Apple plans second fix for flickering 27-inch iMacs - reports

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited January 2014
Soon after Apple delayed shipments of its big screen 27-inch iMac, various users have begun to report from AppleCare technicians that a second fix for screen flickering affecting the hardware is due within 3 weeks.

In a thread on the Apple Discussions forums that spans nearly 250 pages, users have begun to report conversations with AppleCare representatives who claim a new update is forthcoming. A month ago, Apple released a software fix for the flickering issue on the 27-inch iMac, but since then users have said it did not address the problem.

One user, Dennis Murphy, said he was told that AppleCare technicians were issued a bulletin on Saturday that stated a fix would be released in about three weeks. The Apple employee was allegedly instructed to collect customer contact information so they can be reached when the fix is released.

"This would clearly explain the extended shipping times we're seeing," Murphy wrote on the forums.

Last week, Apple delayed shipment of new direct-order 27-inch iMacs by three weeks. Supply issues have persisted for months, with Apple in December apologizing for the delays.

Another poster, GuiltyVerdict, wrote Saturday that an Apple representative told them a combination software and driver patch is due in roughly three weeks.

"This will reportedly resolve the issue of the screen flickering (it is not hardware causing the issue)," the user wrote.

The three weeks allegedly cited by AppleCare technicians would coincide with the existing three-week wait time for direct orders of 27-inch iMacs.

However, when contacted by AppleInsider Monday, an Apple representative said the three-week delay was not related to any hardware issues. Instead, they said the company has had trouble meeting up with demand for the new system, as some components are in limited availability.

Still others have indicated system's internal graphics card cable could be the culprit. User ferris666 said they spoke with a technician who said the problem with the cable could not be fixed with a firmware update, though the "simple fix" has been implemented in newly produced machines.

While most of the reports are tied to the 27-inch model, there are also users who have experienced the same symptoms with the 21.5-inch model. When it debuted in October, the new iMac was the best-selling desktop in the U.S. for the month. Various issues were reported quickly, though the screen flickering has remained for some time.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 32
    al_bundyal_bundy Posts: 1,525member
    has anyone seen this issue in an Apple store? strange that no one noticed a yellow tinge there
  • Reply 2 of 32
    I wonder what this means for me? My brand new 27inch is at the Apple store right now getting repaired with either a new 4850 or new logic board as the technician ordered both. I dropped it off on the 21st and haven't heard anything yet. Im gonna call today.. I want it back but not in 3 weeks.
  • Reply 3 of 32
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by al_bundy View Post

has anyone seen this issue in an Apple store? strange that no one noticed a yellow tinge there

I have seen it on a screen displayed in a John Lewis store. The screen looked pretty much like a disco-light
  • Reply 4 of 32
    mikefmikef Posts: 698member
    I'm kind of glad I held off on purchasing one of these (thanks to the i7 shipping delay )... I think I'll wait for next gen to be sure the problems are gone.
  • Reply 5 of 32
    dr_lhadr_lha Posts: 236member
    I await the fix with bated breath. We have 2 Core i7 27' iMacs at work here, and both have the flickering/screen corruption issue. No yellow tinge luckily.
  • Reply 6 of 32
    tbelltbell Posts: 3,146member
    When you buy a brand new product to the line up there always can be issues that pop up. Especially with Apple, since it tries to innovate. I always wait for at least the second generation until I pull the trigger. Even then I wait a month or two into the product release.

I, however, am happy others are testing the waters.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by mikef View Post

I'm kind of glad I held off on purchasing one of these (thanks to the i7 shipping delay )... I think I'll wait for next gen to be sure the problems are gone.

• Reply 7 of 32
    I've got the 21.5" iMac and have no problems.

Great machine!
  • Reply 8 of 32
    dr_lhadr_lha Posts: 236member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by TBell View Post

When you buy a brand new product to the line up there always can be issues that pop up. Especially with Apple, since it tries to innovate. I always wait for at least the second generation until I pull the trigger. Even then I wait a month or two into the product release.

Would you really consider the new iMacs to be a first generation product though? Sure, they're the first 27' ones I guess.
  • Reply 9 of 32
    Glad I've had no problems with my i7. Been working great since I bought it 3 weeks ago.
  • Reply 10 of 32
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by TBell View Post

I, however, am happy others are testing the waters.

I never considered this to be a new product..If i waited for the 2nd or 3rd revision, hell it might have a 30inch screen by then. I am not to bothered by my problems with my new iMac. Apple is doing everything to fix it, free of cost...i just luckily live near a Apple store so its not a big deal. Just miss it
  • Reply 11 of 32
    macnycmacnyc Posts: 342member
    I returned my quad imac and got a new one. The last one would pixelate and freeze. I would have to do a hard restart. Nothing Apple online did would fix it. So far so good with the new one. I hope I'm not jinxing myself by writing this!
  • Reply 12 of 32
    I don't have the screen flickering on my 27, but since the 'fix' whenever the 'waiting' circle appears (not the beach ball), it is in a square patch that looks like TV noise in the background. Very odd. Maybe Applecare will be a good investment on this one... or maybe Apple will extend the warranty if there are issues they can't patch... Everything else is AOK.
  • Reply 13 of 32
    mazda 3smazda 3s Posts: 1,613member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

Still others have indicated the culprit is the system's internal graphics card cable could be the culprit.

• Reply 14 of 32
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by alectheking View Post

I wonder what this means for me? My brand new 27inch is at the Apple store right now getting repaired with either a new 4850 or new logic board as the technician ordered both. I dropped it off on the 21st and haven't heard anything yet. Im gonna call today.. I want it back but not in 3 weeks.

Listen, I had something like this happen to me before.

Just keep sending it back or until Apple give you your money back or works a trade for a different reliable version of a Mac.

The reason I say this is a hardware design flaw is a design flaw, patches in software just mask the problem enough that it gets by.

Later you will have issues, if not from the flaw itself, but from all the fingers messing with your well thought out, highly engineered, assembled with robots, factory state of machine.

I had the first issue PowerMac G5 duallie and the processors made this horrible beeping sound, Apple ignored the issue because they couldn't fix it. They did provide a "turn off nap mode" System preference or something for developers that did fix the issue, but shortened the lifetime of the processors because they wouldn't rest (or nap). This of course made the fans rev at a higher speed and distract you, so another software was used to set the fans at a higher but steady consistent clip so they wouldn't rev. What a frigging pain in the ass! Not only that, I had to install a devices on my power and audio lines to prevent the beeping and the ground noise messing with my audio channels. Apple caught all sorts of hell from every direction on that machine.

My advice is never buy a first issue product unless your willing to handle the early adopter issues that arise. If it's defective in any way, get your money back and get a device that's reliable. Your going to be using it for many many years, and a product with known defects is going to affect the resale price.

Oh, I would like to add that the iMac isn't a open machine, where if you want a larger hard drive, better graphics card or your monitor flakes out you can't simply install a new one like you can with a Mac Pro. Also the performance is better on a Mac Pro even though they might share the same powerful processor.

I got quoted a whopping $600 from a reseller to upgrade a MBP with a substandard 5400 RPM Seagate drive. I opted to do it myself with a $100 higher quality, 7,200 RPM Hitachi drive.
  • Reply 15 of 32
    sandausandau Posts: 1,230member
    I ordered an i7 from apple which was delayed until early Feb. I cancelled that and bought an i5 on thursday of last week from Amazon which arrived on Friday. It's been flawless....except for the stupid magic mouse which decided it didn't want to be 'magic' anymore. Time to reset pram.

No yellow, no flickering, seems great. Screen is fabulous. Serial number says its from last week of 2009.
  • Reply 16 of 32
    motleemotlee Posts: 122member
    One technician says it's repairable with a patch and another says the opposite? That sounds about par for the course the way these rumors go lately.
  • Reply 17 of 32
    chris_cachris_ca Posts: 2,543member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Motlee View Post

One technician says it's repairable with a patch and another says the opposite? That sounds about par for the course the way these rumors go lately.

I believe that the word "technician" is being applied rather loosely to AppleCare phone representatives.

They can only spew what they have been told or what is in their manuals or what they can guess at.
  • Reply 18 of 32
    mikefmikef Posts: 698member
    The worst possible outcome for Apple is for to be a hardware problem. They will go to every extent possible to attempt this can be fixed in software. Ultimately, if it's a driver issue, great. Simple fix, otherwise it's time for a recall...
  • Reply 19 of 32
    motleemotlee Posts: 122member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Chris_CA View Post

I believe that the word "technician" is being applied rather loosely to AppleCare phone representatives.

They can only spew what they have been told or what is in their manuals or what they can guess at.

Either way. Recently it seems to be about 12-24 hours before a new rumor debunks/contradicts an old rumor.
  • Reply 20 of 32
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Motlee View Post

that's part of why I don't buy this talk.

Yes Apple is likely working on solving the problem. Yes they are probably requiring all returns to go to a Genius Bar (unless the person is in an area without any Apple Stores) so they can test and get info to speed up the development of said problem.

What I don't buy is that anyone would tell a customer that yes it's a hardware problem or it's just a driver issue or anything AND then say that a fix is coming in X time. That's not Apple's style. They don't say anything until they feel they know exactly what it is and how they are going to act and/or the software is ready. And it's too pat that this reply says 3 weeks just like the shipping on the web site (although I picked up an i5 for work on Friday no problem at my local store).

Plus this isn't coming via an announcement from Apple. It's a user on some board. Someone we don't know from Jack. How do we know exactly what was said and what is assumption based on other rumors floating around. We don't. So I for one am not marking my calendar for anything