To FCE or Not?

Posted:
in Mac Software edited January 2014
Hello,

HELP!!! I'm trying to figure out if using FCE will be a one-stop-shopping to solve my various getting to DVD issues. Pretty new to Mac in general and even newer to iMovie/iDVD '08 etc. Money is an issue but open to new camera suggestions if that will help down the road.

Ideally, I want to take video from HD cameras (both still and camcorders) and burn them onto DVDs. Some bells and whistles like titles are nice but what I'm really looking to do is have it the most SIMPLE process possible. I have been converting, exporting, importing, trying to get audio to match with video, trying to find out why half some video green, half blue etc. etc. and while I have read many posts and had many helpful suggestions to individual problems, I still come across stumbling blocks. Once I seem to solve one, another appears that involves getting everything from iMovie '06, iMovie '09, different codecs, etc. I am open to upgrading/downgrading whatever, but I don't know which ultimately is right.

This is mainly what I'm trying to accomplish:

1) Using still and/or camcorder (both HD) and burn the video in HD onto a DVD.

2) It's for personal use but due to sentimental value, quality is important

3) Edit a little, add a few titles, maybe some pics--nothing super fancy

4) I don't want to have to know or even think about frame rates, formats and conversions if possible. Despite tons of forums on those, it's too complicated and time consuming for me to learn at this moment in time.

Is there an overall consensus that Apple users agree on that can satisfy what I've listed here?

Many thanks.