Accept Update?

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
How do I know if or when I should accept an update? How do I know if it is something that is behind the scenes and necessary, is it legit or just on a "need to use" basis? How do I know the difference?

These are some examples of what software is currently available per my updates:

Java for Mac OS X 10.5 Update 6 version 1.0

Remote Desktop Client Update version 3.3.2

Digital Camera Ray Compatib... version 2.7

Security Update 2010-001 version 1

I assume they are all OK but do I really need them? Also, the Java update listed has not been installed or opened, yet I noticed one day it was sitting in my trash can. How can it be two places at once? Why is it in the trash and in my "software update" to-do list? Why are the sizes different? The updates says the Java is 123MB but in the trash the same one is 139.1MB. Why?

Thanks!

Comments

• Reply 1 of 3
    backtomacbacktomac Posts: 4,579member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by dgc0225 View Post

How do I know if or when I should accept an update? How do I know if it is something that is behind the scenes and necessary, is it legit or just on a "need to use" basis? How do I know the difference?

These are some examples of what software is currently available per my updates:

Java for Mac OS X 10.5 Update 6 version 1.0

Remote Desktop Client Update version 3.3.2

Digital Camera Ray Compatib... version 2.7

Security Update 2010-001 version 1

I assume they are all OK but do I really need them? Also, the Java update listed has not been installed or opened, yet I noticed one day it was sitting in my trash can. How can it be two places at once? Why is it in the trash and in my "software update" to-do list? Why are the sizes different? The updates says the Java is 123MB but in the trash the same one is 139.1MB. Why?

Thanks!

A wise move is too always have a backup before doing any updates or major system changes, like adding new software. With Time Machine its easy, but you can also get a *free* version of Carbon Copy Cloner or SuperDuper! which can be used to make a clone backup of your hard drive.

If an update actually makes your system unstable then you can always go back to a stable state. If you have a backup, you needn't worry to much about updates because you've got an escape route. I've never had an update make my system unstable yet, but some people have. If you're still concerned that an update might make your Mac unstable then wait a few days after an update has been released and check threads here or at Apple to make sure there aren't a lot of users reporting problems with that update.

In general though updates are a *good* thing. Often they don't have much of a noticeable effect but sometimes can and do make things (apps and OSX) faster, more secure and more stable.
  • Reply 2 of 3
    quadra 610quadra 610 Posts: 6,757member
    Just update. You'll be fine.

You obviously have a backup system in place, so no need to worry.
  • Reply 3 of 3
    Apple updates are good 99% of the time. Backups are fine for the other 1%. You shouldn't ignore Java and security updates.