Steve Jobs: Apple at $50 billion annually but just getting started

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
Apple's chief executive Steve Jobs announced that the company's annual revenues are now beyond $50 billion, but indicated that even more is in the pipeline to get excited about.

"If you annualize our quarterly revenue, it's surprising that Apple is now a $50+ billion company," Jobs said. "The new products we are planning to release this year are very strong, starting this week with a major new product that we're really excited about."

Apple sold 3.36 million Macs, including more than 2.1 million notebooks. That represented 33% growth in Mac sales, compared to an industry-wide 17% growth in PCs reported by IDG. Desktop sales reached 70% growth year over year thanks to the popular new iMac models. Apple's COO Tim Cook detailed even greater growth rates in Mac sales internationally.

It also sold 21 million iPods and 8.74 million iPhones, a record number of new mobile devices for the company. Apple retained roughly 70% market share in the global MP3 market with iPods; growth in the iPod touch reached 55%, while iPhones amounted to a 100% increase in sales over the previous quarter, comparing very favorably to Canalys' data showing industry smartphone growth at around 30%.

The "major new product" Jobs alluded to is expected to be a tablet-form factor device to be announced on Wednesday at the scheduled press event. Company executes speaking during today's earnings announcement explicitly avoided any comment on what the company might release on Wednesday, even dodging the question of whether any new products in the pipeline might contribute to Apple's future earnings.

As the company outperforms both its PC and smartphone competitors and maintains dominance over the entire MP3 market, the uncertainty of whether Apple will be able to successfully deploy a tablet-sized device (given the history of failure dogging that category of products) seems less of a risk than many observers have suggested.

Apple's confidence in launching a new, larger mobile device appears to be based on its years-long head start in releasing usable multitouch interface technology that customers have snapped up enthusiastically, in addition to the tight integration between its iTunes business and its mobile device hardware.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 31
    roos24roos24 Posts: 170member
    Most of those tealeaves-reading analysts were off again...
  • Reply 2 of 31
    daseindasein Posts: 139member
    How/where does that place Apple among other technology companies in terms of revenue and market capitalization?
  • Reply 3 of 31
    icyfogicyfog Posts: 338member
    If any company can successfully deploy a device in a category that's hounded by failure, it's Apple.
  • Reply 4 of 31
    If Jobs is excited. Can't wait
  • Reply 5 of 31
    wizard69wizard69 Posts: 13,377member
    Appleinsider - In your article didn't you mean executives? Oh and while I got your attention why don't you fix the iPhone specific site !

The numbers are very good but I wonder about the impact of the accounting change. That could be coloring the results some.

In any event Jobs didn't use the tablet word. So maybe the excitement about a tablet is mis placed.

Dave
  • Reply 6 of 31
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by iphonedeveloperthailand View Post

If Jobs is excited. Can't wait

He's always excited. That's his job.
  • Reply 7 of 31
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by wizard69 View Post

In any event Jobs didn't use the tablet word. So maybe the excitement about a tablet is mis placed.

What is this about a tablet?

• Reply 8 of 31
    2000:

Apple. The beleaguered computer company. Should look for buyers.

2010:

Apple. Still besieged. By eager buyers of its products.
  • Reply 9 of 31
    I wonder which device will be available Wednesday? "The new products we are planning to release this year are very strong, starting this week with a major new product that we're really excited about."?Steve Jobs
  • Reply 10 of 31
    While it's good news, and a well-run company, ... you can't really "annualize" profits from the christmas buying season and get an accurate number.

I can see Apple becoming a 50b company in the near future... but you can't expect all year to produce the same results that christmas does.
  • Reply 11 of 31
    Ummmmm. $50 Billion in revenue, not earnings.
  • Reply 12 of 31
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by icyfog View Post

If any company can successfully deploy a device in a category that's hounded by failure, it's Apple.

Couldn't agree more. That's what they've made a name for themselves doing lately.

MP3 players were basically an interesting idea badly executed until they came along.

Smartphones were something of a complex joke until they came along.

Assuming they are going to do a tablet, I expect the same success.
  • Reply 13 of 31
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mi_sat View Post

Ummmmm. $50 Billion in revenue, not earnings.

Thanks. I'd love to imagine APPL with 50B in earnings. I'm often shocked that people don't seem to understand the difference between sales and net income.
  • Reply 14 of 31
    rainrain Posts: 538member
    50 BILLION A YEAR!!!!!!!! ... and they still can't develop a graphic's driver that doesn't completely suck?

Who wants to bet that Apple announces they will no longer make a tower? Actually, who want's to bet they announce that they will no longer be developing OSX for desktop computers - to solely focus on the mobile market?

Cuz i'm willing to bet the graphics on the iSlab will outperform any Mac Pro sporting a $1000 video card by %800... just like a Commodore 64 can...

Seriously thou... Snow Leopard is a joke. My PPC G5 from 2004 gets better video performance in some situations

You would think that with 50 Billion a year, they could afford to put a little R&D into their flagship OS and bring it up to at least 2008 industry standards.
  • Reply 15 of 31
    quadra 610quadra 610 Posts: 6,757member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by rain View Post

50 BILLION A YEAR!!!!!!!! ... and they still can't develop a graphic's driver that doesn't completely suck?

Who wants to bet that Apple announces they will no longer make a tower? Actually, who want's to bet they announce that they will no longer be developing OSX for desktop computers - to solely focus on the mobile market?

Cuz i'm willing to bet the graphics on the iSlab will outperform any Mac Pro sporting a $1000 video card by %800... just like a Commodore 64 can...

Seriously thou... Snow Leopard is a joke. My PPC G5 from 2004 gets better video performance in some situations

You would think that with 50 Billion a year, they could afford to put a little R&D into their flagship OS and bring it up to at least 2008 industry standards.

• Reply 16 of 31
    welshdogwelshdog Posts: 1,896member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by rain View Post

U cracky!
  • Reply 17 of 31
    What a butthead. Go play your games.
  • Reply 18 of 31
    mr. hmr. h Posts: 4,870member
    Actually, I was just thinking the other day, if I was in charge at Apple, I'd get some more graphics driver developers because Apple's graphics drivers really do suck.
  • Reply 19 of 31
    "Steve Jobs, excited over 'major new product'"

I WONDER WHAT IT COULD BE !?!?!?!?!
  • Reply 20 of 31
    Major new product? It's iWork 10 boys and gals! hahaha.