McGraw-Hill CEO spills details on iPhone OS-based Apple tablet

Comments

• Reply 181 of 235
    olternautolternaut Posts: 1,376member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Ronbo View Post

People said almost the exact same thing about the original iPod.

Then they said almost the exact same thing about the original iPhone.

And now, thank God, someone has said it about the tablet (sight unseen... which is the best way to make a declaration like this, no doubt).

The product is going to be a success. My only regret is that now we have to wait for version 2 which will undoubtedly be much better and have all the kinks out with some major improvements.
  • Reply 182 of 235
    bertpbertp Posts: 274member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by nvidia2008 View Post

In Soviet Russia they send you to the Gulag for this kind of stuff. Pity.

Well, yes. It helps a lot to live where the rule of law has the upper hand.
  • Reply 183 of 235
    "If this wasn't an Apple sanctioned leak, I'd already be dead."

I assume that's probably true.

http://digitaldaily.allthingsd.com/20100126/qotd-244/
  • Reply 184 of 235
    aizmovaizmov Posts: 989member
    So the tablet is real!!!

Yeah!!! I'm buying it!
  • Reply 185 of 235
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Ronbo View Post

If it did run OS X then it would suck. It's been understood from the beginning of the iPhone OS that the old Mac OS X--beautiful as it is for the way humans interact with it--is not appropriate for a touch interface. The iPhone OS interface (and all the extraordinary architecture beneath it) wasn't mainly about how to make an interface for a PHONE. It's about how to make an interface for TOUCH. And after having made something that amazing, they'd just forget the whole point of it and go make the same mistake Windows did with its tablets? No. That won't happen.

I'm sorry you've gotten yourself so set on something that was never, ever in the cards. But it was never in the cards. Ever.

Let it go an look at the tablet tomorrow for whatever it turns out to be. Maybe you won't have a use for it. But don't damn the thing for not being something it was never going to be.

Of course a Tablet would run OS X poorly. What a tablet needs is a dumbed down, inferior version of OS X, which the iPhone OS basically is, to work at its best.

This is forward thinking at its finest

Dismissing a product before it's released is actually not sillier than making the commitment to buy it before it is officially unveiled. At least in the former case, changing one's mind after some retrospection doesn't lighten one's wallet by a grand.

BTW, most of the complaints about the Tablet are about the hypothetical tablet only. I certainly am not criticizing the real thing until it is revealed.
  • Reply 186 of 235
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by BertP View Post

Well, yes. It helps a lot to live where the rule of law has the upper hand.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Raltenbach View Post

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Mr. K View Post

You have to read between the lines here. While it's possible that this was just a major screwup, I think it's more likely that this was a play to get a few more publishers onboard at the last minute.

Yeah, I'm just going temporarily INSANE here.

Upon further thought, I think Apple PR has got a schedule of who and where to leak what. The only thing is that it is hard to control when and where things come out exactly.

Like McGraw could say certain things about Tablet and textbook content, but maybe he wasn't supposed to say iPhone OS.

I'm sure Apple, Inc. must be buzzing like a hive on fire.

It is traditional for Apple to be very tight lipped months in advance, but a few days before the actual unveiling usually that's when all the controlled and non-controlled leaks start to come really hard and fast.

There will probably be, a few hours before the event, a Wall Street Journal article describing more about the Tablet, WSJ has as I understand, been the usual controlled leak releaser a few hours before the events.
  • Reply 187 of 235
    john.bjohn.b Posts: 2,742member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Raltenbach View Post

All the same, he might want to have someone else start his car in the morning!
  • Reply 188 of 235
    quinneyquinney Posts: 2,528member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by BertP View Post

Agree. McGraw thinks a non-disclosure agreement doesn't apply to him, and/or he doesn't get how he could make a transgression. CNBC and FOX pulled his interview, and I bet McGraw is surprised about those pulls.

Or maybe his corporate attorney informed him of his mistake and he asked the networks to pull the interview.
  • Reply 189 of 235
    The economy isn't so terrible after all. Students will now be able to afford a $999 super e-Reader, along with their iMacs, MacBooks, iPhones, iTouches, etc.

We are all living in an Apple World
  • Reply 190 of 235
    john.bjohn.b Posts: 2,742member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by John.B View Post

All the same, he might want to have someone else start his car in the morning!

I wonder if he'll flinch the first time Steve Jobs says "Boom!"?
  • Reply 191 of 235
    Quote:

The Whining has already begun !!! w00t

In case you haven't found it, there is a special thread already set up for whining!

http://forums.appleinsider.com/showthread.php?t=106528

• Reply 192 of 235
    eluardeluard Posts: 319member
    Quote:

Yeah, I'm just going temporarily INSANE here.

Upon further thought, I think Apple PR has got a schedule of who and where to leak what. The only thing is that it is hard to control when and where things come out exactly.

Like McGraw could say certain things about Tablet and textbook content, but maybe he wasn't supposed to say iPhone OS.

I'm sure Apple, Inc. must be buzzing like a hive on fire.

It is traditional for Apple to be very tight lipped months in advance, but a few days before the actual unveiling usually that's when all the controlled and non-controlled leaks start to come really hard and fast.

There will probably be, a few hours before the event, a Wall Street Journal article describing more about the Tablet, WSJ has as I understand, been the usual controlled leak releaser a few hours before the events.

This makes no sense at all. I'd like to know what evidence you have that Apple have EVER sanctioned leaks --- as opposed to being unable to stop them, say.
  • Reply 193 of 235
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

Appearing on financial network CNBC Tuesday afternoon, the CEO of publisher McGraw-Hill confirmed that Apple will announce its tablet Wednesday, and that the device will run the iPhone mobile operating system.

In an interview with Erin Burnett on the program "Street Signs," Terry McGraw was asked about Apple's forthcoming tablet, expected to be announced at an event Wednesday. Burnett asked if textbooks would be available on the unannounced device, and McGraw said yes.

"Very exciting," he said. "You know, they will make their announcement tomorrow on this one. We have worked with Apple for quite awhile, and the tablet is going to be based on the iPhone operating system, and so it will be transferable.

"So what you're going to be able to do now -- we have a consortium of e-books, you know, and we have 95 percent of all of our materials that are in e-book formats on that one. So now, with the tablet, you're going to open up the higher education market, the professional market. The tablet is going to be just really terrific."

McGraw's confirmation of the tablet reaffirms rumors that have persisted for months that the company was in negotiations with Apple to provide comment on the tablet. Last week, one report alleged that McGraw-Hll officials were discussing how their software developers and Apple's could collaborate to create dynamic e-books. It was said those negotiations were just as focused on marketing as they are on software development.

McGraw's full interview is embedded below:

Terry is miss quoted here..

"So what you're going to be able to do now -- we have a consortium of e-books, you know, and we have 95 percent of all of our materials that are in e-book formats on that one. So now, with the tablet, you're going to open up the higher education market, the professional market. The tablet is going to be just really terrific."

what he really said is...

"So what you're going to be able to do now -- we have a consortium of e-books, you know, and we have 95 percent of all of our materials that are in e-book formats on that one. So now, with the tabloid, you're going to open up the higher education market, the professional market. The tabloid uh the tablet is going to be just really terrific."

watch the video and listen for yourself.

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2010/01...nfirms_tablet/
  • Reply 194 of 235
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Bergermeister View Post

Yababadabadoo!

The CEO, no less. Bet Apple gets a little PO'd at the leak...

Yep, and then he lets the name out of the bag too!

He refers to it as the "TABLOID."
  • Reply 195 of 235
    avidfcpavidfcp Posts: 381member
    The ? Of the day is, is this $999 hardware going to be able to stream content besides iTunes, QuickTime and YouTube? Or will we be seeing lots of squares unable to play results?
  • Reply 196 of 235
    nceencee Posts: 857member
    He knows exactly what he can say, and when he can say it.

Apple makes all of this stuff VERY clear to people, and unless he sees a clear cut way to do this and suffer no damage, he knew exactly what he was doing, and when he was doing it.

He didn't show pictures (or he'd be dead now)

He didn't speak about the ablet, directly (or he'd be dead now)

He didn't say what colors, what size it is going to be ? and so much more, that would have had him and his company, on Steve's shiet list.

Skip

PS When I come back from the dead, I want to be a book she reads, you know, one of those with "Pop-up" art when you open the pages
  • Reply 197 of 235
    Just fire the guy.

Not that big of a deal.

Steve

Sent from my iPad
  • Reply 198 of 235
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by alexfischer View Post

if it doesn't run osx it's most likely a deal-breaker for me. \

Me too. No OS X, NO SALE.

Unless of course we are talking about a VERY, VERY modified iPhone OS... but then it wouldn't be called iPhone OS anymore.
  • Reply 199 of 235
    lvidallvidal Posts: 158member
    He didn't say any real secrets. Everybody knows it's going to be a tablet device, a lot of evidence everywhere... He only confirmed that it runs iPhone OS, of course, it should be a more advance OS.

The surprises will be in the software and the hardware. Let's just wait a few hours more
  • Reply 200 of 235
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Lukeskymac View Post

Me too. No OS X, NO SALE.

Unless of course we are talking about a VERY, VERY modified iPhone OS... but then it wouldn't be called iPhone OS anymore.

Agreed - if it's basically an extension of the iTunes store and not a MAC then it's definitely NOT for me.