Sources detail physical design of Apple's upcoming tablet device

Comments

• Reply 221 of 257
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:

The only thing I can think of to give your idea any validity is the need for a plastic piece for radio signals and the rumour that there is a plastic bar going the length of the device along one edge. However, your idea of a built-in stand does prevent the device from being viewed in portrait mode which makes Addabox?s easel idea more likely as it can be used for both portrait and landscape.
  • Reply 222 of 257
    olternautolternaut Posts: 1,376member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Ireland View Post

Interesting. I've been trying to figure out the one "gotcha" about this product that no one has realized yet. Nobody expected the final design of the original iPhone and I suspect that there is something about this new product that no one has considered yet.

And it's driving me crazy!!
  • Reply 223 of 257
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

2) Having half my useable display go away because I need to type something is not going to overthrow the notebook market.

From what I've seen I'm not seeing a keyboard as we know it today.

I'm seeing floating letters appear left then right, left then right as you type. Depending on what you type it will predict the choice if the floating letters. Therefore rather than a dull keyboard you'll get floating letters where they'd normally be positioned on a keyboard. Much faster than letter selection as you don't have other keys they get hit by mistake. You can space them out far enough to avoid mistakes. Double tap for space and so on. H?ll you'll even be able to pinch the size of the floating keyboard space like on the original Jeff Ham demostration.

I dont think they will be attempting to jam a laptop into a tablet design. That's been done before & failed. This is not trying to be a laptop & truth be told how many people use their laptops beyond web and mail.
  • Reply 224 of 257
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Olternaut View Post

Interesting. I've been trying to figure out the one "gotcha" about this product that no one has realized yet. Nobody expected the final design of the original iPhone and I suspect that there is something about this new product that no one has considered yet.

And it's driving me crazy!!

• Reply 225 of 257
    Yuck, yuck -- and I don't mean funny.
  • Reply 226 of 257
    ivan.rnn01ivan.rnn01 Posts: 1,822member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Rogzilla View Post

...try again, in GOOD english. I will happily answer the question if you can make just a small degree of sense.

What good English, janitor? Just brush up yours a bit. You do need it.
  • Reply 227 of 257

This is what the iPad, iTouch etc will most probably look like with 2 home buttons on either side catering for left & right handers.

It sure would be nice if it also supported file sharing, printing & had a big storage ( 64gB or bigger) capacity to enable it to be plugged into a HDTV & watch the movies/tv shows rented/bought off the iTunes store. Or maybe even connect to the Tv wirelessly with an adaptor so you can sit on the couch & control it. A mobile Apple TV?

Hopefully this new device will have some sort of a combination of both Mac OSX & the iPhone OS... & hopefully a usb port for more connectivity options.

Whatever it is, I thinks its a given that it's gonna be something revolutionary that people see and think, oh yeah I need one of those..
  • Reply 228 of 257
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by trevbucky View Post

image: http://images.theage.com.au/2009/12/30/1005129/appletablet_420-420x0.jpg[/IMG]

This is what the iPad, iTouch etc will most probably look like with 2 home buttons on either side catering for left & right handers.

It sure would be nice if it also supported file sharing, printing & had a big storage ( 64gB or bigger) capacity to enable it to be plugged into a HDTV & watch the movies/tv shows rented/bought off the iTunes store. Or maybe even connect to the Tv wirelessly with an adaptor so you can sit on the couch & control it. A mobile Apple TV?

Hopefully this new device will have some sort of a combination of both Mac OSX & the iPhone OS... & hopefully a usb port for more connectivity options.

Whatever it is, I thinks its a given that it's gonna be something revolutionary that people see and think, oh yeah I need one of those..

So I have two buttons when holding it in portrait mode, but no buttons when holding it in landscape. I also have to let go of one hand to use access the Dock at the bottom of the display and to use long sweeping hand movements to change albums.

All of that should be screaming nein nein nein to you. It?s not natural, it?s not intuitive, it?s not user friendly. Does the mockup look cool? Sure, but that is where it ends.
  • Reply 229 of 257
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    Quote:

Want you mean.
  • Reply 230 of 257
    ivan.rnn01ivan.rnn01 Posts: 1,822member
    Quote:

So I have two buttons when holding it in portrait mode, but no buttons when holding it in landscape. I also have to let go of one hand to use access the Dock at the bottom of the display and to use long sweeping hand movements to change albums.

All of that should be screaming nein nein nein to you. It’s not natural, it’s not intuitive, it’s not user friendly. Does the mockup look cool? Sure, but that is where it ends.

Wish I had as much of the gift in pedagogy as you do. When I see the picture of iPhone cut, stretched, rotated and clipped with the picture of iPhone screen, I have intention not to discuss technical details but to call dirty names instead.
  • Reply 231 of 257
    Quote:

Was thinking along the same lines. The dock could have firewire & USB INPUTS. Maybe even have an "Pro" dock with a dedicated GPU and HD tuner.

The biggest problem I see is the response time of the lcd. The iP Touch screen is horrible for watching any fast motion.
  • Reply 232 of 257
    I'm now convinced it will borrow it's nomenclature from the iPod touch... they'll call it.........

iPod Much?

• Reply 233 of 257
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SpamSandwich View Post

I'm now convinced it will borrow it's nomenclature from the iPod touch... they'll call it.........

iPod Much?

I was fully expecting that to read Mac touch. Now though given there is new talk (2 NY publishers spoke to 9To5) about it costing: "nowhere near $1,000" it may not be the device I'm looking for at all.
  • Reply 234 of 257
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

When Apple finally takes the wraps off its long-anticipated tablet next Wednesday, the device will strike a familiar chord with owners of the original iPhone, with similarities in industrial design trickling all the way down to the handset's button and connectivity components, AppleInsider has learned.

Nearly two and a half years have passed since AppleInsider exclusively reported in September of 2007 that the Cupertino-based gadget maker planned to follow the blockbuster success of the iPhone with a broader entry into consumer electronics, spearheaded by a completely new category of device akin to a "slate" and reminiscent of a modern-day reincarnation of the company's now defunct Newton tablet.

Since then, Apple has surprised in its capacity to work alongside dozens of partners and still maintain a relatively tight lid of the product's design, feature set, and software-driven functionality. Though recent weeks have been met by a flurry of reports on Apple's likely intentions for the device, a 28-month trail of rumors and speculation have left onlookers with exponentially more questions than answers.

One lingering uncertainty has surrounded the device's aesthetic or, more precisely, what it may look and feel like in a user's hands. According to people familiar with the device, it's largely redolent of a first-generation iPhone that's met its match with a rolling pin.

Of all the mockups and renderings that have surfaced on the Web attempting to depict what the final product will look like, the rendition below created by Flickr user Fotoboer.nl last August is strikingly close to the real deal, those same people say. It would be more precise, they add, if it weren't missing a handful of design elements of the iPhone.

Nestled in an aluminum shell that leverages the Apple's expertise in unibody construction but thinner proportionality than the original iPhone, the tablet reportedly sports all of the same buttons found on the handset, right down to its iconic home button -- which, like the volume toggle, is missing from the rendering.*

Similarly, the tablet is said to sport all the same in/out connectivity as the current iPhone 3GS, including a 3.5-mm stereo headphone jack, built-in speaker grills, a* microphone, GPS, 3G connectivity and a 30-pin dock connector. Like the rendering, its 10-inch display is framed by a black border that bleeds into its wrap-around aluminum enclosure.*

Meanwhile, other people with proven track records in predicting Apple's future product designs have recently commented on prototypes of the Apple tablet making the rounds with a baseband chip compatible with CDMA networks like those operated by U.S.-based Verzion Wireless. However, AppleInsider cannot confirm with any degree of certainty that this technology is planned for the shipping version of the product.

For a comprehensive archive of all rumors surrounding Apple's tablet device, readers can check out AppleInsider's Newton and tablet topics pages, or review its exclusive reports on the product (below) dating back to the fall of 2007. Also of potential interest may be a recent feature article: The inside track on Apple's tablet: a history of tablet computing.

Up next for Apple: the return of the Newton - September 2007

Mega Apple filing details next-gen 'multi-touch input surface' - February 2008

Apple details next-gen multi-touch techniques for tablet Macs - August 2008

Apple pushing for patent on versatile tablet docking station - November 2008

Apple orders 10-inch touchscreens for mystery product- March 2009

Apple's much-anticipated tablet device coming early next year - July 2009

Poor bets placed on Apple taking dual tablet route - August 2009

Evidence of Apple's tablet-like input interface reappears - October 2009

Apple confirms Jan. 27 media event to show off 'latest creation' - January 2010

• Reply 235 of 257
    Quote:

...it may not be the device I'm looking for at all.

I think that is the reason I’ve been at odds with your vision of a tablet. You’re posting what you want it will be while I’ve been posting what I think it will be.
  • Reply 236 of 257
    carniphagecarniphage Posts: 1,984member
    Quote:

It may not be the device I'm looking for at all.

No sh*t, Sherlock!

But to be fair, I don't think you will be alone in your disappointment.

C.
  • Reply 237 of 257
    Quote:

I think that is the reason I’ve been at odds with your vision of a tablet. You’re posting what you want it will be while I’ve been posting what I think it will be.

I was posing what I think it will be, I just hope Apple has to the balls to attempt the type of revolution I imagine. And a 10" iPod touch isn't it.
  • Reply 238 of 257
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Carniphage View Post

No sh*t, Sherlock!

With no inside knowledge you can't make that assumption.
  • Reply 239 of 257
    Quote:

I was posing what I think it will be, I just hope Apple has to the balls to attempt the type of revolution I imagine. And a 10" iPod touch isn't it.

If shoehorning Mac OS X into a 10? tablet is your idea of revolution we aren?t even speaking the same language. I?ve used Mac OS X on a 10? netbook where the keyboard is real and doesn?t cover half the screen and it?s not a good experience. A desktop OS is simply not designed for such a small screen.

I think you need to stop going full tilt to the other end of the spectrum by thinking "giant iPod Touch? is the only other option. There is a huge area in the middle with HW and Sw designed specifically to interact with a 10? portable device. To me this seems the obvious and logical place for an Apple tablet to fall.
  • Reply 240 of 257
    antkm1antkm1 Posts: 1,441member
    Quote:

I can see why you don't work in Apple's ID department. This is totally impractical; and if you know anything about SJ, you'll remember that he hates moving parts on his devices. Look at what happened to the click wheel...One of the reasons why they never adoped the stylus as well. Just one more thing to break or loose.