Apple sees tablet as one device shared by the whole family - WSJ

Posted:
in iPad edited January 2014
The Wall Street Journal dropped a bombshell of tablet and Apple-related information Wednesday evening. Among the new details: Apple sees its tablet as a device that will be shared by multiple family members -- and it might even recognize their faces.

The story reveals a great deal of alleged new information regarding Apple, including details on the Bing negotiations with Microsoft, the "iTunes.com" cloud-based service, TV subscriptions and more.

Reporters Yukari Iwatani Kane and Ethan Smith cited numerous sources familiar with the tablet in revealing that Apple intends to focus its tablet on providing content from multiple "old media" business sources, including textbooks, newspapers and television. Apple has reportedly pitched the tablet as a device that can be shared amongst family members and used for reading news and checking e-mail.

That sharing element, one person said, has been a major focus for Apple in creating the user interface for the device. Interaction with the hardware will be in such a manner that it is "intuitive to share."

"The person said that Apple has experimented with the ability to leave virtual sticky notes on the device and for the gadget to automatically recognize individuals via a built-in camera," the report said. "It's unclear whether these features will be included at launch."

In addition, the report shed more light on Apple's alleged plans to create a cloud-based iTunes service. Called iTunes.com, the service would allow customers to buy music without using the iTunes software. Apple reportedly wants to populate Web sites with "buy" buttons to make it even easier to purchase iTunes content. The Journal was told that Apple intends to launch the service by June.

The article also reaffirmed rumors that surfaced Wednesday that Apple was in talks with Microsoft to bring its Bing search service to its line of devices. But the Journal went one step further and said that Apple and Microsoft could partner for Bing maps as well.

Among other information stated in the Journal's article Wednesday:

The tablet will include a virtual keyboard for text input.

Apple wants to present traditional print content, like newspapers and magazines, "differently" on the device. The company envisions the device for use reading content both at home and in the classroom.

Game maker Electronic Arts is working with Apple on software to demonstrate the game-playing capabilities of the tablet.

As has been rumored for months, Apple is in negotiations with TV networks for a monthly subscription service. The plan would include a "best of TV" subscription for on-demand access to content. It would offer about four to six shows per channel.

Referring to traditional media companies, Apple co-founder Steve Jobs was said to be "supportive of the old guard," a person who once worked with him told the Journal. Jobs allegedly wants to "help them by giving them new forms of distribution."

Comments

• Reply 1 of 124
    its gonna be awesome
  • Reply 2 of 124
    mazda 3smazda 3s Posts: 1,613member
  • Reply 3 of 124
    applepiapplepi Posts: 365member
    I just don't see this thing being a device you share with the family. Even if Apple intends it to be. We no longer live in the age of the family computer. We now live in the age of personal computers for everyone. Especially when we're talking about portable devices.

However if you're talking about a new system that allows people to share stuff between multiple tablets, that's another story. Like some kind of proximity system that can detect tablets near each other and pass files between them. Like passing a virtual piece of paper from one tablet to another by swiping it from one device to the one next to it. That would be very cool.

Still hoping for stylus support. But starting to doubt it.
  • Reply 4 of 124
    takeotakeo Posts: 446member
    Brilliant... little Jimmie picks up the tablet and it automatically has his Power Rangers game and Nickelodeon website links right on the main menu. Dad picks up the tablet and "wosh"... 3D transition effect to show his stock quotes... etc. Leave it to Apple to think of using facial recognition to facilitate fast user switching.
  • Reply 5 of 124
    2 cents2 cents Posts: 307member
    So smart! These are lean times but people don't want to be tech poor (at least I don't). My wife and I share an iPod Touch but it ain't perfect. If they pull this off, I will be getting a tablet sooner rather than later.

Oh, and I know we all hate Bing but an Apple/MS partnership could be just the thing to shake google's dominance. I am not talking about tomorrow, but down the road. Apple could give MS a kick in the pants and a whole new lease on life. They sure do need something.
  • Reply 6 of 124
    poochpooch Posts: 768member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ApplePi View Post

However if you're talking about a new system that allows people to share stuff between multiple tablets, that's another story. Like some kind of proximity system that can detect tablets near each other and pass files between them.

like in avatar where the guy just swiped something off the big screen onto his tablet and walked away, continuing his task without missing a beat. i want one of those!
  • Reply 7 of 124
    charlitunacharlituna Posts: 7,217member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ApplePi View Post

I just don't see this thing being a device you share with the family. Even if Apple intends it to be. We no longer live in the age of the family computer. We now live in the age of personal computers for everyone. Especially when we're talking about portable devices.

However if you're talking about a new system that allows people to share stuff between multiple tablets, that's another story. Like some kind of proximity system that can detect tablets near each other and pass files between them. Like passing a virtual piece of paper from one tablet to another by swiping it from one device to the one next to it. That would be very cool.

i would agree on both counts. I don't buy this multi-user thing. even from the WSJ. I think they are being pwn'd.

but the sort of 'bump' of files and such, that could be awesome.
  • Reply 8 of 124
    intenseintense Posts: 106member
    Holly Molly!

was WSJ supposed to share such info ?
  • Reply 9 of 124
    thrangthrang Posts: 1,009member
    I wonder if this is a circuitous way of preparing the public for a higher-cost product than has been hoped for - $999 per person is nuts, but $999 for the "family" might be more marketable...
  • Reply 10 of 124
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by charlituna View Post

i would agree on both counts. I don't buy this multi-user thing. even from the WSJ. I think they are being pwn'd.

but the sort of 'bump' of files and such, that could be awesome.

I call BS on the entire Story.

As Apple has said there is an App for that. Symplify Media.

If AppleInsider Doesn't Publish This then I will log in under yet a new email address and keep telling the truth to the Kool Aid Drinkers.

If Apple/AppleInsider can't do any better than a log in for security than My MAC address and current IP Address are way over both their heads.

They don't belong in the cloud.
  • Reply 11 of 124
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AngusYoung View Post

I call BS on the entire Story.

I am not so sure. The Wall Street Journal does not make such assertions casually.

This is all probably true.
  • Reply 12 of 124
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Mazda 3s View Post

That's why you're a Vicodin Fan. It keeps you Stupid. Speaking of House of course.
  • Reply 13 of 124
    olternautolternaut Posts: 1,376member
    While on principle I can appreciate this "sharing" technology theory. But I can tell you all one thing......

I'm sure as hell not sharing MYYYY iTablet!!!!
  • Reply 14 of 124
    Looks like Apple might have just re-imagined the family room.

I think that how it's going to be linked to @TV, iPhone, and home computers is going to blow away all expectations and speculation of what its functionality is all about. We may all have been only describing discrete pieces of it, sort of similar to the "Blind Men and the Elephant" (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Blind_men_and_an_elephant).

I am now beginning to think that this could be massively envelope-pushing.

And, it will be called iSlate or Mac Touch (the latter, called by Ireland). Not iPad.
  • Reply 15 of 124
    facial recognition would be amazing if it's implemented in such a way that it works seamlessly- quickly and without quirks or it risks being a gimmick with high hopes similar to the dedicated voice dialing app for the Iphone. To me, the tone of the rumors suggest that this will be something special. I am excited as I have put off replacing my G4 powerbook(only used for light computing) with the hopes that this device would come to fruition.
  • Reply 16 of 124
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Takeo View Post

Brilliant... little Jimmie picks up the tablet and it automatically has his Power Rangers game and Nickelodeon website links right on the main menu. Dad picks up the tablet and "wosh"... 3D transition effect to show his stock quotes... etc. Leave it to Apple to think of using facial recognition to facilitate fast user switching.

Right- and little Jimie spills his Juicy Juice all over said iPad and then daddy cracks him upside the head and Apple gets sued for endangering children!
  • Reply 17 of 124
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Olternaut View Post

While on principle I can appreciate this "sharing" technology theory. But I can tell you all one thing......

I'm sure as hell not sharing MYYYY iTablet!!!!

Do you have a family? (No need to yell, y'know...)
  • Reply 18 of 124
    addaboxaddabox Posts: 12,665member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mrkoolaid View Post

Right- and little Jimie spills his Juicy Juice all over said iPad and the daddy cracks him upside the head and Apple gets sued for endangering a children!

Oh, why stop there? Jimmy knows where Daddy keeps his guns and goes and gets the Glock and blows Daddy's head off, then Mommy goes insane and burns the house down.

Happy now, Apple, you rat bastards?
  • Reply 19 of 124
    freediverxfreediverx Posts: 1,423member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by thrang View Post

I wonder if this is a circuitous way of preparing the public for a higher-cost product than has been hoped for - $999 per person is nuts, but $999 for the "family" might be more marketable...

That was the first thing that came to mind the moment I read they were positioning this as a device to be shared by the family. This would be a clever way to soften the blow of a hefty price tag. In turn this could facilitate the inclusion of an expensive OLED display.
  • Reply 20 of 124
    vinney57vinney57 Posts: 1,162member
    Interesting assertion by the WSJ. The wife and I were actually talking about this today. She wants one, but not all the time. Its going to be pricey ($900 minimum, God knows how many of the Queen's pounds) so we'll 'share'. I shall monopolise it naturally but its interesting that we genuinely did talk about this. My Kool Aid kup runneth over.