Apple extends 27-in. iMac shipment delay to 3 weeks

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited January 2014
Just when it looked like Apple was putting its 27-inch iMac troubles behind it with a balance in supply and demand, the company has abruptly pushed new direct orders of its big screen desktop machines out by three weeks.

While the 21.5-inch models of the new iMac currently ship within 24 hours, as of Thursday new 27-inch iMacs have a three-week estimated shipping time. Only days ago, the Mac maker had improved it supply of the larger models to shipping times of less than a week.

Apple's sudden delay of the new models comes just one week after its authorized resellers began receiving volume shipments of the big-screen models, allowing them to reflect availability for the first time since their introduction last Fall.

Following numerous users-reported screen flickering issues with the 27-inch model, Apple in December notified resellers that new orders would be pushed out by about two weeks. At the same time, the Mac maker apologized for the situation, but did not directly address concerns that hardware issues were to blame for the matter.

Released last October, the newly redesigned iMacs include an edge-to-edge glass design in a seamless all-aluminum enclosure. The new iMacs were an immediate hit with consumers, who made them the best-selling desktop machines in the U.S that same quarter.

However, soon after the launch, reports of issues with the 27-inch iMac began to crop up. Apple moved quickly to address the issue, releasing a software patch meant to remedy the problems plaguing owners.

But for many users, the update wasn't successful in fixing the problem, as posts on the Apple discussion forums have continued to grow (1, 2). The same issues have not been reported with the 21.5-inch models.

Despite Apple's direct-order delays, all of the reseller's tracked by AppleInsider's Mac Price Guide (below) are currently showing availability of most 27-inch iMacs, with a few exceptions:

Comments

• Reply 1 of 75
    I ordered a base model 21.5" iMac last week and got the extended keyboard instead of the small wireless one, and it was expected to ship in 1-3 days, but I received an email this morning saying it had delayed shipping as well. It may be a larger issue than just the 27"...
  • Reply 2 of 75
    djrumpydjrumpy Posts: 1,116member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jdrue View Post

I ordered a base model 21.5" iMac last week and got the extended keyboard instead of the small wireless one, and it was expected to ship in 1-3 days, but I received an email this morning saying it had delayed shipping as well. It may be a larger issue than just the 27"...

I wonder if this is related to the factory strike issues in China?

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2010/01/20/wintek_apple/
  • Reply 3 of 75
    Hmm, how can we force a connection between this and the tablet?
  • Reply 4 of 75
    estyleestyle Posts: 201member
    perhaps there is an upgrade that Apple has made to some feature and will be included with new imacs, but since they are going to announce it at the upcoming event and include it in all imacs sold after a certain day, they are delaying any receipt until after the event.

or maybe they are just having supply side issues
  • Reply 5 of 75
    sandausandau Posts: 1,230member
    ugh, i ordered an i7 on the 15th. It still shows shipping on the 1st... I hope that doesn't change. I feel like a 9 year old kid waiting for the decoder ring to show up in the mail!
  • Reply 6 of 75
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by DJRumpy View Post

I wonder if this is related to the factory strike issues in China?

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2010/01/20/wintek_apple/

The last time Apple had and issue like this with the iMac is was when the first gen ALU iMacs were released. I haven't seen this flickering issue but with my iMac the screen would flicker and then freeze and it turned out to be a firmware issue with the ATI 2600xt cards. Took Apple about four months to get the firmware issue resolved. Not sure if the GPU is the issue in this case.

The other issue is just poor design with the edge to edge glass with such a large screen. Makes it way too easy to chip or crack durning shipping.
  • Reply 7 of 75
    I know this story doesn't leave us with much (or any) indication that this is a mid-cycle update issue, but I do want to remind those reading this thread that there are plenty of Apple customers — mostly design professionals like myself — who are incredibly upset by the lack of matte option on the new iMacs. I don't wish for any bad fortune at Apple, but I am hopeful that their troubles with the newest generation iMacs cause them to re-evaluate its design and structure, and possibly re-instate a matte / anti-glare option for those who are willing to pay for it.
  • Reply 8 of 75
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by rebelmusik View Post

I know this story doesn't leave us with much (or any) indication that this is a mid-cycle update issue, but I do want to remind those reading this thread that there are plenty of Apple customers ? mostly design professionals like myself ? who are incredibly upset by the lack of matte option on the new iMacs. I don't wish for any bad fortune at Apple, but I am hopeful that their troubles with the newest generation iMacs cause them to re-evaluate its design and structure, and possibly re-instate a matte / anti-glare option for those who are willing to pay for it.

Ugh. Give it a rest. If you want to whine about it, start a thread about it so at least the rest of the folks who are interested can go be on-topic in that thread instead of polluting this one.
  • Reply 9 of 75
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by extremeskater View Post

The last time Apple had and issue like this with the iMac is was when the first gen ALU iMacs were released. I haven't seen this flickering issue but with my iMac the screen would flicker and then freeze and it turned out to be a firmware issue with the ATI 2600xt cards. Took Apple about four months to get the firmware issue resolved. Not sure if the GPU is the issue in this case.

The other issue is just poor design with the edge to edge glass with such a large screen. Makes it way too easy to chip or crack durning shipping.

So far mine has behaved perfectly. I couldn't be more pleased. I feel for those that got a bad one though. I know how excited I was to get mine delivered. I can imagine how disappointing it would be to have to send it back.
  • Reply 10 of 75
    crees!crees! Posts: 501member
    I had ordered a custom 27" i7 w/ 8Gb RAM. It was supposed to ship Jan 19th and be delivered Jan 22nd, which is tomorrow. On Jan 20th I received an email update stating it'll ship within the next 7 business days and be delivered between Feb 1st and Feb 3rd.
  • Reply 11 of 75
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by DJRumpy View Post

So far mine has behaved perfectly. I couldn't be more pleased. I feel for those that got a bad one though. I know how excited I was to get mine delivered. I can imagine how disappointing it would be to have to send it back.

Actually I never sent mine back because I knew it had to be something like a firmware issue with the GPU and it would get resolved. It was a bit of a pain for a while but I seemed to be having far less problems them most so I just waited it out. In the end they released a fireware update and I never had an issue after that.

I don't know if this is the same kind of issue but I do feel of the people having problems because it sucks to get something like this and start to have problems. Kind of takes all the fun away.
  • Reply 12 of 75
    Quote:

I know this story doesn't leave us with much (or any) indication that this is a mid-cycle update issue, but I do want to remind those reading this thread that there are plenty of Apple customers ? mostly design professionals like myself ? who are incredibly upset by the lack of matte option on the new iMacs. I don't wish for any bad fortune at Apple, but I am hopeful that their troubles with the newest generation iMacs cause them to re-evaluate its design and structure, and possibly re-instate a matte / anti-glare option for those who are willing to pay for it.

As far as Matte, I think Apple has decided to pick a direction and is simply going to continue in that direction for a while. Apple has moved to all glossy screens even with the MBP which you use to be able to pick between the two. I do agree with you I like a Matte screen but with my MBP I just simply have become use to the glossy so it doesn't really bother me anymore.

I do however find the glass with the iMac annoying which is why I have moved away from buying them which is simply a personal choice. I know alot of people that love them.
  • Reply 13 of 75
    quadra 610quadra 610 Posts: 6,757member
    I've been lucky with all my Macs so far. Then again, I've ever only had three, including a PowerMac 6100/60 from July 1994 to June 2002. That thing was a rock. I miss it.
  • Reply 14 of 75
    mactrippermactripper Posts: 1,328member
    Quote:

Screen flickering sounds like a great excuse to bring back the annoying glare and reflection prone screens.

If Apple would announce, display and offer a application of a matte screen film for all their glossy screen models, perhaps it would be a great solution. A better type of glass with less than 1% surface reflection level would be another great idea.

By the way, not to toot my horn, but it was I that got personally in touch with Steve Jobs and he brought back the 15" matte screen MacBook Pro models a few weeks later.

If you wish to sign a petition to bring back more matte options please visit MacMatte.com, also posting a video on YouTube is highly effective as well..

Keep on screaming and don't buy (edit: a glare prone screen), like many are doing. Apple will come around.
  • Reply 15 of 75
    rbonnerrbonner Posts: 635member
    Quote:

I think your post is very respectful, probably the first I have seen on this issue. Nice job.
  • Reply 16 of 75
    sheffsheff Posts: 1,407member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by acslater017 View Post

Hmm, how can we force a connection between this and the tablet?

The Tablet will be 27 inch touch screen and be called the "imac". You can carry it in your hicking bag. It will do games, all the OSX apps, book reading, social media and much more! You can even attach it to a stand and get a wireless keyboard and mouse to make it into a pretty nice desktop. This tablet is going to cost around $1200 dollars.

I think the delays may have somthing to do with the availability of parts. I believe these things are to use the i7s, maybe apple could not secure enough to meet the demand.
  • Reply 17 of 75
    daharderdaharder Posts: 1,580member
    [CENTER]Personally...

I just wish that Apple would show a bit more transparency regarding these matters.

At this point, the entire situation looks a bit 'shady'[/CENTER]
  • Reply 18 of 75
    jnjnjnjnjnjn Posts: 588member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by MacTripper View Post

Keep on screaming and don't buy, like many are doing. Apple will come around.

Ha ha, we will see on the 25th how many people didn't buy a Mac.

As for the whining; it will get you nowhere, except for a pitiful live.
  • Reply 19 of 75
    jetlawjetlaw Posts: 156member
    I am not trying to force a connection between this and the "tablet," but I thought I remembered that these large-screen iMacs were having glass failures in shipping and I "know" that Apple has been investigating glass-strengthening options for the tablet. Maybe that process or technology will find its way to other Apple devices that use lots of glass.
  • Reply 20 of 75
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by estyle View Post

perhaps there is an upgrade that Apple has made to some feature and will be included with new imacs, but since they are going to announce it at the upcoming event and include it in all imacs sold after a certain day, they are delaying any receipt until after the event.

or maybe they are just having supply side issues

i suspect perhaps one or more of several things

1. high demand for the 27 inch models in general

2. folks that were totally convinced by the blog talk that the display and delivery issues were 100% across the board on every model were waiting and some of them might have figured that the problem is solved now so they decided to jump in (at least solved enough they could be lucky)

3. folks got end of the year bonus checks, taxes done very quickly etc and have the cash to order and are now in the mix

4. and perhaps the biggest of all. the company in China that went on strike over exposure to potentially toxic chemicals while working on computer and phone display glass is an Apple supplier and they can't get the glass they need until that situation is resolved.