Permissions differ on "usr/share/derby", should be drwxr-xr-x, they are lrwxr-xr-x.

Warning: SUID file "System/Library/CoreS...as been modified and will not be repaired.

Since it said it didn't repair it I did a Repair Disk Permissions but that didn't seem to fix it.

Could these two issues be the problem and if so how can I fix them?

Thank you for your help.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 3
    MarvinMarvin Posts: 15,326moderator
    I would try doing a safe boot holding shift at startup and reboot after it's booted up. That will clean and rebuild your caches. The Disk Utility messages can probably be ignored:

http://support.apple.com/kb/TS1448?viewlocale=en_US
  • Reply 2 of 3
    markw10markw10 Posts: 356member
    I'm not sure what happened but I ended up doing another Disk Utility on it and it started working now. I had done the same in the past with no luck so maybe I just did something differently this time but fortunately after about a day it still seems to be working. Thank you to everyone for your help. I tried the Safe boot also with restart so it's possible that is what fixed it.
  • Reply 3 of 3
    Run your install DVD that came with the notebook by holding "D" while booting and run the hardware test. I just got my logic board replaced free today in my Santa Rosa. If you have the NVIDIA 8600M GT graphics card then it could be faulty. Running the factorial bench today I found that my MacBook Pro is now twice as fast as it was a year ago.

(null) ("MacBookPro3,1") with 2 cores, running at 2.40 gHz.

Frontside bus: 800.00 mHz

Installed memory: 4.00 GB

200,000,000 factorials will be calculated by creating 2 threads.

Thread # 1 created.

Thread # 2 created.

Waiting for threads to finish...

Thread # 2: 100,000,000 factorials calculated in 7.273503 seconds at 13,748,534 factorials per second.

Thread # 1: 100,000,000 factorials calculated in 7.334293 seconds at 13,634,579 factorials per second.