richlrichl Posts: 2,213member
    Fantastic Mac sales.
  • Reply 42 of 97
    aaarrrggghaaarrrgggh Posts: 1,609member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by davebarnes View Post

Lots of info in the 10Q

http://yahoo.brand.edgar-online.com/...Ys-H6EB3b0ShX7

Thanks. Lot to read through, but the important info is that it is in fact a 50% increase on non-subscription based accounting, previous numbers are amended. Some strange cash/investment things to look through... but AAPL should soar. Strange that the market seems to be negative on it-- pre-planned strategy?
  • Reply 43 of 97
    solsunsolsun Posts: 763member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Archipellago View Post

Shares sinking after hours...now down below $200

Not anymore, they are back up to $201 now.. Down about .75% from the close.
  • Reply 44 of 97
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ifail View Post

LOL okay.... i like macs but lets be realistic, Microsoft has a stranglehold on both enterprise and home market. Chrome = weak and lol at Ubuntu and Linux (linux meh, Ubuntu is good though) Apple selling just 3 million macs a quarter isnt going to catch the juggernaut beast that is Microsoft in Operating System Marketshare.

Long time ago, there was a car manufacturer called GM and a smaller one called Toyota...You know the rest of story. To me MS is following in the footsteps of GM.
  • Reply 45 of 97
    aaarrrggghaaarrrgggh Posts: 1,609member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Booga View Post

They gained a couple million more iPhone sales than they lost in iPod sales (8% decline to 21M vs 100% increase to 8.7M)... how can that be a bad thing?

True... not that bad, but factoring out the lost iPods you have 56% growth. That is more "on par" for expectations. ASP and margins are helping them a lot... wonder how long it will hold up.
  • Reply 46 of 97
    ifailifail Posts: 463member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

Why mention PC sales from a company and then compare to the OS sales of another company? Why fault Apple for choosing to make an OS to go with their PCs instead of faulting PC companies that choose to be slaves to an OS maker due to their ineptitude in software development?

I wasnt the one who brought the initial comparisons up, the person i quoted did. None of these companies like Acer (who is keen to push Chrome) or Dell can single handedly make their own OS, because no one will just jump ship from an established platform. Chrome has a massive uphill battle against the established norm.

Its taken years for Apple to get established where it is now and get support that isnt completely laughable. You can confidently buy a mac and not worry about finding out if mac has a viable option to X program unless its made exclusively by microsoft.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Eideard View Post

Yup, and the iPod and iPhone will never catch on, the MacBooks will never be a significant part of the laptop market - and stick with buying MSFT...

Yeah, right.

What? What are you trying to debate? Who said anything about the iPod or iPhone catching on?
  • Reply 47 of 97
    markbmarkb Posts: 153member
    Obviously great growth from last year. It was a reasonable beat of the streets expectations. The 41% margin and record Mac sales offsetting the "disappointing" 400k unit iPhone miss.

I think the stock will putter or tank prior to Weds. There is enough confusion surrounding the accounting change. They should have announce it a week prior or leaked it or whatever. Most analysts were the kids asleep in Algerbra, counting beyond 10 takes time (have to remove their shoes). There is no way AAPL is going to maintain 4!% margins going into next quarter and no new product is going to impact the financials for the quarter we are already in. Maybe Mac sales will keep on keepin on and maybe (please!) iPhone sales will really accelerate in China.
  • Reply 48 of 97
    quadra 610quadra 610 Posts: 6,757member
    So iPhone sales missed expectations but still set a record?
  • Reply 49 of 97
    I would certainly hope that eventually iPod sales would suffer due to iPhone sales. Seems only natural.

This just shows how far behind the curve MS is with their current Zune catch-up device.

Once the iPhone is offered by other US carriers it's game over.
  • Reply 50 of 97
    ilogicilogic Posts: 298member
    Quote:

LOL okay.... i like macs but lets be realistic, Microsoft has a stranglehold on both enterprise and home market. Chrome = weak and lol at Ubuntu and Linux (linux meh, Ubuntu is good though) Apple selling just 3 million macs a quarter isnt going to catch the juggernaut beast that is Microsoft in Operating System Marketshare.

It doesn't have to catch up, Apple is on fire right now with increasing mind share. Windows 7 will be around as long as XP has been around. The problem is that it's an aging architecture, they won't be able to hide its crippled underbelly behind a nice new interface update for much longer. The game is up. OS X is far more advanced and user friendly which allows it to run circles around Windows. I don't feel the need to give you examples, but Spaces, Quick Look, Preview play, Automator are rich examples of thoroughbred OS X capabilities.

The real cat that will topple Windows has not yet been released...
  • Reply 51 of 97
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Quadra 610 View Post

Is that a logical problem?

Lots of confusion out there over the change in accounting methods. The focus of trading seems to be on the lower than expected growth in iPhone sales.
  • Reply 52 of 97
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by macinthe408 View Post

And my friend the Apple employee still gets a serf-like salary.

Rate of pay isn?t based on the companies earnings, but on the ease of which the employee can be replaced.
  • Reply 53 of 97
    Quote:

The stock people will hammer this and AAPL will go down as a result.
  • Reply 54 of 97
    Quote:

Do you trot out this nonsense *every time* Apple posts a record quarter? You do realize it means less and less with each passing report, right?
  • Reply 55 of 97
    Quote:

Do you trout out this nonsense *every time* Apple posts a record quarter?

Sounds a little fishy to me.
  • Reply 56 of 97
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by obs1970 View Post

Long time ago, there was a car manufacturer called GM and a smaller one called Toyota...You know the rest of story. To me MS is following in the footsteps of GM.

Too bad Microsoft isnt GM. Regardless if you like Microsoft or not (this is a fanboard so i already know everyone considers Microsoft Hell and Bill Gates/Ballmer as Satan reincarnated) their software is on over a billion computers.

Apple does not compete directly with Microsoft in OS because Apple sells hardware to move its software. Its software is designed only for Apple use, as such they keep their platform to themselves and closed off.

Seriously, the only way Microsoft will be killed is if 1. Apple makes OS X beyond their hardware (i use a Mini 10v hackintosh and it works fantastic) but then the macs themselves lose luster which will never happen. 2. Microsoft just says screw it and shuts everything down and gets into the fashion industry or something equally retarded.
  • Reply 57 of 97
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ilogic View Post

It doesn't have to catch up, Apple is on fire right now with increasing mind share. Windows 7 will be around as long as XP has been around. The problem is that it's an aging architecture, they won't be able to hide its crippled underbelly behind a nice new interface update for much longer. The game is up. OS X is far more advanced and user friendly which allows it to run circles around Windows. I don't feel the need to give you examples, but Spaces, Quick Look, Preview play, Automator are rich examples of thoroughbred OS X capabilities.

The real cat that will topple Windows has not yet been released...

Ill be waiting for this cat then, because Snow Leopard doesnt exactly blow the hinges off Windows 7, and the same can be said for Windows 7, it doesnt kill Snow Leopard either.

The fact that XP remains is a testament to how good an OS it was, even with the headaches. I dont see people rocking Cheetah on their computers lol. If Windows 7 has the same longevity as XP then its a success.
  • Reply 58 of 97
    Quote:

Do you trot out this nonsense *every time* Apple posts a record quarter? You do realize it means less and less with each passing report, right?

Oh man where have i been at, Apple is now the leading market share holder for operating systems! Dont get bent out of shape because im bringing you back to reality.
  • Reply 59 of 97
    samabsamab Posts: 1,953member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by markb View Post

Obviously great growth from last year. It was a reasonable beat of the streets expectations. The 41% margin and record Mac sales offsetting the "disappointing" 400k unit iPhone miss.

iPhone channel inventory went up from 2.4 million iphones in September quarter to 2.7 million iphones in the christmas quarter.

So Apple really only sold 8.4 million iphones in the christmas quarter.
  • Reply 60 of 97
    Quote:

Oh man where have i been at, Apple is now the leading market share holder for operating systems! Dont get bent out of shape because im bringing you back to reality.

What reality? That cheap and plentiful sell and that the lower end of the retail pyramid is naturally the widest?

Great. So why would I want to be a part of the MS banana-boat?