Mac OS X 10.6.3 to deliver QuickTime, 64-bit Logic, OpenGL enhancements

Posted:
in macOS edited January 2014
A third planned maintenance and security update to Apple's Mac OS X 10.6 Snow Leopard operating system will include significant enhancements to QuickTime X while also improving printing and Logic performance, AppleInsider has learned.

The advancements were reportedly detailed alongside a new beta of Mac OS X 10.6.3 released to a subset of the Mac maker's developer community on Friday, carrying build number 10D538.

It arrives roughly two weeks after company issued build 10D522, which included the foundation for supporting OpenGL 3.0 -- the latest version of an industry standard, cross-platform programming interface for writing applications that produce 2D and 3D computer graphics.

More specifically, people familiar with Friday's beta say it includes an update to QuickTime X that, when finalized, will improve security and compatibility while simultaneously enhancing overall reliability. The release will also include tweaks that aim to enhance the performance of Apple's 64-bit Logic pro audio suite. Other planned improvements include better compatibility with third-party printers and OpenGL-grounded applications, those same people say.

In addition to those areas, Apple is reportedly asking developers to focus their evaluation efforts on a few other core system components, such as AirPort, VoiceOver and graphics drivers.

Only one known issue -- related to photo albums viewed via the company's Front Row media center software -- is said to be plaguing the latest beta. The 665+ megabyte release is expected to be made public sometime in the next six weeks.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 107
    bartfatbartfat Posts: 434member
    Will this finally mean that I can fullscreen videos in while they're playing with Quicktime in Safari?
  • Reply 2 of 107
    Quicktime does need fixing, for sure. Like it or not .wmv has been pretty much established, you can't have quicktime not being able to skip ahead...
  • Reply 3 of 107
    mactrippermactripper Posts: 1,328member
    Wow! 665+ megabyte! So Snow Leopard isn't really out of beta yet.

That's ok, I can wait further, Leopard is running just fine on my machine.
  • Reply 4 of 107
    cosmocosmo Posts: 662member
    I would love to see an update that allows QTX to play .m4v/.mp4 files that have a AC3 soundtrack.
  • Reply 5 of 107
    mactelmactel Posts: 1,275member
    Something tells me this release will have some new features beyond what is rumored or known. That something is the Jan 27th event.
  • Reply 6 of 107
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by MacTripper View Post

Maybe you could switch to an OS with 4 service packs of 600 mbs, and daily junkware updates.
  • Reply 7 of 107
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by MacTel View Post

Something tells me this release will have some new features beyond what is rumored or known. That something is the Jan 27th event.

It is unlikely that a minor maintenance OS release would have significant changes to functionality.

More likely, such changes would be introduced in a new version of iTunes. It's possible that underlying support libraries, etc. are being prepped for a future release of enhanced functionality, but I wouldn't hold your breath about it drastically changing your system.

Also, it is more likely that Apple is announcing one or more new devices that will not ship for several months, thus giving their engineers more time to finalize software changes. I'm also guessing that the unwieldy size of this 10.6.3 update is largely due to new printer drivers.
  • Reply 8 of 107
    dcj001dcj001 Posts: 301member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by MacTripper View Post

10.7.0 should be out around September 2011, if you want to wait a while, or in case you don't have $29 to spend, or if you're just afraid of the unknown, or if ...
  • Reply 9 of 107
    eehdeehd Posts: 137member
    At this point, I only care about one problem, a big problem: Flash. APPLE, FIX F*CKING FLASH CRASHES IN SAFARI!!
  • Reply 10 of 107
    bertpbertp Posts: 274member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by MacTel View Post

I agree. I am hoping that a enhanced 64-bit capable QT in SL 10.6.3 will be compatible (import/export) with a 64- bit capable iLife10. I have iLife08, but found that exporting to QT required QT7. I understand that iLife09 can export to the current QTX, but also, they are only 32-bit capable. It will be interesting what functions will be added back into QT, and what new functions will be in both QTX and iLife10 or perhaps iLifeX. iLife09 came out in Jan09 and is due for an update. Plus, possible tie-ins with this so-called tablet?
  • Reply 11 of 107
    bertpbertp Posts: 274member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by eehd View Post

At this point, I only care about one problem, a big problem: Flash. APPLE, FIX F*CKING FLASH CRASHES IN SAFARI!!

Try http://rentzsch.github.com/clicktoflash/ as a temporary solution. The responsible party probably is Adobe. Are you using Safari 4? It will run plug-ins like Flash in a separate process from Safari.
  • Reply 12 of 107
    pg4gpg4g Posts: 383member
    Quote:

Flash is not Apple's responsibility. It's Adobe's. And Adobe shows no sign of caring about mac functionality. That's why many of us avoid Flash entirely, or use ClickToFlash.
  • Reply 13 of 107
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by cvaldes1831 View Post

It is unlikely that a minor maintenance OS release would have significant changes to functionality.

More likely, such changes would be introduced in a new version of iTunes. It's possible that underlying support libraries, etc. are being prepped for a future release of enhanced functionality, but I wouldn't hold your breath about it drastically changing your system.

Also, it is more likely that Apple is announcing one or more new devices that will not ship for several months, thus giving their engineers more time to finalize software changes. I'm also guessing that the unwieldy size of this 10.6.3 update is largely due to new printer drivers.

My thoughts exactly.

I run several other operating systems, and tons of applications, on my Mac in addition to OS X, so I can no longer just upgrade on a whim without knowing for sure it's not going to be broken or performance hobbled.

There seems to be a lot of change in the air with Snow Leopard too, so I would have to wait until the dust settles first.
  • Reply 14 of 107
    Quote:

I had this problem all the time and saw a post in one of these Apple rumor sites that pointed me to instructions on how to completely remove all components of flash. After I did that and reinstalled the latest version (non-beta) and it hasn't crashed for quite awhile now. I had forgot about the crashes until you mentioned it.
  • Reply 15 of 107
    Quote:

Use Firefox, it just got upgraded to 3.6 and is a lot faster.

Install the NoScript ad-on, it's a firewall of sorts for scripts, so they won't run without your ok first.

Be surprised how much hostile crap is going on using Flash, Java and Javascript, also click jacking attempts, web bugs, etc.

Install the BetterPrivacy add-on to automatically erase hidden Flash cookies that are used to track you.
  • Reply 16 of 107
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Cosmo View Post

I would love to see an update that allows QTX to play .m4v/.mp4 files that have a AC3 soundtrack.

Doesn't perian let you do that? I know I've had to mess about with that issue before.
  • Reply 17 of 107
    How long before TRIM support for SSD's?
  • Reply 18 of 107
    thrangthrang Posts: 1,007member
    Please get rid of the overlayed buttons in QT Player...

I find extremely annoying. Just give an option for a traditional controller beneath the content - I'll compromise - you can auto-hide it until you move the mouse and then have the controller drop down beneath the content.

I barely use the QT Player now, and use the latest version of VLC instead.
  • Reply 19 of 107
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by OccamsAftershave View Post

How long before TRIM support for SSD's?

Good point. But I think TRIM is not yet finalised as protocol is ssd's themselves so apple is waiting it out until they have something solid to offer. But I could be wrong.
  • Reply 20 of 107
    I personally find it ridiculous: almost 700 MB update and basically just one QT update, the rest is only for those who use Logic software. Why not to make a patch aside: download it only if you use it?

Also those downloadable updates are huge especially if u compare it to the size of the OS.